997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

How do you know the condition of carbon ceramics?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:39 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bbywu
I've heard the exact same thing. I don't have anything solid from Porsche, it's all hearsay. On that note, even though the front discs do the lion's share in stopping, the rear's are subject to faster wear. Should probably check both at the same time.
yep, the rears get beaten up. most realize now that it's the electronics that might be the culprit

Old 01-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
Cracks are not a good indication of wear on PCCB rotors, New PCCB rotors out of the box have cracks . Those little dime sized circles are supposed to be there... they werent from fixing "flaws" like the one poster responded.

A better indication of when to replace is the roughness of the surface and how much material is actually flaking off the wear surface. There is actually a certain permissible amount that will flake off... anything beyond that and they will need to be replaced.... Dont have the specs in front of me, but most dealerships should be able to provide that info.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:24 PM
dan993 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Porsche917
Those little dime sized circles are supposed to be there... .
Are these features a result of the manufacturing process? Or is there a specific function?

Old 01-05-2011, 06:12 PM
slawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by E55AMG
yep, the rears get beaten up. most realize now that it's the electronics that might be the culprit
You are absolutely right on , that is one of the reasons I drive mostly with
PASM of .PASM and ABS system is what kilts rear rotors .

Old 01-05-2011, 06:47 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by slawek
You are absolutely right on , that is one of the reasons I drive mostly with
PASM of .PASM and ABS system is what kilts rear rotors .
Did you mean PSM rather than PASM? In what way does ABS affect the rear rotors?

Old 01-05-2011, 06:49 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Conversation is getting interesting so can you explain a bit more what's going on with the electronics.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:19 PM
slawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond repute
Yeas sorry I mean the PSM system.If you drive on the track or anywhere aggressively with PSM "on" and try to slow car fast before turns, your ABS and traction control will kick in way sooner then with the PSM "off". Majority of the break force goes to rear wheels ,and because the ABS is applied in multiply pulse signal and the bait of the break pads is not consistent rear rotors safer(it is almost like they are getting hammered).

Last edited by slawek; 01-05-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:33 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Great thread. My understanding of the PCCB issue at the track is that the Stability system works by applying brake to a particular wheel when the parameters it's sensing indicate that the car is getting out of control. For example, if it's sensing rear of car oversteering out of control, it may apply brake to the outside rear wheel (don't know exact algorithm -- just giving examples).

Intuitively somehow I keep thinking controling a car spinning out of control most likely involves braking one of the REAR wheel (versus front), therefore it's the rear brake that gets killed, but I am not sure at all. Just speculating here.

I also recall reading someone (not me - no flame please ) claiming that smoother driver will wear out PCCB less.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by cannga
Great thread. My understanding of the PCCB issue at the track is that the Stability system works by applying brake to a particular wheel when the parameters it's sensing indicate that the car is getting out of control. For example, if it's sensing rear of car oversteering out of control, it may apply brake to the outside rear wheel (don't know exact algorithm -- just giving examples).
That sounds more like the PTV (P Torque Vectoring) system that was introduced with the TT.2.

Intuitively somehow I keep thinking controling a car spinning out of control most likely involves braking one of the REAR wheel (versus front), therefore it's the rear brake that gets killed, but I am not sure at all. Just speculating here.
Your intuition is good because that's how M-B designed their stability management system BUT they use front and rear brakes selectively.

I also recall reading someone (not me - no flame please ) claiming that smoother driver will wear out PCCB less.
No flame here as that makes perfect sense.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Doing a little more research on PSM didn't answer why rear brakes would suffer more but I did find something interesting that sheds light on how PSM really works.

http://www.deter.com/porsche/PSM.txt

The Porsche website also indicates that PSM can apply SELECTIVE braking to any wheel as needed.

Still doesn't answer the question about rear brake wear.

And if rear PCCB's wear out, rear steel rotors must wear out at a faster rate too.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:46 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
Conversation is getting interesting so can you explain a bit more what's going on with the electronics.
Ruf turbo, i'm not very technical and am very careful to not post things on topics like this unless im 100% sure I know what i'm talking about - that's why I used "might" in my post. I was hesitant to say anything at all because i'm far from an expert.

That said, I know i've read somewhere that even if the PSM light doesn't come on, it is still posssible that the rear brakes are being "applied" by the electronics. Or, something to that effect - similar to what Can also posted.

I'm going to stop now before I get myself into trouble LOL.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:26 AM
dan993 is infamous around these parts
Quote:
"Those little dime sized circles are supposed to be there... ."

Originally Posted by dan993
Are these features a result of the manufacturing process? Or is there a specific function?
We continue to be interested in this feature that has been reported at the start of this thread. We have now checked three full sets of PCCBs from the following cars: CGT, 07 Turbo, 11 Turbo S. None of the 12 rotors inspected have this feature.

Porsche917, can you please elaborate on your statement that these features are supposed to be there (agreed, as without them, there would be large holes), and that these are not the result of repair during the manufacturing process of some manufacturing imperfection?

Thank you.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:43 AM
That said, I know i've read somewhere that even if the PSM light doesn't come on, it is still posssible that the rear brakes are being "applied" by the electronics. Or, something to that effect - similar to what Can also posted.

I'm going to stop now before I get myself into trouble LOL.

You're not going to 'get yourself into trouble' for adding positively to the conversation. It's still helpful as it gives me another lead to research.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by dan993
Quote:
"Those little dime sized circles are supposed to be there... ."

We continue to be interested in this feature that has been reported at the start of this thread. We have now checked three full sets of PCCBs from the following cars: CGT, 07 Turbo, 11 Turbo S. None of the 12 rotors inspected have this feature.

Porsche917, can you please elaborate on your statement that these features are supposed to be there (agreed, as without them, there would be large holes), and that these are not the result of repair during the manufacturing process of some manufacturing imperfection?

Thank you.
I"ve seen these on my car as well - can't go look at it now to give more details. I was also told they are some type of wear indicator as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:55 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Before tracking my car the 1st time I did a lot of research on PCCB's. I'm not going to get into the whole "they can't be tracked" or "yes they can be tracked". All I'll say is that if you dig deep there is some pretty interesting info. out there.

Now, with regards to pads. This was also part of my due diligence. I spoke to several shops that actually RACE porsche's - TPC, GMG, and the guys at the former Farnbacher-Loles. To a man, they all told me the best way to increase the life of PCCB discs is to NOT let the pads get below 50%.

I was about 50% wear at around 30,000-35,000 miles on my car and changed them out. Reasonable insurance as far as i'm concerned.
Thanks for the very good info. This is what I will do then.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you know the condition of carbon ceramics?