997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

CPO: Does it really matter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Car-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond repute
Message Removed

Message Removed

Last edited by Car-Narcissist; 07-04-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Abby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura about
I would go for one with certified Pre-owned warranty If available. It's a good thing to have just for the peace of mind and It's just as good as new car warranty. Keep in mind repairs are very expensive once it comes to porsches; my local dealership charges 145 per hours on labor.. I think if you are buying the car from a Porsche dealer, CPO warranty costs an extra 2k. They will give you a report for the inspection when they put CPO on the car.

Last edited by Abby997TT; 11-22-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:55 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
CPO or not get a PPI too.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:17 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
In my opinion…
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
1. Extended warranties are typically much less when the vehicle is still under warranty. The idea being the car has been maintained and if something needs/needed to be repaired the owner would do so while still under factory warranty…less risk for the company. In my case I purchased an extended warranty 30 days before the factory warranty ran out in June. The car had to be inspected first to even qualify for the warranty I purchased. All of this was done at the dealer. You can send me PM and I’ll tell you what I paid for a 4yr/75k mile warranty. My vehicle has 14k miles on it.
<o></o>
2. Just because a car is sold as CPO doesn’t by default make it more reliable than one that is not. The cost of the CPO is built into the sale. Your paying for the inspection, items needed to bring it to CPO standard, and extended coverage beyond the factory warranty. In theory, same car/miles should be less from a private owner or non CPO. Finding a vehicle still under factory warranty gives you more options.
<o></o>
3. Yes… you will read how reliable these cars are and this is absolutely true. These cars are not perfect and it’s not uncommon for little things to come up. I use little very loosely because little with this vehicles still means big $$$. When I look at what the extended warranty cost compared to the value of the vehicle I didn’t even hesitate. I built it into the cost of ownership when I purchased the vehicle.
<o></o>
4. A full blown inspection should be done on any vehicle you’re considering to purchase. The investment is minimal when compared to the cost of the car.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:34 AM
gradyex is infamous around these partsgradyex is infamous around these parts
I have an 07 TT with 27k miles now on it. I did a lot of research and bought a 3 year 36k miles warranty BEFORE I reached 25K miles. I started shopping around about 6 months before my factory warranty expired. After 25K miles the price for the same warranty was quoted to be about $1500 more. The age of the car is only 1 factor. The other huge factor is how many miles you currently have when purchasing the warranty and how long your factory warranty remains until it expires. If you don't put on a lot of miles on your car then you can wait until right before your factory warranty expires. If your approaching the 25k mile mark after the 3rd year of ownership consider shopping around ahead of time.

Last edited by gradyex; 11-23-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:15 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
i would say go CPO for the peace of mind, that's what i did and figured that a CPO car shouldnt have any stories and can be taken care of at the dealership w/ no deductible

Old 11-23-2010, 11:35 AM
jasont is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PSTT03
In my opinion…
fficeffice" /><o>></o>>
1. Extended warranties are typically much less when the vehicle is still under warranty. The idea being the car has been maintained and if something needs/needed to be repaired the owner would do so while still under factory warranty…less risk for the company. In my case I purchased an extended warranty 30 days before the factory warranty ran out in June. The car had to be inspected first to even qualify for the warranty I purchased. All of this was done at the dealer. You can send me PM and I’ll tell you what I paid for a 4yr/75k mile warranty. My vehicle has 14k miles on it.
<o>></o>>
2. Just because a car is sold as CPO doesn’t by default make it more reliable than one that is not. The cost of the CPO is built into the sale. Your paying for the inspection, items needed to bring it to CPO standard, and extended coverage beyond the factory warranty. In theory, same car/miles should be less from a private owner or non CPO. Finding a vehicle still under factory warranty gives you more options.
<o>></o>>
3. Yes… you will read how reliable these cars are and this is absolutely true. These cars are not perfect and it’s not uncommon for little things to come up. I use little very loosely because little with this vehicles still means big $$$. When I look at what the extended warranty cost compared to the value of the vehicle I didn’t even hesitate. I built it into the cost of ownership when I purchased the vehicle.
<o>></o>>
4. A full blown inspection should be done on any vehicle you’re considering to purchase. The investment is minimal when compared to the cost of the car.

Would love to know the details of your extended warranty, but do not have enough posts to PM yet. At least this one counts as another!

Old 11-23-2010, 12:08 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
I don't think you can get the CPO unless you go through a sale at the dealer. If you already own the car, you have to sell the car to the dealer and buy the car back to get CPO. So, it's best to buy CPO if that's what you want. You do pay a premium when buying from a dealer so why not have the peace of mind.

CPO that are offered in last year or so has full coverage, same as the original warranty from factory. It wasn't always this way before on earlier Porsche CPO. This makes CPO more attractive.

If you do buy without CPO, I'd make sure there is at least a year of factory warranty left. Otherwise, you could be out of pocket. The risk isn't great since 997 is fairly reliable but I'd take that risk only if the car is a steal.

Either way, have the car inspected and go through the service / warranty / carfax records fully before you buy.