997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997TT - Practical In The Snow?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 08:51 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NYNick
Does anybody else find it humorous to use the word 'practical' and 911TT in the same sentence?

Anyway, hardtop, snowtires... ready to go here in NY!
Nope, because the 997TT can be practical too.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:02 AM
ZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of light
I use my 996 turbo cab with snow tires as my winter vehicle, works unbelievable as long as the snow isn't too deep which is never a problem cause they plow it by that time anyways. We also throw on some perrelli sottozero tires on our C63, not as good as the turbo but it does the job. Its all about the TIRES.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:24 AM
xsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud of
Do you guys worry about the salt in the winters getting into everything, or do they not salt the roads heavily where you are at?

Old 12-16-2010, 09:34 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Webtool1
I drove a 996C2 with snow tires on 17" wheels through 3 winters.
My main comment is with winter shoes, jacket and gloves on the fun factor becomes low, so whats the point?
The other issue is the car is low and an SUV with iced up windows is not likely to notice you're already in the lane that they're headed for.
If you ever get on truly glare ice, the rear engine becomes that pendulum which you don't notice when there is even the smallest traction available.
Let me tell you THAT is an experience you don't want.
Sorry, but I really disagree. There's only snow on the road occasionally, so you're driving on nice dry roads most of the time. The fun factor in the snow is awesome too. Did you have PSM on your C2? That can be a big help in the winter if you're not a great snow driver.

I'm assuming you don't drive you Turbo in the snow even with AWD...

Old 12-16-2010, 09:39 AM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by xsbc63x
Do you guys worry about the salt in the winters getting into everything, or do they not salt the roads heavily where you are at?
In general if cars get rinsed off from the salty soaked snow it's fine. Unless it's American cars. in Canada after a couple of winters with an American car you see rust form on parts that aren't even suppose to be able to physically rust.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:23 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
I love how "practically" they made the windows automatically go down to get the doors open. This is all nice until your battery is dead in -30c or your windows are frozen.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:11 PM
xsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tphss
In general if cars get rinsed off from the salty soaked snow it's fine. Unless it's American cars. in Canada after a couple of winters with an American car you see rust form on parts that aren't even suppose to be able to physically rust.
yea I noticed salt was much more a factor on older vehicles, however i do occasionally see newer vehicles(imports and domestics) rusting quickly, and is most likely salt related.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Webtool1 is infamous around these partsWebtool1 is infamous around these parts
Teflon_Jones
Here's practical for ya; I bought a 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 as a winter beater.
The theory here is its a 35K car with some fun available, has lots of torque and an automatic for easy driving winter with boots, hats, coats and all. I'd rather put winter miles on a cheap car like this than bring snow to the turbo. If it gets hit, no big deal, its a Mustang. With snow tires and posi-traction it'll be ok for most days. I have a Lexus RX350 and a V8 4Runner for heavy snow days.
The 996C2 had PSM but like I said on truly slick ice it can't defy physics. I've driven snow for nearly 45 years but I have to say on glare ice when that *** end swings around I wondered what the heck I was doing.
The turbo is put way for the winter, it's lowered, our roads buckle and heave in the cold so the ride gets pretty flinty.
If you have bare roads and are up in the mountains I can see where there is still lots of fun available, you're lucky. Here in the big city its just slush, muck, salt with brain-dead drivers everywhere.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:24 PM
tnoice is infamous around these parts
Go for it. I drove one in the snow and it was a blast. It was much better than my Boxster S in the snow. Yes, depth of snow will be your greatest limitation.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:19 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
The AWD and motor would work well...the ground clearance would not.
And it would be most hazardous on the beauty aesthetics...

Old 12-17-2010, 07:06 AM
Truckee Turbo is infamous around these parts
I live in an area that gets over 300 inches of snow per year. As a result everyone drives SUVs or pickup trucks. Form follows function.

The concept of driving a $100,000, 500hp car with very little ground clearance in the snow is just plain wrong. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Winter driving will trash a Turbo.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:47 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Old 12-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Truckee Turbo is infamous around these parts
Not Reno. It's the Lake Tahoe area that gets all the snow.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:50 AM
jpw2b is infamous around these parts
I live in full on ski country - Salt Lake City - and am driving daily. Did with my C4S before and my Audi RS6 before that. Old Expedition for deep days. As said by many, tires are the key!!! These cars are made to be driven - I think in Europe folks would laugh at this thread as it is just expected to drive these great cars year round!

Old 12-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Mini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to all
I would only worry about the other drivers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997TT - Practical In The Snow?