997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Anyway to make our TT steering sharper?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 04:09 AM
alan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of light
Anyway to make our TT steering sharper?

Hey guys, just wanna start a thread to talk about how to improve our tt steering feel. To me, steering feel of any sports cars is always a big factor to judge its performance. So I wanna see if any of our experienced drivers/members can chime in, who have tried to improve our cars steering to feel sharper.

So far, I have done the Bilstein B16 and RSS sway bars including drop links and of course some proper corner balance and alignment in terms of suspension mods. But the steering still feels kinda lazy, i know its the nature of our TTs... however I still wanna try and figure out how to make it better. Like what other mods can we do?

Hopefully some of you can chime in!

Thank you guys in advance!

Best,

Old 11-21-2010, 05:06 AM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by alan6888hk
Hey guys, just wanna start a thread to talk about how to improve our tt steering feel. To me, steering feel of any sports cars is always a big factor to judge its performance. So I wanna see if any of our experienced drivers/members can chime in, who have tried to improve our cars steering to feel sharper.

So far, I have done the Bilstein B16 and RSS sway bars including drop links and of course some proper corner balance and alignment in terms of suspension mods. But the steering still feels kinda lazy, i know its the nature of our TTs... however I still wanna try and figure out how to make it better. Like what other mods can we do?

Best,
you need cup car suspension components.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:07 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !

Best,
You hit the nail on the head: Compared to GT2/GT3 and other sport car like F430 and Lambo, the Turbo has much lazier and softer steering. The steering softness and laziness bother me greatly as (obviously) steering and suspension feel are critical parameters of any sport car. One way to test this is easily done (on empty street): if you move steering wheel back and forth say at 60 mph, response of GT3 is spontaneous, Turbo takes a split 1/100 second before car moves. It is this split second that means everything to me. A test drive of a GT2 removed any doubt: The stock Turbo steering feels like soft noodle! Way too soft, way too vague. I've always felt suspension softness and steering that feels like noodle are the Achilles heel of the Turbo.

Changing to Biltein and sway bar improve it, but not enough. I would still have sold the car but for the one move by my tuner that cures this soft steering: Make the front Bilstein spring even stiffer. I detail this change in the following thread: http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread...ing/page1.html , and you could also click on the Bilstein link in my signature, first page.

A reputable tune on this forum, TPC Racing, does something similar: stiffer front spring. I have not driven that car yet but I imagine the effect will be similar. I would imagine adding stiffer link (front lower control arm that uses metallic joint versus rubber bushing, metallic thrust arm bushing, etc.) and/or changing to Moton would have the same effect.

To be fair, I should add that there is a price to pay for firming up the suspension: The car will be stiffer and less comfortable. For me, the decision was quick and easy: Stiffer is better, any day and all day. My Turbo now has very sharp and firm steering and I love every second taking it through these winding roads!

Last edited by cannga; 11-21-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:34 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
AWD numbs the steering, even a 997 C2S feels sharper. However with the right suspension mods and a good alignment it can be improved.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Subbie is infamous around these parts
When i changed from a 3 piece HRE wheel to an even lighter Champion 1 piece, the steering difference was immediate, no longer mushy. This was before any suspension upgrades. Both sets of wheels were 19".

Old 11-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
you need a GT2RS

Old 11-21-2010, 02:00 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
What are your alignment settings?

Old 11-21-2010, 02:30 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
To really change the feel of the car you will need to replace all the rubber bushings and links with solid parts. Next time you're under the car check out all the play in all of the suspension components, it's a lot. How far do you want to go because it is all a trade off, you could end up with a noisy rough ride that nobody wants to spend time in. The TT will never handle like an RS but you can get it a lot better for sure. Likewise the RS will never, ever put down power like a Turbo. That's why a GT2 makes so much sense.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:42 PM
alan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of light
WELL SAID.

Thank you very very much for chiming in Can. I really appreciate it and you helped me alot. I've been following your post else where. Yes, I have driven F430, LP550-2 balboni, GT3....so on. All those vehicles have MUCH sharper steering compared to our TTs, I know its not easy to make our cars to drive like any of those, but I would at least TRY. I understand you've got a better springs set from Lucent in LA. I just wanna know if you know Lucent will sell any of those springs set alone to us. If so, it would be great (if you don't mind hooking me up, LOL) And I wanna see the cost and think if I should just upgrade to Motons or not....I have read every single word on your rennteam post, your feedback after changing the better springs. It sounds to me that it really changes your car dramatically. You made me wanna get your springs so badly. In terms of trade off between comfort and performance (the feel of steering), I am REALLY willing to sacrifice for it. Btw, would you mind telling me your alignment spec again, Can?

Anyway, thank you again for every words you have given.

Alan

Originally Posted by cannga
You hit the nail on the head: Compared to GT2/GT3 and other sport car like F430 and Lambo, the Turbo has much lazier and softer steering. The steering softness and laziness bother me greatly as (obviously) steering and suspension feel are critical parameters of any sport car. One way to test this is easily done (on empty street): if you move steering wheel back and forth say at 60 mph, response of GT3 is spontaneous, Turbo takes a split 1/100 second before car moves. It is this split second that means everything to me. A test drive of a GT2 removed any doubt: The stock Turbo steering feels like soft noodle! Way too soft, way too vague. I've always felt suspension softness and steering that feels like noodle are the Achilles heel of the Turbo.

Changing to Biltein and sway bar improve it, but not enough. I would still have sold the car but for the one move by my tuner that cures this soft steering: Make the front Bilstein spring even stiffer. I detail this change in the following thread: http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread...ing/page1.html , and you could also click on the Bilstein link in my signature, first page.

A reputable tune on this forum, TPC Racing, does something similar: stiffer front spring. I have not driven that car yet but I imagine the effect will be similar. I would imagine adding stiffer link (front lower control arm that uses metallic joint versus rubber bushing, metallic thrust arm bushing, etc.) and/or changing to Moton would have the same effect.

To be fair, I should add that there is a price to pay for firming up the suspension: The car will be stiffer and less comfortable. For me, the decision was quick and easy: Stiffer is better, any day and all day. My Turbo now has very sharp and firm steering and I love every second taking it through these winding roads!

Old 11-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by gmoney
AWD numbs the steering, even a 997 C2S feels sharper. However with the right suspension mods and a good alignment it can be improved.
Very true. But I don't really wanna go that crazy to convert my TT to RWD by taking off all those components such as the drive shaft, front diff....etc. Cuz I am not sure by doing all those will upset the ECU and throwing all those scary warning lights..

Originally Posted by Subbie
When i changed from a 3 piece HRE wheel to an even lighter Champion 1 piece, the steering difference was immediate, no longer mushy. This was before any suspension upgrades. Both sets of wheels were 19".
Wheels weight are also a big factor too... That'st why I never run 20"...LOL But 20" definitely shows off our TT.

Originally Posted by Ray
you need a GT2RS
I wish Ray. I wish............

Originally Posted by bbywu
What are your alignment settings?
I am running

Front Camber: -1.15 Rear: -1.7
Front Toe in (mm): -2.5 Rear: - 2.25

What do you think?

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
To really change the feel of the car you will need to replace all the rubber bushings and links with solid parts. Next time you're under the car check out all the play in all of the suspension components, it's a lot. How far do you want to go because it is all a trade off, you could end up with a noisy rough ride that nobody wants to spend time in. The TT will never handle like an RS but you can get it a lot better for sure. Likewise the RS will never, ever put down power like a Turbo. That's why a GT2 makes so much sense.
YES! I am digging the RSS TARMIC Lower control arm set. As well as those dog bones. And yes again, GT2 makes perfect sense but my bank acc won't make any if I go for it. LOL

Old 11-24-2010, 02:32 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
WELL SAID.

Thank you very very much for chiming in Can. I really appreciate it and you helped me alot. I've been following your post else where. Yes, I have driven F430, LP550-2 balboni, GT3....so on. All those vehicles have MUCH sharper steering compared to our TTs, I know its not easy to make our cars to drive like any of those, but I would at least TRY. I understand you've got a better springs set from Lucent in LA. I just wanna know if you know Lucent will sell any of those springs set alone to us. If so, it would be great (if you don't mind hooking me up, LOL) And I wanna see the cost and think if I should just upgrade to Motons or not....I have read every single word on your rennteam post, your feedback after changing the better springs. It sounds to me that it really changes your car dramatically. You made me wanna get your springs so badly. In terms of trade off between comfort and performance (the feel of steering), I am REALLY willing to sacrifice for it. Btw, would you mind telling me your alignment spec again, Can?

Anyway, thank you again for every words you have given.

Alan

Hi Alan, thanks and you're welcome. I am glad to share the fun. I know very well what you're talking about regarding GT3 vs. Turbo steering and handling. I spent 3 hours chasing a semi pro driver and switching back and forth between a GT3 and Turbo and that was when I realize the dramatic and significant difference between the 2 cars.
Into a curve, the Turbo has to slow down and take the outside (larger diameter) curve, the GT3 could just "dive-in," any time, all day. :-) My car had on Bilstein Damptronic at the time and even so, afterwards I immediately knew I needed even stiffer springs.

The Lucent stiffer spring conversion is exceedingly simple in concept and execution (as long as it's done by a pro). Tom of Lucent is at 310-231-3328 http://www.yelp.com/biz/lucent-motors-corp-los-angeles. Do tell him I sent you ("Can in the nice red Turbo :-)). This is just my suggestion, please don't tell him I said this on line : It would be a reasonable idea to get the Bilstein springs from him so that if you have any question regarding installation, maybe he could help your installer. If you are in LA, then using Lucent is a NO BRAINER. He's experienced, talented, and listens. He'll talk cars with you all day. Oh and he's also cheap (don't tell him I said this either PLEASE. LOL).

After the spring conversion, your spring rate ratio is now 1:1 front to rear (565 front/565 rear). What you'll have to do then is soften the front otherwise the car will understeer, and I do this by changing 2 other parameters:
1. Soften the front sway bar relative to the rear. My GMG sway bar is therefore full soft front, middle setting rear.
2. Soften the front tire relative to rear. My car with Pirelli Corsa cup tires is set at -3 front, -1 rear.

With this spring conversion my Turbo is probably too stiff for 80% of people out there, but for those who want a GT3 4WD Turbo , it's very very very close. As such my Turbo is the epitome of a daily driver for me -- I LOVE it. Good luck and have fun and PM me if you have any problem reaching Tom.