997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Is a GT2 'built better' than a regular tt?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 04:42 PM
96redLT4 is infamous around these parts96redLT4 is infamous around these parts
Is a GT2 'built better' than a regular tt?

Hi all. I am still wavering back and forth between these two great cars-ie new 2011 tt or what would be a used 2008 low mileage GT2. The latter certainly seems more exclusive-one of our local LA dealers now list 17 new tt in stock! I know the clutch and suspension setups are stiffer. I wonder though if the transmission/block (is it a Mezger?) are built better in the limited production GT2. Obviously I would be buying a used car for near new car cost. Is it worth it?
Jim

Old 11-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
'08 GT2 Hands Down.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:12 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Only time will tell regarding the DFI 3.8 engine. But the Metzger block is race proven and by many accounts, "bulletproof", if there's such a thing. So many cars I would choose over the 7.2 TT. GT2 is definitely one of them.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
gt2 will definately be harder to live with.. stiffer clutch.. no psm and rear wheel drive

but! a gt2 is a unique car and will hold its value better as there built in limited numbers

if i were to choose between the two i would try to decide what the intent of the car is.. weekend toy with track miles intended.. or a nice sportscar that can handle any situation.

bottom line is find the cleanest car you can for your budget.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:01 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
for 95% of us the 997.2 TT w/ PDK is going to be the better choice. 4% of that remaining 5% would not ask the question, they already know they want a GT2. 1% is flipping coins essentially, luckily for you neither is a bad choice so long as you have the ball$ to not decide to hit the brakes mid turn in the GT2 once you believe your entry speed is too high

I had a chance to buy a 996 GT2 pretty cheap but opted to order and wait a year for my 997TT and my 'first new Porsche'. Glad I did. However the 997 GT2 is freaking bad and in hindsight I wish I waited for it.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by porka
gt2 will definately be harder to live with.. stiffer clutch.. no psm and rear wheel drive

but! a gt2 is a unique car and will hold its value better as there built in limited numbers

if i were to choose between the two i would try to decide what the intent of the car is.. weekend toy with track miles intended.. or a nice sportscar that can handle any situation.

bottom line is find the cleanest car you can for your budget.
I never knew the GT2 has NO PSM? Is it a option?

Very rarely are you going to reach a GT2's LIMIT, if you do, that wall is gunna be coming pretty quick toward you!

Old 11-21-2010, 08:38 PM
HansGT2 is infamous around these parts
The 997 GT2 has stability control and traction control. They can be switched off, but every time the engine is started they are both automatically activated and have to be switched off again if the driver wants to drive without them. They also cut in at higher drift angles and more rear wheel slippage than in the TT.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:44 PM
racin is infamous around these parts
according to porsche the GT2 is built to a higher quality standard. the 997 gt2 is much more user friendly than the 996 GT2 was. I would have no problem driving it everyday if i had to. there is alot under the skin of the GT2 that most dont know about. lots of lighter parts, no sound deadening, a real race ready car that can be driven on the street, thats why im in love with them

Old 11-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Porsche997TT
I never knew the GT2 has NO PSM? Is it a option?

Very rarely are you going to reach a GT2's LIMIT, if you do, that wall is gunna be coming pretty quick toward you!
The 996 GT2 does not have PSM. The 997 GT2, however (including the RS), does.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:55 PM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
Originally Posted by racin
according to porsche the GT2 is built to a higher quality standard.
How so?

The car is built on the exact same line with most of the same general parts by the same people.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Banned
gt2urbo is infamous around these partsgt2urbo is infamous around these parts
i drive my 997 gt2 every day. i have solid bushing and a few racre upgrades. i was gonna trade for a 458 a few weeks ago but once i drove it . i decided the gt2 was for me ... its not that bad as a daily sand i live in LA. i heard the lsd is different on gt2 as well as a few other internals .

Last edited by gt2urbo; 11-23-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:04 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by racin
according to porsche the GT2 is built to a higher quality standard. the 997 gt2 is much more user friendly than the 996 GT2 was. I would have no problem driving it everyday if i had to. there is alot under the skin of the GT2 that most dont know about. lots of lighter parts, no sound deadening, a real race ready car that can be driven on the street, thats why im in love with them
Who "according to Porsche"?

Old 11-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Lee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the rough
You get what you pay for. If the GT2 costs so much more it is "built to a higher quality standard" by that much -- that is how any manufacturer measures it.

The GT2 is the better car if you value to extreme performance advantages it provides and are willing to live with the sacrifices it makes. I respect it but would not want to drive one daily.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:20 PM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
Originally Posted by Lee Willis
You get what you pay for. If the GT2 costs so much more it is "built to a higher quality standard" by that much -- that is how any manufacturer measures it.

The GT2 is the better car if you value to extreme performance advantages it provides and are willing to live with the sacrifices it makes. I respect it but would not want to drive one daily.
Manufactures don't measure a car's quality by the sticker price.

Also it only provides certain advantages and gives up others to a Turbo PDK. In a drag race it will get smoked.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:27 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TXTurbo
Manufactures don't measure a car's quality by the sticker price.

Also it only provides certain advantages and gives up others to a Turbo PDK. In a drag race it will get smoked.
If the drag race is > quarter mile, I beg to differ.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is a GT2 'built better' than a regular tt?