997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Clutch beginning to go... replacement suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Babag 007 is infamous around these partsBabag 007 is infamous around these parts
Clutch beginning to go... replacement suggestions?

Went to FabSpeed to Dyno my 08' 911 TT. Recently added cat back, ECU, and intercoolers.

Using Sport option, clutch began to slip at 4,000+ rpms and we could not complete the dyno. Not a problem in "regular mode".

I purchased the car this summer with 9,500 miles. Now has 12,800. Am advised warranty may not cover clutch.

Planning on parking the car in next 30 days for winter.

Options I am considering:

1) reinstall factory clutch
2) FabSpeed install heavier clutch (concerned about noise with double plate clutch)
3) time to buy 2010 or 2011 turbo S... (perhaps w/ PDK..?)

Suggestions greatly welcomed! Thanks.

B

Old 10-29-2010, 04:18 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Factory is not an option unless you plan fitting the gt2 clutch which is the same as the sachs 764 p/plate and organic disc. More hp and torques will require this.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:59 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Triple Disk and LWFW or 2011 "S" with PDK.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:30 AM
Babag 007 is infamous around these partsBabag 007 is infamous around these parts
Thanks gents. Good suggestions.

Will man-up to a beefier clutch or lay-down some more jing' for a beefier car

B

Old 10-29-2010, 08:04 AM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Babag 007
Went to FabSpeed to Dyno my 08' 911 TT. Recently added cat back, ECU, and intercoolers.

Using Sport option, clutch began to slip at 4,000+ rpms and we could not complete the dyno. Not a problem in "regular mode".

I purchased the car this summer with 9,500 miles. Now has 12,800. Am advised warranty may not cover clutch.

Planning on parking the car in next 30 days for winter.

Options I am considering:

1) reinstall factory clutch
2) FabSpeed install heavier clutch (concerned about noise with double plate clutch)
3) time to buy 2010 or 2011 turbo S... (perhaps w/ PDK..?)

Suggestions greatly welcomed! Thanks.

B
Sachs clutch kit w/764 PP is way to go!!

Hold up to mid 800whp with stock pedal

Old 10-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
I run the Clutch Masters stage 3 full disk in my with 800HP. Easy to engage, works great for street, and will be better on the wallet. Its a good idea to do the LWFW but not required. Read more here - http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/c...e-p-58568.html

Old 10-29-2010, 10:29 AM
CaptnCrash is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by vividracing
I run the Clutch Masters stage 3 full disk in my with 800HP. Easy to engage, works great for street, and will be better on the wallet. Its a good idea to do the LWFW but not required. Read more here - http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/c...e-p-58568.html

I have a question regarding the LWFW .. Usually when a manufacture puts those $%^* dual mass flywheels in it's to quiet transmission noise or reduce clutch shudder or both. Does using a LWFW that doesn't have the dual mass [ moving center section ] qualities cause more trans noise, rattling, or damage after long term use in a 997.2TT

TIA
--CC

Old 10-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
The LWFW would never damage your vehicle. The noise is subjective to the customer like an exhaust noise is or the ride of 20's. The performance benefits far out weigh the the small chatter when you are stopped at a light with the clutch depressed. It is nothing like a twin place system though.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Former Vendor
Kai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant future
Clutchmasters Stage 3 8Puck like Vivid said, we have 2 customers running this setup one with the LWFW (997T) and one w/o on a 996 GT2. They love it so do we! PM me for more info if you'd like.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Former Vendor
DO NOT run the 8puck in a street car. I had it in my 996TT. It is impossible to get out of 1st and 2nd gear. I guarantee this. That is why we worked with Clutch Masters to have the Stage 3 FULL disk. Holds the same capacity but easier to drive.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Great advice gentlemen. Appreciated.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:08 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Mine has the Clutch Masters Stage 3 w/ Kevlar plate and LWFW. Took me a couple of weeks to get used to the engagement point but now it's very easy to drive. A little noisy while sitting at a light but once you're moving the Fabspeed exhaust drowns it out anyway.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:45 PM
Seattle,

I see you lowered your 07' TT. My car is nearly the same ride w/ Fabspeed upgrades. Wondering what lowering the car did from both a cornering standpoint as well as making the ride bumpier. I'd love to corner better but I also don't want to have a rougher ride. Trying to avoid plunking down coin for a 2011...

Also, you mentioned that the new clutch took a few weeks to get used to. Is it a bear or, now that you are used to it, is it like factory smooth?

Thanks,

Brad

Old 10-30-2010, 02:11 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
The clutch master S/3 seems like a good choice from Vivid and you can not beat that price.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:05 AM
Thanks Robert. Agreed; the product and price appear spot on. While visiting Vivid I also reviewed their Clutch Masters 8.5in Twin Disk Clutch w/ Flywheel. More substantial and priced accordingly, I am unsure if it is overkill for my needs. Likely producing HP in the low to mid 600's. I also will likely put no more than 20,000 miles on the car over next 2 yrs before purchasing a 2011 or newer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch beginning to go... replacement suggestions?