997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Sachs clutch shake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Botox has a spectacular aura aboutBotox has a spectacular aura aboutBotox has a spectacular aura about
Sachs clutch shake?

Is it normal to have a little shake when you slowly engage the clutch when at idle? It instantly goes away if I rev the engine a little bit, but has a shake sensation at idle when I engage it. Maybe it is because of the upgraded clutch strong grab? I have the standard awe 700s package. Thanks

Old 11-16-2010, 08:48 PM
CaptnCrash is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Botox
Is it normal to have a little shake when you slowly engage the clutch when at idle? It instantly goes away if I rev the engine a little bit, but has a shake sensation at idle when I engage it. Maybe it is because of the upgraded clutch strong grab? I have the standard awe 700s package. Thanks

Do you also have an after market light weight flywheel? If so that's probably the cause. The OEM flywheel is "dual mass" which means it has a damped, moving center which helps take that out among other things like neutral gear rattle.

--CC

Old 11-17-2010, 06:23 AM
Botox has a spectacular aura aboutBotox has a spectacular aura aboutBotox has a spectacular aura about
No, original flywheel. There is no chatter, just a little bit of shaking of the entire car if I slowly let out the clutch with the engine at idle. It isn't the engine stalling, but I believe it is the increased grab of the clutch causing the shaking sensation of the entire car which goes away when you touch the gas. There is no noise. Thanks

Old 11-17-2010, 08:24 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
what clutch disc material do you have? is it a sprung friction disk or solid hub>?

if you have a solid hub friction disc and hard biting material on that disc what your feeling is it biting and letting loose because of not enough clamp pressure (you letting the clutch out too slow with too low of rpms)

Old 11-17-2010, 08:46 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
what clutch disc material do you have? is it a sprung friction disk or solid hub>?

if you have a solid hub friction disc and hard biting material on that disc what your feeling is it biting and letting loose because of not enough clamp pressure (you letting the clutch out too slow with too low of rpms)
+1 let her go a touch quicker... If you know exactly what was put in the car we can give you a better idea of whats going on. Do you have the part numbers of the kit?

Old 11-17-2010, 12:44 PM
It is a Sachs Stage 2 upgrade as part of the AWE 700/750 Package. I do believe it is the greater clamping power of the clutch that is causing this, and the only reason it is an issue is I have a long driveway to back out of in the morning, and as I gently engage the clutch without touching the gas the shaking occurs. I will just give it a little gas to slide it and smooth it out. Thanks

Old 11-17-2010, 01:09 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
This is in reverse only? They tend to do that until you get a few thousand miles on them.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Yes, reverse is the most pronounced. My new garage setup requires a long reverse part. Have about 10K miles, but not much reverse.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:29 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
This is normal behavior, my Sachs/RUF does the same thing on occasion.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:01 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
My Stage 3 Clutch Masters (Kevlar) and LWFW combo does the same thing...especially in reverse!

Old 11-18-2010, 02:34 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Botox
Yes, reverse is the most pronounced. My new garage setup requires a long reverse part. Have about 10K miles, but not much reverse.
Mine worked it self out after 2000 miles. My driveway is very short so the directional breakin is not the issue.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I feel better. I figured it was the clutch trying to grab. Good compromise for no slip at full boost!

Old 11-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Zeroh has a spectacular aura aboutZeroh has a spectacular aura about
Botox if its like a slight vibration when you let out the clutch then it sounds similar to my upgraded Sachs plate.

I have actually been wondering how normal it is also, so glad to hear its more common that I thought...