997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.2 TT Suspension Tighter Than 997.1 TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 07:17 AM
Car-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond repute
Message Removed

Message Removed

Last edited by Car-Narcissist; 07-04-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:37 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
The new cars are supposed to have a slightly different spring package, and possibly ARB, making them more firm. I'm sure someone will post the specifics, but the suspensions are still very similar. I wouldn't let this be a deciding factor, as it's a quick remedy if you think you need to firm up the dry sump car.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:03 PM
CaptnCrash is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Car-Narcissist
Actually, I'm trying to avoid too much firmness.

2011 911TT ... Suspension in normal mode ride is actually not bad. Road noise is typical bad, but that's all tires and can be remedied with the next set. In sport mode it firms up quite a bit and could be uncomfortable on a bumpy / rough road. 6 speed non-S car.

--CC

Old 12-12-2010, 11:57 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Get the '07/'08 and don't look back. Based on some of the posts here you would think the Turbo handles like a Buick, this couldn't be further from the truth. Does it handle as sharp as a GT3? Of course not, but the Turbo is still an excellent handling car on the track. A totally stock 997 Turbo with N-spec MPSC ( a ROW option) has an extremely high performance envelope. Don't believe me, go to the PSDS and see what the factory drivers can do in a Turbo tip, it will blow your mind.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:31 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Bump.
Still looking for some opinions on this.
Hi, I described the changes from 997.1 to 997.2 in the Bilstein thread in my signature - quoted below. For reference, I owned 997.1C2 and Turbo and have driven 997.2 Turbo , GT3 and GT2, all at reasonable speed .

I do not know exactly what you're planning or looking for in your question, but IMHO:
If you worry about about whether the 997.2 Turbo is too stiff: NOT to worry. It is still very much a grand touring car. In overall stiffness, I would rate it right in between 997.1 Turbo and Bilstein Turbo. To me it is still very soft, but that's just my personal preference and perhaps it is partly because I live and entertain myself in hilly areas of Los Angeles.
If you (the general "you") hope that 997.2 Turbo approaches GT3's incredible sharpness and reflex: Forget about it. It never will be because it is designed to be a daily driver; where it is best in the world.
If you want Turbo power and best handling in the world, but not a daily driver, get used 997 GT2. The best and destined to be a classic.

FWIW, and this is just my opinion: If you have the money AND if you don't plan to mod the car's ECU/engine significantly, I would go for 997.2. The change in suspension is too significant from 997.1 to 997.2 to be ignored. The 997.1 Turbo is the most ponderous car in the 997 lineup because of its weight and soft springs; it made up for speed only by sheer power in straight line, exciting yet somehow boring and not very "elegant" LOL. The first time I drove a GT2, my heart was broken; but that's just me and more importantly now I am happy and whole again after my Bilstein suspension installation.
If you don't have the money, and/or plan to mod the ECU/engine significantly, then 997.1 Turbo is the choice. No doubt a tremendous bargain and the best used car purchase at this time IMO.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-turbo-12.html

In summary, the changes are as followed:
  1. Stiffer rear spring
  2. Stiffer anti sway bar: Front bar only for cars without PTV, front AND rear for cars with PTV. (I think I have an explanation for this. Ask if you want to know.)
  3. Stiffer rear bushing to "control lateral movement." Although I don't know which bushing they are talking about here. Reading this one almost brings tears to my eyes. I mean, this is deep into after-market US-style modding! This has got to involve the rear toe control arm here, I think.
  4. PTV. Reduces understeer. I assume improve the rear end "rotation" into corners.
  5. PTM: More gradual change and more rear bias; in essence the car behaves more like a RWD cars in corners. Yes the word “drift” was mentioned! ...edited

Stock 997.1 Turbo:
Front: 206
Rear: 457 Linear

Stock 997.2 Turbo
Front: 206
Rear: 514 Progressive (342 initial, 514 final)

Bilstein Damptronic for 997 Turbo
Front: 340 Linear
Rear: 565 Linear
Helper springs 115 front, 145 rear (don't count towards rate).

Last edited by cannga; 12-13-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:36 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Can,

Thanks for the great reply. I appreciate it. I know this wont read well but I'd prefer a softer suspension. I dont plan to track the car and the local LEO's are pretty swift. It will just be a DD for me anyhow and my commute is short. The 997.2 are just a bit out of my price range. So the 997.1 TT looks like a great way to go all around.
Thanks again for the informative post.
Are you kidding me? The 997.1 is NOT a great way to go around, it's the *only* way to go around!
A used 997.1 Turbo is a tremendous bargain -- beautiful, supercar performance, race heritage engine, for practically nothing. I think used 997.1 Turbo buyers are all very smart. That is, at this point in time, 997.2 buyers are rich and smart, whereas 997.1 buyers are not as rich, but smarter. Just kidding guys, hold the missiles.

Regarding suspension, I don't mean to be critical at all of anyone who likes a softer suspension feel. It's all personal preference and many 997.1 Turbo owners like the car as is. If you like a softer sprung car, the 997.1 Turbo is the perfect car for you.
Even if you don't change the 997.1 Turbo suspension hardware, make sure that you increase front negative camber. This is a universal recommendation (for better turn-in, more cornering force in front, less understeer which the 4wd turbo is prone to do). Buy the car, drive for a few months, then make the change. This critical change will be an eye opening experience for you. The setting is on the first page of the Bilstein thread in my signature.

One more thing, if you do not track, look for a car with PCCB. An absolute bargain in a used car and the initial bite and lower unsprung weights are significant advantage. I have driven plenty of 997's with either brake and IMO you have not lived until you feel the initial pull and precision feel of PCCB. Also remember among 997.1 Turbo, the 2009 gen. has the best electronics interface: GPS, blue tooth, ipod and so forth, so it is obviously the "best" 997.1 Turbo. Good luck and have fun. Hope this helps.

Last edited by cannga; 12-14-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:46 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
^ One of the few imes I agree with can, always try to get the latest model you can afford with a dry sump. You can dial in -1degree camber up front in the stock configuration.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:10 AM
997.1 (2007-09) is a true dry sump. The 997.2 (2010-on) is an integrated dry sump aka wet sump. The replacement cost on a GT1 based true dry sump is about twice as much if that tells you anything.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Also if you just want more negative camber replace the lower control arms with adjustable GT3 control arms. You can easily get -2 or more camber.