997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Turbo Timer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 02:18 PM
sidwin is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by venkatreddytx
The turbos on the 997TT are oil and water cooled unlike the 300ZX and Supra which were oil cooled only.

Convention current keeps the water moving slowing after shutdown and prevents coking of oil.

This is the reason you do not need a turbo timer on a 997TT.

Hope this answer you question.
that's not true. supras are both oil and water cooled turbos. aftermarket turbo kits are usually oil cooled only but if you are dual ball bearing then once again oil and water cooled.

turbo timers might not be needed but it surely makes most people feel better and has the cool factor when you walk away from your car that is still running

sid

Old 06-24-2014, 02:27 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sidwin
that's not true. supras are both oil and water cooled turbos. aftermarket turbo kits are usually oil cooled only but if you are dual ball bearing then once again oil and water cooled.

turbo timers might not be needed but it surely makes most people feel better and has the cool factor when you walk away from your car that is still running

sid
You're really resurrecting the old stuff - looks like most TTs stayed cool enough without timers - at least since 2010.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:29 PM
sidwin is infamous around these parts
so after a long drive i hear the fans coming on. is it better to simply open the trunk and let the engine bay cool down is it better to have the fan run? i drove 1550 miles this weekend picked up the car in NYC and drove to New Orleans. that was some heat and brake dust...

sid

Old 06-24-2014, 02:31 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sidwin
so after a long drive i hear the fans coming on. is it better to simply open the trunk and let the engine bay cool down is it better to have the fan run? i drove 1550 miles this weekend picked up the car in NYC and drove to New Orleans. that was some heat and brake dust...

sid
You'll get mixed answers. The fan blows air into the engine compartment directing heat downward. Folks who advocate leaving hood closed think it's better to have the heat from the exhaust system directed downwards as opposed to having air exiting upwards over the engine when the hood is open. Personally I open the hood and use a floor fan to direct heat out of the garage.