997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Got a Turbo with Kw Variant 3 lost a filling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 10:34 PM
F430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really nice
Got a Turbo with Kw Variant 3 lost a filling

Got an 07 turbo w kw variant 3 - handles sick but I feel every pebble in the road - bone jarring roughness - going to have my friend try to soften them up hopefully that will do it (I'd be afraid to try and adjust myself)

Car has 20's on it - anyone know if it needs an alignment just from adjusting the ride?

I'm in NYC w the brutal roads here so I'm hoping I don't have to pull these out and go with Bilstiens - don't ever track the car and mainly use it for city driving -

Other than it's a rocket!! Take the doors off my 430!

Old 12-19-2010, 10:50 PM
ETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant future
You should see a big difference in ride quality if you go down to 19s

Old 12-19-2010, 10:51 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I would seriously consider the stock suspension in your case, esp in the city.
Yes, 19s by all means, 20s are a waste of time for street/track/anything.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:00 PM
F430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really nice
So you guys think the KW adjustment won't really do anything? Or switching to the bilsteins? The car has center lock wheels with new 20s - be an arm and. Leg to go to 19's

Old 12-19-2010, 11:36 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
performance wise KW might be better than bilstein but for daily driving KW are to stiff. I had them on my turbo and switched to Bilstein

Old 12-20-2010, 12:03 AM
Do you have 20" wheels as well? Did the ride improve greatly with the bilsteins? thank you all for the info - just don't want to make a mistake

Old 12-20-2010, 12:17 AM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by F430Spider
Do you have 20" wheels as well? Did the ride improve greatly with the bilsteins? thank you all for the info - just don't want to make a mistake
YES, 20's on the car. a lot softer and more drivable with the Bilstein.

KW: better for track and perfect road
Bilstein: better for those who is looking for something daily, yet more responsive.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:31 AM
And your roads are as bad as NY from what I hear? Lol

I guess I'll be looking at the Bilstiens - i am trying not to have ton spend another 8 grand on wheels going to 19's

You never thought about going down to 19's?

Old 12-20-2010, 03:17 AM
Originally Posted by F430Spider
And your roads are as bad as NY from what I hear? Lol

I guess I'll be looking at the Bilstiens - i am trying not to have ton spend another 8 grand on wheels going to 19's

You never thought about going down to 19's?
have 360forged 20's and 19'' OZ's. Both were better with bilstein. KW are super good but to stiff for streets. Their spring constant ratio is way higher than bilstein.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:47 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Are the KW's adjustable? If yes, that should help. The 20" wheels are a real detriment to city driving. Oz Allegrettos are cheap and high quality, light too.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:13 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Hi Larry/landjet, the KW is adjustable, compression and rebound, independently of each other (in this aspect, actually "better" than Bilstein, in which these 2 parameters are not independently adjusted). However, the compression adjustability is only for low speed (of piston rod, not car); the high speed compression is fixed by KW.

For those who don't already know, the speed here refers to speed of piston rod, NOT the car. For example, in a big sweeping curve, the piston rod is compressed slowly (low speed). When you hit a bump, the rod is compressed fast (high speed). Any pro lurking here please correct me as needed.

To increase comfort around city driving, one could decrease the rebound damping, but problem is this would affect stability at freeway speed (underdamped, porpoise motion, as reported by owners of some lowering springs).
I would imagine decreasing the high speed compression damping might also help, but as mentioned above this is not adjustable in the KW.

I am sure Abdullah/cayenne_USA has played with these settings (although seemingly without success) and could share his experience. My friends Mike (Gotboost) and Ed (bonehead) are other owners of KW on this forum so OP might want to ask them. The KW is a top notch system but I have never driven one and am actually surprised how stiff it appears to be per these reports. This could be due to its rear spring rate, which is very very high, around 927 or something like that, as opposed to Bilstein's 565. Even for a progressive spring, this final rate is higher than what I normally see. This is strictly a guess and I don't mean to be critical in any way. Just discussing for info and KW is one of two systems I might have recommended for the Turbo. Actually one of three, the TPC system is also outstanding, but probably a touch stiffer than Bilstein.

Last edited by cannga; 12-20-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:08 AM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
softer spring rates could be another option..

kw's are set for optimal settings from the factory, if your tech didnt play with them they should be in that configuration.

being that you are on 20's im suprised you went with the kw as your obiously more into show than go.

mike

Old 12-20-2010, 11:47 AM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I would seriously consider the stock suspension in your case, esp in the city.
Yes, 19s by all means, 20s are a waste of time for street/track/anything.
+1 to Chris's suggestion

Old 12-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Banned
Robin@EPL is infamous around these parts
Try adjusting them first-- without spending ANZE/Moton money, the KWs have the best ride out of any coilover, IMO.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:54 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
you can change the spring rate and shock settings to get it right I thought?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got a Turbo with Kw Variant 3 lost a filling