997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

My 997tt Sachs clutch review.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:13 PM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
Can

Bought the whole kit from Todd.K and had the dealer do the install.

Good read on why a sprung disk needs to be used if using LWFW.

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/gear_rattle.htm

Last edited by venkatreddytx; 12-22-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:20 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
guys i'm really trying to rationalize the LWFW debate. I know its purpose is a freer revving engine but because the turbo has such short gear ratios and revs so damn quickly (too quickly.. especially noticeable with sport chrono) in stock form with the dual mass...I can't imagine why one would insist on a LWFW application for this particular car??? Do you just engage 4th 5th and 6th afterward? LMAO...

Old 12-23-2010, 04:31 AM
SpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond repute
Great review +1!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:08 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Serpentene
guys i'm really trying to rationalize the LWFW debate. I know its purpose is a freer revving engine but because the turbo has such short gear ratios and revs so damn quickly (too quickly.. especially noticeable with sport chrono) in stock form with the dual mass...I can't imagine why one would insist on a LWFW application for this particular car??? Do you just engage 4th 5th and 6th afterward? LMAO...
I thought the same thing. It's already hard enough to avoid hitting the rev limiter in the first couple of gears.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:12 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
^^this. Dual mass is plenty responsive enough for me. I'm used to having to blip the throttle on downshifts a lot harder on my daily driver. When I get in the TT, I forget how 'touchy' it is and the tach leaps to 6-7K rpms

Old 12-23-2010, 08:27 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Charles, I understand and actually have the same question. I believe this is one of those things that until you try, you won't know. Like all those things that I used to be so skeptical about and now have on my car : after-market exhaust, dual round exhaust tip, lowering the car, etc. LOL.
From what I could gather from these forums, those guys who have tried LWFW swear by it. So there must be something -- the light feel, the speed of spooling, whatever, that makes the mod addictive.

I used to be 50/50 on this issue; didn't even consider LWFW because of possible problems, but Vent's report, using Todd/Protomotive kit, indicates a very stock like LWFW setup. My question now is, why not? Possible benefits, no harm, seems like it would be worth a try?
I am very curious; it's one of those things that I feel I must try once just to see. At worst, it would cost some $ but I would have it removed.

Last edited by cannga; 12-23-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:46 AM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Once you get try the LWFW, you just might enjoy what it can give you. I really enjoy how much quicker the engine revs. Heal and Toe downshifts are much more effortless. It's kinda addicting. Personally, I would never go back to a dual mass. Even the flywheel chatter doesn't bother me anymore. The benefits far outweigh it in my mind. Everyone has their preferences and I realize the tolerance levels for noise and sensitivity will vary for each person. If you can get a test drive in a car with it, you should at least see for yourself what it feels and sounds like before making a decision.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:47 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
Once you get try the LWFW, you just might enjoy what it can give you. I really enjoy how much quicker the engine revs. Heal and Toe downshifts are much more effortless. It's kinda addicting. Personally, I would never go back to a dual mass. Even the flywheel chatter doesn't bother me anymore. The benefits far outweigh it in my mind. Everyone has their preferences and I realize the tolerance levels for noise and sensitivity will vary for each person. If you can get a test drive in a car with it, you should at least see for yourself what it feels and sounds like before making a decision.
Can you be more specific about the "chatter"? How loud, is it all the time, etc.? thanks.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:07 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by E55AMG
Can you be more specific about the "chatter"? How loud, is it all the time, etc.? thanks.
It chatters most of the time. You can hear it from the inside, but surprising not that loud from the outside due to the engine and exhaust noise. It usually gets loud with the AC on. Also, the noise goes away obviously when you have the clutch depressed. It's really not bad at all.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:15 PM
CaptnCrash is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by E55AMG
The noise sounds like someone dropped a box of rocks in the transmission and they're being ground up.

How loud ? Depends on your hearing. To me it's an order of magnitude beyond obnoxious, and at the gas station sounds like the car is broken. Plenty loud inside as well to my hearing.

How often ? Generally at lower RPM's and especially idling in neutral. Putting foot on clutch makes it go away because it stops the trans from turning.

Would I ever do that again ? Hell no, not in a street car. In a race only car, no problem.

FWIW
--CC