997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Miles on the odo. How many is too many?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Car-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond repute
Message Removed

Message Removed

Last edited by Car-Narcissist; 07-04-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:19 PM
PyroKerry has a spectacular aura aboutPyroKerry has a spectacular aura about
I can't think of any practical reason why. Maintenance costs are not high and you are no more likely to have a failure at 20K than at 1K miles.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:20 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
At least you are not rushing into it…it’s a lot of cash and better to ask questions first before regretting later. Lower mileage vehicles, especially in the higher-end category, typically sell for more. It’s not unique to Porsche… doesn’t mean the vehicle with higher mileage is not a good/great car it’s simply how it works. In your research you likely know the high and low price ranges and where the average mileage falls when looking at each. Calculate the average mileage and price for the 125 07’s listed on AutoTrader. Then look at those that are above and below the averages. You’ll probably see the vehicles priced outside the average is because mileage, condition and some options. With used cars (IMO) it’s more mileage/condition than the latter though. There is one there with 59k miles listed at $67.7.You wouldn’t expect the guy with only 2,400 miles to offer his/her vehicle for the same price. You’ve got your budget…work within your boundaries and find the one the meets your needs/expectations. Maintenance costs will vary based on mileage and other factors. For example, a set of tires (PS2’s) can set you back almost $2k. Go ahead and calculate how many sets that is with 59k miles versus 15k. Porsche has scheduled maintenance. You can download the manual and figure out how that works on your own. You looking for a warranty or budgeting to cover expenses that come up? Often these are second and third cars for people and they aren’t driven as much. Then you pool in the lower mileage leases and those who like to trade up every few years. Keep plugging away and you’ll find the one for you. Hard to find a better all around sports car for this kind of cash….

Old 12-15-2010, 07:12 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Depends on the overall condition/svc history of the car, a well taken care of car would not spook me, even with high miles. Mine is at 60k now, runs like new. These 997.1 cars are indestructable.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:08 AM
jasont is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Depends on the overall condition/svc history of the car, a well taken care of car would not spook me, even with high miles. Mine is at 60k now, runs like new. These 997.1 cars are indestructable.

I agree, there were a number of cars available with very low mileage when I was looking and yet I ended up buying one with 34k miles. Why? Well, it had literally every single option I wanted and it fit my price point, period. I could spend another 6 months looking and try to find the exact same car with less miles and the same price...and very possibly never succeed. I would much rather climb in my 997tt every day and drive in the meantime...

Old 12-15-2010, 07:33 PM
ZedOddSix is infamous around these parts
My only criteria was, color combo, condition, sports chrono, warranty, options. Not necessarily in that order.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:42 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
The more these cars are driven, the more reliable they are. I wouldn't be worried about mileage.

Most cars have low mileage when sold because they don't get driven a lot. Impulse purchases and/or weekend drivers.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:08 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I am one of those guys who likes low miles . I have learned a lot over the years when I went to trade in or sell my Porsches as to the value of the car with miles . Of course the best case scenario is the have a reliable car at a fair price and there's no guarantee that a low mile car is problem free or visa versa . However .. if you dig your hand in the pocket to buy a car --especially a Turbo -- the more miles the less you pay to buy it.

Once the car crosses 10K miles it takes its first big depreciation hit (even if the car 6 months old). The biggest hit is when it crosses 50K . In fact the 50K mark applies to all cars. So .. if you buy a car with 30+K miles you must make sure it runs well because if you hold it until after 50K ..you lost everything you saved to buy it (over a low mile car) and you are stuck with it.

I realize that some guys have high mileage cars that they pampered from day one . But that's why they still have them .