997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

thoughts on upgrading turbos....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 05:14 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Well...its designed to perform its best with 100octane fuel...But will adapt to whatever fuel you use...switch to that and put the best pump you can find...But first read the codes to fix the check engine light...Yes i ve been to xios...a few times...

Old 11-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Flunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by skandalis447
Well...its designed to perform its best with 100octane fuel...But will adapt to whatever fuel you use...switch to that and put the best pump you can find...But first read the codes to fix the check engine light...Yes i ve been to xios...a few times...
thanks,,, will do

Old 11-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Flunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura about
last question... do you think using this flash with upgraded turbos would be worth while?? probably garretts...

Old 11-23-2010, 06:55 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Flunati1
so if thats the case then why hasnt evryone here switched to APR......
A fair question. Different people have different priorities. For me the 60-130 time is most important. I don't really care about going much faster than that, and it's not even that often that I go over 100mph.

I paid good money for the tune I have so I can either eat it and get the APR or spend just a little more than what the APR would now cost me and get upgraded turbos and i/cs and be close for 60-130 and faster above that speed for whatever that is worth.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Flunati1
so if thats the case then why hasnt evryone here switched to APR... ..
I think one of the key reasons today is that there doesnt seem to be any APR users prepared to post their times to support what the greek guys have achieved.... plus then there is APR shooting themselves in both feet by giving flawed info when they were put to the test in the earlier apr threads....and then there was that crazy conflicting boost story which has thankfully now been finally put to rest by costas. It all certainly didnt leave a warm fuzzy feeling with too many potential buyers I imagine. On the surface the APR appears to be a very good tune but there is no stream of positive feedback from users with supporting data. And now there is you saying it has bad lag and you want to get rid of it. If you can you really should try to do some vbox times to help out and, it will show you just how good or bad your APR tune really is vs your tune alternatives. When i shopped for a tune APR was high on my list but again their agents knew absolutely nothing of any value to instill any confidence, in fact to the contrary....blew me ice cold. So there are enough good reasons just there.

Well...after reading some of this thread...I thought of the following....
1)Maybe someone is trying to burry APR performance...
2)Maybe someone simply didnt use stage 2 APR flash...It is usually set to program mode 3...(1 is stock,2 is sport flash and 3 is race flash...)My 6,48 60-130 was achieved with that flash...even with premium pump fuel you feel a great difference from stage 1 flash...
however,and just because I want to be fair about products used at my car,i ve emailed APR twice requesting an answer whether further tune is needed in order to take full advantage of new ICs and catless exhaust...They still havent answered me...And that is a very bad customer support...APR Greece does its best to sell software here (we have 12,yes 12 997TT flashed with APR) but customer support at headquarters is the worse i ve ever seen...
Support is a big thing for many tune buyers. It must be very dissapointing getting such lousy support from APR especially given all the efforts you have gone to in flying their flag. No wonder you guys are still left standing on your own in Greece. Maybe Flunati1 can help you guys with some times??

Have you done a 60 to 130 using the 93 tune file?? That would also be interesting.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:28 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
When i got my turbo 2 yrs ago i considered an APR tune as there was a dealer in my city, but that dealer had no Porsche experience & the only info i could find on here was not so positive except that youtube video of some race car driver getting loose with his tt & the numbers they where talking about.I didn't feel comfortable at the dealer so i went Protomotive instead as i new i would also be doing other mods down the road which proto supported.I also wondered how safe the APR tune is compared to others as it seems they must be pushing the limits to get those numbers.The local dealer has since closed shop so i would have been on my now it sounds like ,i'm happy with my proto but always wondered about the APR tune ,it def seems like they need some better marketing if it's so good.I need to borrow my friends pbox to check my times to see where i'm at ,since i now went mod crazy lol.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by twturbo
I also wondered how safe the APR tune is compared to others as it seems they must be pushing the limits to get those numbers. i'm happy with my proto but always wondered about the APR tune ,it def seems like they need some better marketing if it's so good.
That is certainly something thats always sat in the back of my mind and in many ways detered me from the APR altogether. It still sits in my mind as i know everything has its limmits and its best not having things right on the limit .

I'm also happy with my Proto too... but wonder about the APR and if it is really worth changing to. Whilst originally i didnt place too much emphasis on the switching on the fly function i've since found there are certainly conveniences in having that....especially when taking it back into the dealers for warranty related issues....which ive had to do on a few occassions now unfortunately. So, today for me the switching on the fly function would be the main attracting factor for me making a change.

And, the best marketing APR could ever hope for is user feedback and they havent got much of that outside the usual agent (vague borderlining total bs) assurances that its "really good" and,...the infamous greek guys with the 60 to 130 times . And with those times its hard to dispute that its not a very fast tune. I just cant figure why APR treats these guys so badly. These guys are all they have. It's as if they are not even interested in their own tune and they are happy to forget about it along with the users.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:56 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
APR offers a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee. So before spending extra $ on upgraded turbos, try out the APR tune and if your Pbox data is not what you expect, then nothing lost.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:49 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TTdude
APR offers a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee. So before spending extra $ on upgraded turbos, try out the APR tune and if your Pbox data is not what you expect, then nothing lost.
TT the op has the Apr.
Me, well if they offer that over here then I would try it...but on my last inquiry that wasn't the case. Like boggy I'm not unhappy with my proto so my dollars are probably best spent on turbos and ics in favor of eating a perfectly good tune with good service etc as APR want silly money for that tune over here plus it's really only the fly switching....
On the other hand if I was in usa near an agent and didnt have a tune yet then it's worth a punt to try it out for sure.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:23 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Once again,first thing needed is to check the codes to find out the problem...Dont forget the car has a check engine light...It is wrong to believe APR flash is the problem...
On the other hand,when we are saying APR pushes the motor too hard,we need to consider that modified VTGs push the motor as well...So in either way motor will be pushed...
Finally of course APR flash is ONLY for standard VTGs.Dont even think to mod your turbos and use the same flash...

Old 11-24-2010, 06:05 AM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
I would go with our P800 package for your 997TT for at least two reasons:

Spools exactly the same as modified VTGs - if not even faster!

Provides an additional 100hp on the top end compared to modded vtg's and the mid-range is tuned for linear power delivery.

Check out the link in my signature.

If you have any questions give me a call, I will be in today till 6pm.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:34 AM
spooling is infamous around these parts
Tkx is great I also trust them with all my cars. Everything from changing tires to full services.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:39 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Neil Switzer
I would go with our P800 package for your 997TT for at least two reasons:

Spools exactly the same as modified VTGs - if not even faster!

Provides an additional 100hp on the top end compared to modded vtg's and the mid-range is tuned for linear power delivery.

Check out the link in my signature.

If you have any questions give me a call, I will be in today till 6pm.
Let us know when it comes down to $2500-3000

I wish! It's quite a bit faster 60-130 than modded vtgs. If it really spools up as fast as the vtgs then it's definitely
something special.

Last edited by The Bogg; 11-24-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:53 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
TT the op has the Apr.
Me, well if they offer that over here then I would try it...but on my last inquiry that wasn't the case. Like boggy I'm not unhappy with my proto so my dollars are probably best spent on turbos and ics in favor of eating a perfectly good tune with good service etc as APR want silly money for that tune over here plus it's really only the fly switching....
On the other hand if I was in usa near an agent and didnt have a tune yet then it's worth a punt to try it out for sure.
I agree. All I'm saying is if the money back guarantee is real, then anyone can load up APR software and test it out regardless if you have a Proto tune or whatever as long as you still have stock vtgs. Obviously, with a Proto tune, you can just reflash it back to Proto very easily through the OBDII port. I would do it just to test it out but I don't have stock vtg's.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:20 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
I have isntalled my new TPC/PROTOMOTIVE hotsides and couldn't be happier. The car spins 1st and 2nd gear very bad, imust change my PS2 with some semislicks.
I raced a hayabusa from 180 to 300 and beat it! I haven't tried to PBOX the car buti will very soon.

Last edited by milou; 11-24-2010 at 11:22 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: thoughts on upgrading turbos....