997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Is a GT2 'built better' than a regular tt?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:10 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Can I race your GTT? I'd like to bring this:

Old 11-23-2010, 09:17 PM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
Originally Posted by bbywu
Can I race your GTT? I'd like to bring this:

Sure...

Old 11-23-2010, 09:19 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Meh...

Old 11-23-2010, 09:22 PM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice

Old 11-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
I'll drag race anyone. I just put some 22's on this badboy.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:44 PM
Only if the 22's are spinners.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:11 PM
96redLT4 is infamous around these parts96redLT4 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TXTurbo
Will this work?

WTF is this. It looks like the *** of one bad *** car! I thought this thread was dead but it turned out pretty good. My point in seeing so many tt available now (both ttS and regular, mostly PDK but a few 6 speed) is I wonder if Porsche puts more time energy and quality into a car that seems like such a special 'flagship' as the GT2 or if as some suggested, it is just another tt model off the same line but specced differently?
Jim

Old 11-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Jonnyenglish is infamous around these parts
^ its a Twin Turbo Lamborghini Gallardo, a Very Very tasty bit of kit...

Old 11-24-2010, 04:29 AM
Originally Posted by 96redLT4
WTF is this. It looks like the *** of one bad *** car! I thought this thread was dead but it turned out pretty good. My point in seeing so many tt available now (both ttS and regular, mostly PDK but a few 6 speed) is I wonder if Porsche puts more time energy and quality into a car that seems like such a special 'flagship' as the GT2 or if as some suggested, it is just another tt model off the same line but specced differently?
Jim
Having just visited the factory I can tell you that every car goes down the same assembly line at the same speed from the Boxter to the body in white cup cars.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:15 PM
HansGT2 is infamous around these parts
All Porsches are manufactured under the same highly rationalized, controlled and efficient manufacturing process. That's a good thing for maintaining a high level of quality across the product line and for helping Porsche make enough money to design good cars.

The difference between the various models is in the design and fine tuning effort that goes into the design and the performance capability (and thus cost) of the parts that are different for the various models. A lot of fine tuning went into the GT2, as well as into the selection of some parts which are at a higher performance level (at higher cost) than corresponding TT parts. I can attest to that based on the wonderfully integrated and balanced performance of my 997 GT2 (after putting nearly 14,000 miles on it). I also read that German tuner Manthey stated that all GT2 engines they've ever dyno tested exceeded the factory spec of 530 DIN hp; they showed at least 540 hp. I've heard rumors over the decades that Porsche selects the highest-performing engines off the production line for its top-of-the-line performance cars, such as turbo Ss in the '90s and GT2s in the noughties. I don't know for a fact if this is true.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:42 PM
96redLT4 is infamous around these parts96redLT4 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by HansGT2
All Porsches are manufactured under the same highly rationalized, controlled and efficient manufacturing process. That's a good thing for maintaining a high level of quality across the product line and for helping Porsche make enough money to design good cars.

The difference between the various models is in the design and fine tuning effort that goes into the design and the performance capability (and thus cost) of the parts that are different for the various models. A lot of fine tuning went into the GT2, as well as into the selection of some parts which are at a higher performance level (at higher cost) than corresponding TT parts. I can attest to that based on the wonderfully integrated and balanced performance of my 997 GT2 (after putting nearly 14,000 miles on it). I also read that German tuner Manthey stated that all GT2 engines they've ever dyno tested exceeded the factory spec of 530 DIN hp; they showed at least 540 hp. I've heard rumors over the decades that Porsche selects the highest-performing engines off the production line for its top-of-the-line performance cars, such as turbo Ss in the '90s and GT2s in the noughties. I don't know for a fact if this is true.
Interesting theory-some cars are 'more equal' than others. I thought I read something about titanium exhaust parts or the like...
Jim

Old 11-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
If you don't need all wheel drive then go with the GT2. It's a very special car whereas Turbos are everywhere.