997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Guess what I found on the floor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 03:04 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Guess what I found on the floor?

My clutch pedal, again....usual scenario with zero Pentosin in the reservoir.

Topped it up and would not budge, manually pulled it up and pumped 12 or so times and it started to work but feels terrible, very on or off like.

So this will be the 3rd time, a charm I hope. Cant recall if they replaced the accumulator or slave last time but its starting to wear on me. She's being towed to the dealer as we speak.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Is P covering it under warranty or does the stage 2 clutch cancel that out?

Old 11-23-2010, 04:01 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Im sure it will be covered, such a common problem and it was in there prior to the clutching going in for the first repair attempt.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
same thing happened to me last year. Where does all that oil go? Not on the garage floor

Old 11-23-2010, 08:57 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
GT2 slave time!

Old 11-23-2010, 09:48 PM
I actually found fluid on the floor, directly under the engine. However previous times i did not, total mystery where it goes, I asked the dealer to no avail. It's almost comical then you realize your 140k car has a repetitive $250 crappy failing part problem and then it's not so funny. Highly disappointing, the turbo clutch feels like crap on a good day and should be similar to the gt2 setup to begin with.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:57 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I believe it shares a reservoir with the pwr steering, which probably has the capacity to take on a lot of extra volume. Mine was replaced under 'warranty', even though I was way out.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
I guess this time its all run out the slave then....popped the seals or something. Like TT says the power steering reservoir soaked it up last time as it has the capacity. Mine went at 4,000kms and they did the slave first and it still overflowed the clutch master reservoir so then they did the accumulator and the slave together, making sure that the manufacture date of the parts was 2009 vintage. Apparently the earlier manufactured slaves had a problem somewhere. Just insist on seeing the boxes this time and make sure they use the late model parts....not earlier than 09. Hopefully that will do the trick ...well thats what im hoping anyway. its a PITA when something like this happens once least of all twice and then leave you stranded. i still think the gt2 set up is a bit too stiff for a dd....maybe if the pedal was like a C2S that'd be fine. Each to his own though

Old 11-24-2010, 03:19 PM
funny you say that, I did notice a louder than normal 'noise' when I turned the wheel at a standstill loading it on to the flatbed. Sounded like a slightly higher pitched hydraulic noise, tough to explain.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:49 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
When the accumulator fails, about a half quart of fluid can enter the unit, so that is why you don't see the loss of fluid.

Normally the diaphragm is like this: From what I can tell when you push the clutch pedal in, fluid pushes the diaphragm in on itself, and when you let of the clutch pedal, it springs back, pushing fluid back into the system.

When it fails due to a tear in the diaphragm, it collapses upon itself. If you look at a new one and put a nail or something like that in the hole in the top, the nail hits the top of the ball. If you put the nail in a bad unit, it falls into the unit to the bottom

Last edited by IAPorscheDoc; 11-24-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:55 AM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by IAPorscheDoc
When the accumulator fails, about a half quart of fluid can enter the unit, so that is why you don't see the loss of fluid.

Normally the diaphragm is like this: From what I can tell when you push the clutch pedal in, fluid pushes the diaphragm in on itself, and when you let of the clutch pedal, it springs back, pushing fluid back into the system.

When it fails due to a tear in the diaphragm, it collapses upon itself. If you look at a new one and put a nail or something like that in the hole in the top, the nail hits the top of the ball. If you put the nail in a bad unit, it falls into the unit to the bottom

where is this diaphragm located , is there any way to check this

Old 11-26-2010, 11:14 AM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by speed21
I guess this time its all run out the slave then....popped the seals or something. Like TT says the power steering reservoir soaked it up last time as it has the capacity. Mine went at 4,000kms and they did the slave first and it still overflowed the clutch master reservoir so then they did the accumulator and the slave together, making sure that the manufacture date of the parts was 2009 vintage. Apparently the earlier manufactured slaves had a problem somewhere. Just insist on seeing the boxes this time and make sure they use the late model parts....not earlier than 09. Hopefully that will do the trick ...well thats what im hoping anyway. its a PITA when something like this happens once least of all twice and then leave you stranded. i still think the gt2 set up is a bit too stiff for a dd....maybe if the pedal was like a C2S that'd be fine. Each to his own though
mine is a 2007 with 10k miles, should i be concerned, or watch for anything .my luck this will happen after the warranty will be up

Old 11-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by cgng30
mine is a 2007 with 10k miles, should i be concerned, or watch for anything .my luck this will happen after the warranty will be up
so i went and checked my power steering reservoir and its kind of ver low, only the tip of the dipstick has oil, i have never seen any leak so is this going to happen to me soon, did any of you guys had to top of the power steering fluid ever, without the clutch problem?

Old 11-26-2010, 02:26 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cgng30
where is this diaphragm located , is there any way to check this
Um, it is in the accumulator as the pictures show. I cut one open with a cutoff wheel to show the internals. There is no way to check it without removing the accumulator from the slave cylinder....just wait for the stiff pedal when you first start the car and you will know it is bad, lol. It takes a couple of specially bent and modified wrenches to get the accumulator out easily. If the accumulator goes, you can still drive the car just fine, it will have a stiff pedal when you first start the car, and after that it can feel slightly "notchy" but otherwise will function just fine.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by IAPorscheDoc
Um, it is in the accumulator as the pictures show. I cut one open with a cutoff wheel to show the internals. There is no way to check it without removing the accumulator from the slave cylinder....just wait for the stiff pedal when you first start the car and you will know it is bad, lol. It takes a couple of specially bent and modified wrenches to get the accumulator out easily. If the accumulator goes, you can still drive the car just fine, it will have a stiff pedal when you first start the car, and after that it can feel slightly "notchy" but otherwise will function just fine.
Ok I see. I checked my slave cylinder reservoir and its full and dry, but my power steering reservoir is almost dry, when the car is warm, the dip stick has a touch of oil on the tip, no leaks, pedal feels normal, but why is ps reservoir super low, do I have a problem and don't know it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Guess what I found on the floor?