997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

thoughts on upgrading turbos....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:35 AM
madsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by speed21
Like yourself, i dont understand how they do it either. But thats not to say they havent achieved it. The Greek guys surely cant be having a complete lend of everyone here on the 6....i just dont believe that. Sure, they may have some favourable variables that may be working to their favor somehow but where madsex343 is concerned i am fully aware of what tunes he's tested and for him to say the APR is the best he's used is saying quite a lot.....actually a hell of a lot. Afterall he had the choice the select any tune he wanted after trying many of them and he chose the APR for his new car in favor. Im not saying the Evoms is a bad tune at all but to say its faster than the APR is a very very big call without a Vbox test....especially knowing what ive been told.

Eitherway, i congratulate you on your decision and wish you only the best with your choice, but i honestly think you have missed a unique opportunity by not at least Vboxing your APR prior to scrapping it.

+1000
but I would like to chime in if I may at this point. I believe our overseas friend here who wants to change the APR tune he has, has NEVER yet used the RACE setting. It adds at least 50 HP even without using MS109 (use premium unleaded and you will see). If you add MS109 you will blow away even upgraded VTG turbos (ok maybe not all of them-as there seems to be a good progress over time with them as well- but most of them) and in my opinion running in the pump setting with 540HP really does not do justice to the tune... 100-200 in 6sec or even sub 6 and 200-300 in the region of 15secs is simply amazing for just a tune and an exhaust... Now if you add intakes, hybrid vtgs, hybrid IC's etc ofcourse you can expect (if they are form a reputable tuner) a better performace, however the cost is at least 3 times than what I have paid... If the difference (believe me it will not be that big...) justifies you dumping what you have already paid for the tune and paying all over again from scratch for a questionable 2-3 car lengths TOPS in a 40-200mph roll on race then by all means go ahead and pull the trigger

Old 11-30-2010, 08:20 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Thats true Bob. And with APR as i said when ever i've tried ive always got someone to answer the phone but its been the lacl of being able to get good info, thats been my experience. Not very confidence inspiring i must admit but is it good enough reason to change the tune??....i just dont know. I'd be looking for some tangible comparative data beforehand. Anyways.....each to his own.
I think there is inherent bias about lack of communication and information when you try and compare a tuner (not dealer) who has an online presence on this forum and one that does not.

bob

Old 11-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Flunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by salerno713
Hey Flunati; I got to check out your beast when I was at TKX today, love the wheels. TKX and EVOMS tend to have a really good relationship, and no matter which parts you choose, they ship OVERNIGHT to TKX all the time... As Taso talked me into my EVO build; they were quick with all the parts, and as far as tuning; they do their flashing in house.
Best of luck to you with whichever package you choose.
Thanks!! looking forward to getting it back soon... i went with the EVOMSit 620/650 kit.... thought it was a good place to start... taso said that EVOMS will discount there packages as you move up... thought it was a pretty good deal....

Old 11-30-2010, 09:13 AM
Flunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura about
just too add.... the APR tune was in the car when i bought it... but, whatever... im just exploring the different options for this car... everybody is going to have an opinion... every car is different.... every tune responds differently.... bottom line is that one day soon i would like to track this car and further mod the engine... it didnt seem that the tune had any upgradeability (is that a word??)... anyway.. i had a jeep srt8 that i had 4 or five different tunes (they were considerably cheaper than our porsches... 79-100 dollars)... all claimed to be the best... all had different 0-60 times but 1/4 mile was the exact everytime... for whatever thats worth....

Old 11-30-2010, 09:27 AM
one other thing i just noticed also was that out of the 15-20 or so people that have repsonded to this thread only 2 of you have the APR tune.,...??????????????????????? How can everyone here with the exception of those 2 bragg about this tune??

Old 11-30-2010, 01:48 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Flunati1
one other thing i just noticed also was that out of the 15-20 or so people that have repsonded to this thread only 2 of you have the APR tune.,...??????????????????????? How can everyone here with the exception of those 2 bragg about this tune??
the numbers don't lie (60-130). the butt dyno is great but may not be accurate.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
just too add.... the APR tune was in the car when i bought it... but, whatever... im just exploring the different options for this car... everybody is going to have an opinion... every car is different.... every tune responds differently.... bottom line is that one day soon i would like to track this car and further mod the engine... it didnt seem that the tune had any upgradeability (is that a word??)... anyway.. i had a jeep srt8 that i had 4 or five different tunes (they were considerably cheaper than our porsches... 79-100 dollars)... all claimed to be the best... all had different 0-60 times but 1/4 mile was the exact everytime... for whatever thats worth....
Well its really only Bogg, me and TT dude that have expressed any real concerns over your logic but anyways.....

And any questions and scrutiny toward you has stemmed from having an open mind to other tunes being able to deliver the goods outside of the Protomotive tunes what we have chosen. I understand many members here are very protective over their choice of tune and thats fine..... Human nature usually finds us all at one stage being a little protective, defensive and funny over our choices. But in this instance what struck me as being particularly odd was that you had a tune (APR) which you now inform cost you nothing, yet had no interest in at least benchmarking it, yet performance was one of your key goals. So logically to change out a tune such as the APR, which currently has produced some of the best times ever recorded, made me wonder why would anyone do that without at least establishing a benchmark from which to evaluate your (any) intended gains from whatever spend you embarked upon.

Originally Posted by The Bogg
the numbers don't lie (60-130). the butt dyno is great but may not be accurate.
+100%. It pays to know where you have made any gains for the dollars spent. Particularly if improved performance is what you are seeking to begin with.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Well its really only Bogg, me and TT dude that have expressed any real concerns over your logic but anyways.....

And any questions and scrutiny toward you has stemmed from having an open mind to other tunes being able to deliver the goods outside of the Protomotive tunes what we have chosen. I understand many members here are very protective over their choice of tune and thats fine..... Human nature usually finds us all at one stage being a little protective, defensive and funny over our choices. But in this instance what struck me as being particularly odd was that you had a tune (APR) which you now inform cost you nothing, yet had no interest in at least benchmarking it, yet performance was one of your key goals. So logically to change out a tune such as the APR, which currently has produced some of the best times ever recorded, made me wonder why would anyone do that without at least establishing a benchmark from which to evaluate your (any) intended gains from whatever spend you embarked upon.

+100%. It pays to know where you have made any gains for the dollars spent. Particularly if improved performance is what you are seeking to begin with.
I hear ya... i have a funny feeling had i bought the APR tune for 3000 i would not be so quick to change... oh well, tomorrow is yet another day!!