997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tires!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 05:45 AM
MK-ALSABAH is a name known to allMK-ALSABAH is a name known to allMK-ALSABAH is a name known to allMK-ALSABAH is a name known to allMK-ALSABAH is a name known to allMK-ALSABAH is a name known to all
Tires!!

Hey guys!
i am looking for tires for my 997 turbo. i have bridgestone tires installed. but the problem is that they are very heavy. 11KG heavier than the Michelin cup tires.
In kuwait Michelin cup tires are out of stock. I would really want to know the pricing of michelin tires and were i can get them.

please give me other brands as a suggestion. if their lighter or have better traction with pricing please.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:47 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Tirerack.com

Old 12-17-2010, 12:54 PM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
the cup tires are semi track tires (if I can call them that - more racing profile, low tread, close to semi slicks - large contact patch)... is that type of tyre that you are looking for, for daily use? I cant expect it rains very much there, so perhaps thats reasonable.

If so, there aren't many alternatives out there... Pirelli Pzero Corsa I think, but thats about it. The rest arent track tires, but street tires...

Old 12-17-2010, 11:55 PM
PyroKerry has a spectacular aura aboutPyroKerry has a spectacular aura about
If it never rains, and you don't care how long the tire lasts, then get Hoosier R6 or A6! Very light, very sticky, no tread! The A6 is as close to a racing slick as you can get with a DOT rating.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:25 AM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
I have a set of pilot cups in saudi if you are interested

Old 12-18-2010, 08:35 AM
bensto is a splendid one to beholdbensto is a splendid one to beholdbensto is a splendid one to beholdbensto is a splendid one to beholdbensto is a splendid one to beholdbensto is a splendid one to beholdbensto is a splendid one to behold
continental extreme contact. best deal in the world on them at tirerack right now. great tire. i have new wheels on my ride (will post picture soon). corforged.com precise wheels with the cont. tires. 325s in rear. it is sick.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:28 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Shoot me a PM with the following info and I will be happy to get you a delivered price to Kuwait:

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cdamon%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsoh tml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:536871559 0 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> The product description of what you would like to order. Sizes, manufacturer, model name, etc.<o>

</o>
The year, make, and model of your vehicle.<o></o>

Your complete billing address and phone number.<o></o>

The shipping address and phone number, if different.<o></o>

With this information I will submit a quote to our shipping department. A return shipping quote with options will generally be returned within 24 hours.<o></o>

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 12-18-2010, 11:36 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MK-ALSABAH
Hey guys!
i am looking for tires for my 997 turbo. i have bridgestone tires installed. but the problem is that they are very heavy. 11KG heavier than the Michelin cup tires.
In kuwait Michelin cup tires are out of stock. I would really want to know the pricing of michelin tires and were i can get them.

please give me other brands as a suggestion. if their lighter or have better traction with pricing please.
Glad someone also notices the weight difference. I posted a list of tire weights here:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-turbo-14.html

Here is my informal tire weight ranking, courtesy of Tire Rack's Tires for Porsche 997 Turbo (pls pardon and correct any mistake).

The number in bold are the weights of one front plus one rear tire:
Michelin Cup: front/rear 20/27 = 47 lbs
Pirelli Corsa: 21/26 = 47
Continental Extreme Contact DW: 21/28 = 49
Michelin PS2: 22/28 = 50
Continental SportContact 3: 22/28 = 50
Pirelli Rosso: 22/29 = 51
Bridgestone RE050A: 24/31 = 55
Toyo R888: 25/31 = 56
Bridgestone RE11: 27/31 = 59

Interesting, no? A weight difference of 24 lbs, such as from Michelin/Pirelli cup to Bridgestone RE11, cannot be ignored IMHO. Another interesting example: a Turbo with iron brake and RE11 will have what, close to 60 lbs. more in unsprung weight than one with PCCB and Michelin Cup?
I am surprised that in my reading of tire comparisons on various forums, I've not run across more discussions of this extremely important parameter of tire weight. Does no one CARE about precession?

Old 12-18-2010, 11:49 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Glad someone also notices the weight difference. I posted a list of tire weights here:

Here is my informal tire weight ranking, courtesy of Tire Rack's Tires for Porsche 997 Turbo (pls pardon and correct any mistake).

Interesting, no? A weight difference of 24 lbs, such as from Michelin/Pirelli cup to Bridgestone RE11, cannot be ignored IMHO. Another interesting example: a Turbo with iron brake and RE11 will have what, close to 60 lbs. more in unsprung weight than one with PCCB and Michelin Cup?
I am surprised that in my reading of tire comparisons on various forums, I've not run across more discussions of this extremely important parameter of tire weight. Does no one CARE about precession?
Holy moly, Can. Didn't realize there was such a large weight discrepancy b/w those tires. Good post.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:25 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Leave it to Cannga to come up with the little details that make all the difference, he also just posted a great review of his new tires the Pirelli Corsa on the last page of his Billistien coilover review link.I wonder if the Corsa's come in a 20" version though as i'm in the market for something myself pretty soon, for some reason my rears are almost bald

Last edited by twturbo; 12-18-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:32 AM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cannga

Add to that it's a rotational weight and it's the most far point out of the center of the wheels which means it can effect acceleration and torque a lot.

actually i did notice the difference when I was in market for tires. I was surprised how a lot of people kept asking about wheels weight but rarely about tires.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:30 AM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
I just put Bridgestone RE-11’s on my TT for street use and love them. I even did one wet and cold track day with them (44F-56ºF). They managed about 22 minutes before getting a bit squirmy. I can’t complain for a full tread street tire on the track. On warm days (80º+F) I get about twenty minutes out of my MPS CUP’s....and they don’t get squirmy...they just go without much warning. Next set of track tires will be Hoosier R6’s. For the street, you’ll never get (MPSC’s, or most tires) warm enough to realize the grip they have to offer, not to mention the correlating pressure once up to temp. Unless you plan on running low psi all the time in anticipation for that “street race”

Old 12-19-2010, 04:22 AM
MKS
MKS is a glorious beacon of lightMKS is a glorious beacon of lightMKS is a glorious beacon of lightMKS is a glorious beacon of lightMKS is a glorious beacon of light
What about the nitto invos? they grip better than ps2's and you can find them just ask nawwaf they have ur size in stock

Old 12-19-2010, 08:34 AM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
Hated nitto on my cls63

Nothing better than ps2

Old 12-19-2010, 09:10 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
I've been running the RE-11's for about 7 months or so. Compared to the RE050's that came with the car and the PS2's that I have a lot of experience with, on this car, as well as others. The RE's are better in almost every way - grip, comfort, noise.

An added bonus i'm realizing now that the weather is getting cold is that the cold grip is actually very good - also better than what I remember from other tires.

The weight does suck and I wish they could do something about it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tires!!