997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

It's time for a New Clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:59 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
Yes stock clutch holds the 600 HP mark..question is for HOW LONG?
It's not a question of holding power it's the short mileage clutch wear use that's the problem.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Serpentene
Yes stock clutch holds the 600 HP mark..question is for HOW LONG?
It's not a question of holding power it's the short mileage clutch wear use that's the problem.
I forgot exactly when everything was installed...My guess is 6-7k mi. It was a Champ until last year when I was first noticing the symptoms. EVOMs 600 tune has ALOT OF TORQUE!!!!

Old 11-25-2010, 01:12 PM
maverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to all
I have 17K on stock clutch. Had the EVOMSit 580 tune done about 500 miles ago. Just started to notice slippage in 5th & 6th when rolling into the throttle. All other gears don't seem to be affected. Im not an overly 'aggressive' driver i.e. don't pound it off the line. Was told stock disc is ok just need to upgrade to the stage 2 pressure plate. Local shop just did stock replacement on another car $2200 drive out.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:25 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Andrew, i have the Sachs stage 2 clutch as part of my conversion, it's a similar feel to stock. You are welcome to drive it sometime and see how you like it. So how do you like that Evo 580?

Old 11-25-2010, 06:08 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by maverick997
I have 17K on stock clutch. Had the EVOMSit 580 tune done about 500 miles ago. Just started to notice slippage in 5th & 6th when rolling into the throttle. All other gears don't seem to be affected. Im not an overly 'aggressive' driver i.e. don't pound it off the line. Was told stock disc is ok just need to upgrade to the stage 2 pressure plate. Local shop just did stock replacement on another car $2200 drive out.
dont leave the stock disc in there thats just not smart when spending the bill to get to the clutch and get a new pressure plate.

guys remember if the flywheel is scored up real bad or warped at all from excessive heat and slipping. it will need to be replaced as most places dont have the equipment or skills/knowledge on how to turn a DualMass Flywheel so here is the first 1000$ for stock or aftermarket LWF

the next order of business do not get less then a Kevlar, or Fibertuff faced clutch with a sprung hub. if you do your essentially buying an inferior product to current technology on the market.

The sachs 999 pressure plate i believe is the strongest and it can also be modded for more clamp load. pair this with a kevlar or fibertuff disc and you will have a clutch thats gonna hold up to ALOT of abuse into the upper 700whp range where mechanically you need to be diving into twin disc territory unless you can handle the on/off switch type engagement of a Ceramic Disc.

almost forgot none of these upgraded pressure plate will make the clutch harder to move unless you have done the gt2 conversion to a manual slave cylinder. but some of the clutches might have a different engagement point.

Ive used and abused alot of clutches over the years and had some custom designed for cars that were never intended to make power. dont cheap out on the only thing inbetween your motor and the transmission putting the power to the ground that 12-20hrs of book time labor adds up pretty fast when you do it twice

Old 11-26-2010, 10:56 AM
maverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to all
Doug, thanks for the offer sounds like a plan. I'm still a little ways off from doing it(hopefully) As for the EVOMS 580. Being able to watch Todd Z personally do the flash and understand what he was doing and why was great and the result....well its just silly Im still geting used to it and the exponential power from stock without any compromise. It just flat hauls butt

OSI
Naturally i will replace the clutch disk at the same time, my comment was indicating that the Porsche OEM clutch disk was of sufficient quality that an after market disc wasn't necessary for my application.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Called my 3 nearest Local dealers Tuesday and none have returned my call. I guess they are to busy at their shops to fit a car in......