997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

thoughts on upgrading turbos....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 11:57 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by salerno713
Partly because I have the fabspeed exhaust which has sport cats, it kind of chokes and more power can come from the car from being cat-less... 600+ WHP is still more then enough for me... EVOMS rocks..
The 775 kit still uses the fabspeed exhaust with 200 cell cats.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:26 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
bigger turbos bigger lag, you can always use sport cams or increase compression ratio...
ECU + sport cams and increase the compression ration !
listen to this advice !

Old 11-21-2010, 08:01 PM
fastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yalmutawa
ECU + sport cams and increase the compression ration !
listen to this advice !
in your signature i noticed ... 900 protomotive package!! wow that's crazy. what does that package include?

Old 11-22-2010, 02:01 AM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 997 GT3 RS/TT
bigger turbos bigger lag, you can always use sport cams or increase compression ratio...
SPI modded vtg's and sledghammer ran 0-60 2.6-2.7sec with stock cams and stock compression ratio.

Will we ever see ur verified 100-200?

Old 11-22-2010, 02:05 AM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Flunati1
i love my 2007 6 speed tt but am looking to get rid of the "lag"... yes the car is fast but theres something to be said about being able to step on the gas and go without having to wait for that slingshot feeling... the only mods so far are APR tune, headers and exhaust.... im leaning towards larger turbos.... the car is going in monday for plugs so any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.... also, the mechanic working on my car is an evom dealer... always telling me that there tune is better..?? but never pushing to sell it, any thoughts on changing tunes would be appreciated also,,, thanks
Most of +750hp from SPI, Proto, TPC..etc r way to go

Old 11-22-2010, 02:31 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
Quote:
Originally Posted by 997 GT3 RS/TT
SPI modded vtg's and sledghammer ran 0-60 2.6-2.7sec with stock cams and stock compression ratio.

Will we ever see ur verified 100-200?

Huh believe me and be nice with the members

Last edited by bbywu; 11-24-2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: inflammatory remarks removed
Old 11-22-2010, 02:48 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
i love my 2007 6 speed tt but am looking to get rid of the "lag"... yes the car is fast but theres something to be said about being able to step on the gas and go without having to wait for that slingshot feeling... the only mods so far are APR tune, headers and exhaust.... im leaning towards larger turbos.... the car is going in monday for plugs so any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.... also, the mechanic working on my car is an evom dealer... always telling me that there tune is better..?? but never pushing to sell it, any thoughts on changing tunes would be appreciated also,,, thanks
Something doesn't gel here. As Bogg says APR has the fastest 60 to 130 so maybe it is the plugs. Eitherway your mechanic is still an Evom's dealer so if he is genuine in his undertakings then surely its not too much trouble for him line up an evoms car to prove his point....else there is a sell somewhere. And like Bogg i have the proto tune and i honestly find it hard to get any lag unless i do something silly like shift from 2nd straight into 5th and then stand on it.

Originally Posted by The Bogg
fwiw, the APR tune has the fastest verified 60-130 time on a car without upgraded turbos. Haven't seen any numbers for the 60-130 on the EVOMS cars but just something for you to consider before you go through a wallet lightening. I know your complaint is with "lag" so I think you should try to drive an EVOMS car too so that you can see if there is an improvement with lag.

I just have a Proto tune and AWE exhaust and in sport mode I'd have to say that I don't really notice a lot of lag if I'm in the correct gear for the speed. Feels just like a big block to me most of the time.
Yep. As Bogg says.....feels just like a big block most of the time. Actually make that a very big block.

Btw i notice your car is a 6 speed. If you have a stock clutch there is no way its going to hold the torque of that APR tune so thats where your problem may be. Sachs 764 pp with organic disc is a necessity.....and maybe the plugs while he's at it. And then lets here about the lag.

Last edited by speed21; 11-22-2010 at 02:56 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:42 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
Yeh. Definitely need a clutch upgrade with a tune if you want all that power to the wheels especially in sport.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:50 AM
petec4s is infamous around these parts
try FVD Brombacher

I went for Stage 1 upgrade (100 cell exhausts-316 stainless), air filters, ecu remap and put on Champion RS 98 super light forged alloys. Cant beleive what a rocket. Turbo lag and early red line had bugged me but after the upgrades I have lost the lag and the AWD has to really work to hold a straight line!

Old 11-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Flunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura about
i forgot to mention that i have a stage 3 clutch already (that was real fun learning to drive!!) well, i dropped the car off this morning so i guess i'll know by tomorrow... plugs were changed 1500 miles ago...

Old 11-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Flunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura about
and on the way to the shop the check engine light came on and stayed on.... felt like i was running with water in the gas?? oh well, i was interested in upgrading the turbos before the lag and the engine light anyway... i dont think APR will upgrade their tune to accomodate upgraded turbos thats one of the reasons im thinking of switching to EVOMS,,,

Old 11-22-2010, 05:04 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
and on the way to the shop the check engine light came on and stayed on.... felt like i was running with water in the gas?? oh well, i was interested in upgrading the turbos before the lag and the engine light anyway... i dont think APR will upgrade their tune to accomodate upgraded turbos thats one of the reasons im thinking of switching to EVOMS,,,
Luckily it was on the way to the shop, im sure Taso will check that out in no time. EVOMS is the way to go!

Old 11-22-2010, 05:12 PM
yeah, im just not sure which kit to start with.... not sure if i want to spend for the 750 kit just yet.... but definately going to switch over to evoms... sounds like a decent deal.. when you upgrade to the next level they will discount the price..

Old 11-22-2010, 06:40 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Something doesn't sound right here. I hope you get things sorted out but I am not confident that the APR tune is the problem. Can't believe I'm defending another brand of tune but based on other users' experience it is supposedly really good. Keep us posted.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
But why upgrade to a tune with modded turbos that cant produce the same 60 to 130 times as APR, plus has no switching on the fly. Doesnt add up?? Maybe it is your fuel??

yeah, im just not sure which kit to start with.... not sure if i want to spend for the 750 kit just yet.... but definately going to switch over to evoms... sounds like a decent deal.. when you upgrade to the next level they will discount the price..
Im confused with all the "not sures" and then the "definately". And theres been no "selling" going on here .

I respect it's your decison but wouldn't it be wise to at least have a test drive in a car with the evoms tune first? What happens after you spend all that money and later find it was a backward step? Will they then reflash the APR tune back in for you and refund you?

Have you asked madsex343 and skandalist447 about their APR tunes and if they have really bad turbo lag. It may pay to and ask them . These guys rave about the APR. I know madsex has a 6 speed and a heavy duty clutch too.

Originally Posted by The Bogg
Something doesn't sound right here. I hope you get things sorted out but I am not confident that the APR tune is the problem. Can't believe I'm defending another brand of tune but based on other users' experience it is supposedly really good. Keep us posted.
You dont say!!

And like you Bogg i'm not usually in to defending a tune i've been highly critical of in the past.. but for anyone to dive in head first like this indicates there is a hell of a lot more to the story .

Last edited by speed21; 11-22-2010 at 08:51 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: thoughts on upgrading turbos....