997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Coolant level below min, coolant recommendations?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 10:19 AM
MIA997TTBeast is infamous around these partsMIA997TTBeast is infamous around these parts
Coolant level below min, coolant recommendations?

Guys, my turbo is leaking coolant. I have to take it to the dealer this coming Monday. For now I would want to fill up the coolant to proper levels.

Any recommendations of what brand coolant to look for? At any autoparts? I just need like few ounces, not much. Should I put water in it?

Let me know,

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2010, 10:59 AM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MIA997TTBeast
Guys, my turbo is leaking coolant. I have to take it to the dealer this coming Monday. For now I would want to fill up the coolant to proper levels.

Any recommendations of what brand coolant to look for? At any autoparts? I just need like few ounces, not much. Should I put water in it?

Let me know,

Thanks!
Porsche uses a special brand...I wasn't able to find it at the part stores...I know you can order it online though...

Old 10-30-2010, 11:03 AM
MIA997TTBeast is infamous around these partsMIA997TTBeast is infamous around these parts
Thanks... I'll just add water... It's not that much

Old 10-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Pentofrost SF for most P-cars between 1996 - 2010. Dilute 50% with distilled water. Do not add tap water to the system!

Old 10-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks man, I almost used tap water, silly me.

That's why I love these forums!

If the car never overheated, I guess I can drive it to the dealer, right?

Old 10-30-2010, 02:08 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Thanks man, I almost used tap water, silly me.

That's why I love these forums!

If the car never overheated, I guess I can drive it to the dealer, right?
Do you have a visible coolant leak - any evidence below the car? If you're only having to top up the overflow tank you shouldn't have any worries driving it.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:09 PM
QUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to behold
you can add distilled water.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:15 PM
I do have a leak, that is why I'm taking it to the dealer. It's only like 15 miles from my house so, plus I've been driving the sucker for like 100 miles. Today was when I saw a big puddle on the floor.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Peter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud of
Not to thread jack, but why does it say to mix the coolant with distilled water? is tap water really that bad for the cars?

I've never done that just wondering.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:01 PM
I guess are the contaminants in the water get slimmy with time. Distilled is more pure, hence no time for contaminants to create impurities with time.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Peter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud of
Ah I see, that makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for clearing it up.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Here's a link that describes the Pentofrost product line. If you read through it you will know as much about it as I do. It's manufactured for aluminum engines which sets it apart from the stuff you can buy at WalMart. Lots of NAPA and Car Quest stores carry it or can routinely get it in a couple of days through special order. Whereas much of the WalMart stuff, Prestone and the like, comes pre-diluted, this doesn't. Chalk it up to P-car exclusivity or something.

A 50 -50 mix is good to about -25F as I recall and a 60% coolant to 40% distilled water takes it to below -40F.

http://search.store.yahoo.net/rodi/c...vwcatalog=rodi

Best,

Old 10-30-2010, 07:50 PM
996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Recommendation...

Let me know,

Thanks!
No water at all to top off... just Porsche approved coolant ($33.00 gal.).

Old 10-30-2010, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Steamboat
Here's a link that describes the Pentofrost product line. If you read through it you will know as much about it as I do. It's manufactured for aluminum engines which sets it apart from the stuff you can buy at WalMart. Lots of NAPA and Car Quest stores carry it or can routinely get it in a couple of days through special order. Whereas much of the WalMart stuff, Prestone and the like, comes pre-diluted, this doesn't. Chalk it up to P-car exclusivity or something.

A 50 -50 mix is good to about -25F as I recall and a 60% coolant to 40% distilled water takes it to below -40F.

http://search.store.yahoo.net/rodi/c...vwcatalog=rodi

Best,
Thanks man, very informative.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:17 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
The manual doesn't mention which coolant to use or what type. So is it Pentafrost ++ (w/ silicates) or Pentafrost SF (w/o silicates)?

The manual also doesn't specify that it has to be distilled water, just water. Quite honestly if I'm gonna drink it, it should be OK for the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coolant level below min, coolant recommendations?