997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

thoughts on upgrading turbos....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Flunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura about
thoughts on upgrading turbos....

i love my 2007 6 speed tt but am looking to get rid of the "lag"... yes the car is fast but theres something to be said about being able to step on the gas and go without having to wait for that slingshot feeling... the only mods so far are APR tune, headers and exhaust.... im leaning towards larger turbos.... the car is going in monday for plugs so any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.... also, the mechanic working on my car is an evom dealer... always telling me that there tune is better..?? but never pushing to sell it, any thoughts on changing tunes would be appreciated also,,, thanks

Old 11-20-2010, 05:01 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
Theres not much you can do to get rid of the lag totally, but upgrading the turbos is that feeling your looking for.. You said your mechanic is an EVOM dealer in NY, I just dropped my car off at my mechanics in NY whos also an EVOMS dealer and suggested I do their EVT700/750 kit. EVO makes a kit for the stock VTGs and then they offer a kit for the GT30 garret turbo which is an expensive mod but many say worth it.. Whos your mechanic Flunati?

Old 11-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Flunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura about
Tasso at tkx performance.... the EVT700 kit is what i was thinking about....

Old 11-20-2010, 05:09 PM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flunati1
i love my 2007 6 speed tt but am looking to get rid of the "lag"... yes the car is fast but theres something to be said about being able to step on the gas and go without having to wait for that slingshot feeling... the only mods so far are APR tune, headers and exhaust.... im leaning towards larger turbos.... the car is going in monday for plugs so any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.... also, the mechanic working on my car is an evom dealer... always telling me that there tune is better..?? but never pushing to sell it, any thoughts on changing tunes would be appreciated also,,, thanks
bigger turbos bigger lag, you can always use sport cams or increase compression ratio...

Old 11-20-2010, 05:09 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
Taso at TKX is doing the EVT750 kit on my porsche right now at TKX im sure if you get there this week you can take a look at all the parts while its going all back together.. They do great work there and I trust him with all my cars.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:12 PM
NICE!!! im actually dropping my car off monday morning, i'll have to ask him...

Old 11-20-2010, 05:13 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Without a tune to take advantage of new turbos, it would be a waste of $$. AFAIK, APR only has one tune offering; no 'upgrades' I am aware of.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:15 PM
haha be sure to ask him... its the white 997tt on the lift... it should be out of there by mid week. Be sure to ask him for a test drive in it! its a tiptronic and should give you a good feel to what your looking at... you have the owners consent

Last edited by salerno713; 11-20-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:18 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by salerno713
Taso at TKX is doing the EVT750 kit on my porsche right now at TKX im sure if you get there this week you can take a look at all the parts while its going all back together.. They do great work there and I trust him with all my cars.
Car is there anyway. Get the 775 upgrades

Old 11-20-2010, 05:26 PM
small world!!! and thanks!!! I work with a few guys that use tasso and they have nothing but great things to say so i'm really looking forward to having him do the work.... so now u have me leaning towards the EVT 750... what turbos do u have??

Old 11-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by bonehead
Car is there anyway. Get the 775 upgrades
The EVT 775 package consist of many things, not really much different from their 700 kit, each kit includes upgraded VTGs, intercoolers, with full exhaust, headers, ect. the 775 kit throws in coil packs, light weight pulley and some more tuning... I guess since I first intended for their intercoolers/tune, I found my self buying VTG turbos from Mike @ awd motor sports whos running a crazy deal on these 65mm STOCK vtg turbos, that I checked up with Taso and he said EVO could still tune it... Along with my new spark plugs, coil packs, and exhaust I guess you could call it the EVT 735 kit .
Partly because I have the fabspeed exhaust which has sport cats, it kind of chokes and more power can come from the car from being cat-less... 600+ WHP is still more then enough for me... EVOMS rocks..

Last edited by salerno713; 11-20-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:36 PM
ohhh man!!! cant wait!!! yup, just looked at the kit on there web site... didnt realize it came with so much stuff...

Old 11-20-2010, 05:43 PM
small world!!! and thanks!!!
Its a 6Speed community! No problem.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:03 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
fwiw, the APR tune has the fastest verified 60-130 time on a car without upgraded turbos. In fact, it's just as fast as cars with upgraded vtgs. Haven't seen any numbers for the 60-130 on the EVOMS cars but just something for you to consider before you go through a wallet lightening. I know your complaint is with "lag" so I think you should try to drive an EVOMS car too so that you can see if there is an improvement with lag.

I just have a Proto tune and AWE exhaust and in sport mode I'd have to say that I don't really notice a lot of lag if I'm in the correct gear for the speed. Feels just like a big block to me most of the time.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:48 PM
darmawaa is infamous around these partsdarmawaa is infamous around these parts
700HP package from any tuner would do just fine.
Contact several tuners, and choose the one that you are most comfortable to deal with.
Power difference between tuner is less than 50HP, not noticeable in driving.
Price all in the 20K ballpark.
I would stick to the VTG, it's already powerful enough in street.
Unless you want to make a "King of drag race"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: thoughts on upgrading turbos....