997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Turbo Timer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:51 PM
F430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really nice
Turbo Timer?

In the past my 300zx and supras needed turbo Timers to prevent coking in the turbo, do the 997TT Need one as well? Im not one for sitting in the car and letting it idle for a while - Thanks!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:26 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
No need. Fans automatically come on after shutdown if too hot. Just to be safe, I don't goose it for about a mile before I get home.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:31 PM
F430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really nice
Fans would stop the coking - you know when oil gets left in the turbo without running through - it gets sludgy - most turbo cars they say to run it for a minute before you shut it down

Old 12-21-2010, 09:40 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
No need. Fans automatically come on after shutdown if too hot. Just to be safe, I don't goose it for about a mile before I get home.

Same here. And I don't mind sitting for a minute just listening to the exhaust burble while I wait for the oil pressure gauge to drop down to mid point.

BTW, I have found, more often than not, that if I turn off the engine while the oil pressure is still quite high and leave it for a day or 2, I will get smoke on the next start-up.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:45 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
Same here. And I don't mind sitting for a minute just listening to the exhaust burble while I wait for the oil pressure gauge to drop down to mid point.

BTW, I have found, more often than not, that if I turn off the engine while the oil pressure is still quite high and leave it for a day or 2, I will get smoke on the next start-up.
Oil temp or oil pressure?? My last two 997's oil pressure drops to midpoint as soon as rpm goes to idle.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:59 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Oil temp or oil pressure?? My last two 997's oil pressure drops to midpoint as soon as rpm goes to idle.
I haven't done any 'scientific' testing but I can stop at a light and will notice that the oil pressure indicator is pegged on 5 and it's definitely idling.

I haven't really timed how long it takes for it to fall to the mid-point. But like Bonehead, I drive very slowly the last mile or so (24mph limit in community) so I don't have to spend much time letting the oil pressure drop when I park it.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:02 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
I haven't done any 'scientific' testing but I can stop at a light and will notice that the oil pressure indicator is pegged on 5 and it's definitely idling.

I haven't really timed how long it takes for it to fall to the mid-point. But like Bonehead, I drive very slowly the last mile or so (24mph limit in community) so I don't have to spend much time letting the oil pressure drop when I park it.
Wow - I've had an 07 turbo and now an 08 and have never seen the 5 mark at idle. I also take a back road home that allows 2 miles to cool down.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:05 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
just let the car idle for a min before you shut down if you did some spirited driving. Once in a while you will get a puff of smoke on start up, not to worry they all do that for this very same reason

Old 12-21-2010, 12:05 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
I let my car idle for a minute. It's not too much of a hassle.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:37 PM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by F430Spider
In the past my 300zx and supras needed turbo Timers to prevent coking in the turbo, do the 997TT Need one as well? Im not one for sitting in the car and letting it idle for a while - Thanks!
The turbos on the 997TT are oil and water cooled unlike the 300ZX and Supra which were oil cooled only.

Convention current keeps the water moving slowing after shutdown and prevents coking of oil.

This is the reason you do not need a turbo timer on a 997TT.

Hope this answer you question.

Last edited by venkatreddytx; 12-21-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by venkatreddytx
The turbos on the 997TT are oil and water cooled unlike the 300ZX and Supra which were oil cooled only.

Convention current keeps the water moving slowing after shutdown and prevents coking of oil.

thats exactly the answer I was looking for! Thanks man!!

Old 12-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Former Vendor
neoneo1neo is infamous around these parts
unless you have a upgraded bigger turbo.
i think porsche's factory design should work perfectly fine.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 12-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Wow - I've had an 07 turbo and now an 08 and have never seen the 5 mark at idle. I also take a back road home that allows 2 miles to cool down.
I got curious about what I was smoking, er...seeing, so this afternoon I started the car and immediately the oil pressure goes to 5. It seems that it will stay up there until the oil really starts to warm up and then it is pretty much as you stated: down around mid-point at idle.

I can't explain why I would occasionally see the oil pressure higher than mid-point as I drive into the garage. Maybe the drug called Porsche is still messing with what's left of my brain.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by venkatreddytx

I was going to type the same EXACT thing.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:15 PM
I got curious about what I was smoking, er...seeing, so this afternoon I started the car and immediately the oil pressure goes to 5. It seems that it will stay up there until the oil really starts to warm up and then it is pretty much as you stated: down around mid-point at idle.

I can't explain why I would occasionally see the oil pressure higher than mid-point as I drive into the garage. Maybe the drug called Porsche is still messing with what's left of my brain.
Well we suffer from the same addiction - you had me doubting what i was seeing so I did the exact same thing - went to the garage started and had similar results as you did.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo Timer?