997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tires!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 06:36 PM
MK-ALSABAH is a name known to allMK-ALSABAH is a name known to allMK-ALSABAH is a name known to allMK-ALSABAH is a name known to allMK-ALSABAH is a name known to allMK-ALSABAH is a name known to all
thanks guys for the great advice! i might go with the Michelin cup or nitto invos.

thanks alot cannga for the info about how much different tires weight!

Old 12-19-2010, 07:07 PM
vpmick is infamous around these partsvpmick is infamous around these parts
Does any one have the weight of the Hoosier R6's ( 19" )?

Old 12-19-2010, 08:18 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vpmick
Does any one have the weight of the Hoosier R6's ( 19" )?
Here you go.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 12-20-2010, 08:48 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
I couldn't find the exact same size, but it appears Hoosier in something similar to Turbo size would be around 48 lbs (one front plus one rear), putting it about same as Pirelli Corsa and Michelin cup.

BTW, thanks for the info on your web site. My table would not have been possible without Tire Rack's info.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:55 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Glad my tire weight ranking table is helpful. It was a slow day at work -- . Anyway thanks guys for the positive rep remarks. I too am surprised that tire weight does not come up in every tire review or discussion. Almost never discussed as a matter of fact.

Abdullah (cayenne_USA) is of course absolutely right. The tire adds weight where it hurts the most - the outer part of a wheel. Further distance from hub means higher angular momentum, and large angular momentum affects steering, acceleration, and braking.

If the rudimentary physics I took at Berkeley has taught me correctly, the higher mass itself increases (linear) momentum, the up and down motion of a wheel on the road (as oppposed to the rotation of the wheel), and this affects ride and handling as well.
Essentially every critical parameter of a good sports car is adversely affected by mass at the rim, tire, and brake, aka unsprung mass.

Last edited by cannga; 12-20-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:21 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I found the RE11 adequate on the street but terrible on the track.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:37 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MK-ALSABAH
thanks guys for the great advice! i might go with the Michelin cup or nitto invos.

thanks alot cannga for the info about how much different tires weight!

if you can get a set of MPSC for $1000 like you told me don't miss this deal.