997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

thoughts on upgrading turbos....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Flunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura about
Bogg, Not sure that with upgraded turbos and a tune that supports the ugraded turbos that is giving you between 620 and 640 HP wouldnt be faster than a tune that is giving you 540 HP,,,??? Spoke with a local APR installer who feels APR should modify there parameters more to accomodate larger tubos... so why bother with larger turbos if your not going to optimize... the not sures and definatelys, well evoms has several different tunes/kits for upgrading... depending on your budget and what HP you are looking for,,, so, the not sure=which kit, the definately=changing to evoms..... and there isnt a hell of alot more to the story...

Old 11-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Flunati1
Bogg, Not sure that with upgraded turbos and a tune that supports the ugraded turbos that is giving you between 620 and 640 HP wouldnt be faster than a tune that is giving you 540 HP,,,??? Spoke with a local APR installer who feels APR should modify there parameters more to accomodate larger tubos... so why bother with larger turbos if your not going to optimize... the not sures and definatelys, well evoms has several different tunes/kits for upgrading... depending on your budget and what HP you are looking for,,, so, the not sure=which kit, the definately=changing to evoms..... and there isnt a hell of alot more to the story...
Good luck on your journey Flunati1. I don't know if you realize this but changing out your APR tune for another is bigger news than you think. Especially given your complaints of the lag.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Flunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura about
quick question... regardless of tunes, are there parameters in the ECU that should be changed after upgrading turbos??

Old 11-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
quick question... regardless of tunes, are there parameters in the ECU that should be changed after upgrading turbos??
Apparently so. I know if i change out my turbos and intercoolers Todd K re does the tune file to suit the changes....its all part of the service and included in the price. I imagine evoms would be the same but they would be best to answer that question on their tune.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:14 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I guess you missed the threads on this...APR may be 540hp but apparently over 600lbft of torque and VERIFIED 60-130 of 6.5 by a couple of members here. For comparison purposes, there are verified times of 6.75 -7.3 with a variety of "700hp" kits with upgraded vtgs etc...

Old 11-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by The Bogg
I guess you missed the threads on this...APR may be 540hp but apparently over 600lbft of torque and VERIFIED 60-130 of 6.5 by a couple of members here. For comparison purposes, there are verified times of 6.75 -7.3 with a variety of "700hp" kits with upgraded vtgs etc...
I don't know about you Boggy but this thread is a major 6speed headline. Possibly one of the biggest and most controversial stories of 2010. Imagine the fallout when the news gets out that an APR tune has been changed out for an evoms . Wait till the 100 to 200 thread gets a hold of this one. Wow!! The greek guys need to read this!! I cant believe it myself!

Kudos to the mechanic and Evoms!! Getting this one over the line would be like landing a marlin. Actually make that a whale.

Last edited by speed21; 11-23-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:59 PM
so if thats the case then why hasnt evryone here switched to APR... i dont mean to sound like a dick... im just trying to figure this stuff out. The only guys that have come up with these times are 2 guys from Greece (my wife is greek so i have to be careful here) we all try to strive for whats best for our cars and whats going to give us the biggest bang for the buck... i still dont understand how if you upgrade your turbos and the APR tune is a standard stock, 93 oct, 100 oct and valet settings with no changes made for the larger turbos and the other tuners do make changes... look, i dont want to spend the extra thousands if its not going to better my times... and yes i did see the torque increase on the APR website it is very impressive!! and trust me i do notice the torque when im driving... im just looking to go faster without buying a GT2... which will never happen...

Old 11-23-2010, 04:01 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Well...after reading some of this thread...I thought of the following....
1)Maybe someone is trying to burry APR performance...
2)Maybe someone simply didnt use stage 2 APR flash...It is usually set to program mode 3...(1 is stock,2 is sport flash and 3 is race flash...)My 6,48 60-130 was achieved with that flash...even with premium pump fuel you feel a great difference from stage 1 flash...
however,and just because I want to be fair about products used at my car,i ve emailed APR twice requesting an answer whether further tune is needed in order to take full advantage of new ICs and catless exhaust...They still havent answered me...And that is a very bad customer support...APR Greece does its best to sell software here (we have 12,yes 12 997TT flashed with APR) but customer support at headquarters is the worse i ve ever seen...

Old 11-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by skandalis447
Well...after reading some of this thread...I thought of the following....
1)Maybe someone is trying to burry APR performance...
2)Maybe someone simply didnt use stage 2 APR flash...It is usually set to program mode 3...(1 is stock,2 is sport flash and 3 is race flash...)My 6,48 60-130 was achieved with that flash...even with premium pump fuel you feel a great difference from stage 1 flash...
however,and just because I want to be fair about products used at my car,i ve emailed APR twice requesting an answer whether further tune is needed in order to take full advantage of new ICs and catless exhaust...They still havent answered me...And that is a very bad customer support...APR Greece does its best to sell software here (we have 12,yes 12 997TT flashed with APR) but customer support at headquarters is the worse i ve ever seen...
I was waiting for you to chime in here skand. What took you so long?
Is it that wonderful relaxing greek lifestyle? Btw does your tune have bad lag? Can you give some info here to clear this point up. I also recall you recently saying how you found a problem with the boost escaping so maybe Flunati1 is having similar problems??.

so if thats the case then why hasnt evryone here switched to APR... i dont mean to sound like a dick... im just trying to figure this stuff out. The only guys that have come up with these times are 2 guys from Greece (my wife is greek so i have to be careful here) we all try to strive for whats best for our cars and whats going to give us the biggest bang for the buck... i still dont understand how if you upgrade your turbos and the APR tune is a standard stock, 93 oct, 100 oct and valet settings with no changes made for the larger turbos and the other tuners do make changes... look, i dont want to spend the extra thousands if its not going to better my times... and yes i did see the torque increase on the APR website it is very impressive!! and trust me i do notice the torque when im driving... im just looking to go faster without buying a GT2... which will never happen...
The verified box times don't lie. Now if on the other hand you do a vbox time and its way different than the greek guys then that makes for a different story and debate. But until that happens i think the greek guys should be able to uphold their claim as being genuine and worthy of attention.
Im not aware of anyone with an APR tune that has done verified Vbox times other than Skand and costas. If such times exist i would like to see them.

Last edited by speed21; 11-23-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:18 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
From an engineering point of view,i would suggest FIRST to get rid of the check engine light (whatever it is) and THEN to start thinking to modify your turbos...APR flash is so fast (at least at stage2 that I use everyday)that almost none mod VTG car can override my time...Think twice before you spent much $ and when you test your car you manage a time just below 7 for 60-130...

Old 11-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Banned
From an engineering point of view,i would suggest FIRST to get rid of the check engine light (whatever it is) and THEN to start thinking to modify your turbos...APR flash is so fast (at least at stage2 that I use everyday)that almost none mod VTG car can override my time...Think twice before you spent much $ and when you test your car you manage a time just below 7 for 60-130...
Makes good sense to me . No point hosing good dollars if its something simple to fix thats causing the problem. Plus, Vbox time don't lie.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:25 PM
yup... that is what was being looked at first... new plugs in and fuel filter which apperantluy was constipating fuel intake... glad you chimed in,,, thanks

Old 11-23-2010, 04:29 PM
You are welcome...but please read the codes (since you had a check engine light...)We can help you that way...

Old 11-23-2010, 05:08 PM
You are welcome...but please read the codes (since you had a check engine light...)We can help you that way...
I see that you are from Athens... have you been over to Xios.. My wife is from there... we go for 2 wks in august...

Old 11-23-2010, 05:11 PM
also... the dealer by me who installs APR told me not to drive it with the race flash unless it has 100 oct fuel...???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: thoughts on upgrading turbos....