997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

How do you know the condition of carbon ceramics?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Car-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond repute
Message Removed

Message Removed

Last edited by Car-Narcissist; 07-04-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:34 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
There is some controversy as to whether or not these are wear indicators - I have not been able to get a straight answer on multiple forums or from Porsche technicians. They can most certainly be seen on a new vehicle (my GT2 purchased used < 195 miles on it had them.) However, many believe that the circles get bigger with time.

Look for cracks between the vented holes. Here is some additional info about checking PCCBs:

Last edited by bbywu; 01-02-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:38 AM
bli8 is infamous around these partsbli8 is infamous around these parts
Hair line cracks on my 996 GT3's PCCB and was told by a few "experts" that as long as the cracks didn't span 3 holes, it's okay, but it was close to reaching 3 holes.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:33 PM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
I think the main thing to look for, from what I've been told, is to ensure the pad are replaced before they get to 50% wear. Supposedly if you do that, absent hard tracking, the rotors last a long long time.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:25 PM
dan993 is infamous around these parts
My Turbo S has no such 'circles' on the discs and I have never seen them on any other. I checked with our VP Engineering (StopTech) and his reply after revieiwing this thread:

"I don't know of any reason to include that round feature in the parts for wear indication. As you have seen the "wear limits" were originally mass (or mass loss), cracks, surface eruption (an indicator of oxidation limits being reached), size wear indicators, and chips most likely due to damage from careless wheel installment.<O</O
<O</O

I believe the circles are due to machining out a flaw that is detected, bored or drilled to remove and then a slurry (the same material as the original build) used to refill that space. The same materials being used doesn't mean it would not appear different.<O</O

The test of that theory would be a check of locations: does it always appear in the same place or is it more random in radial position? Random also includes it presence on one rotor on a car but not all or any others. If it is repeating in presence AND position then maybe there is another reason."<O</O

Last edited by dan993; 01-03-2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: smileys
Old 01-03-2011, 11:18 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bli8
Hair line cracks on my 996 GT3's PCCB and was told by a few "experts" that as long as the cracks didn't span 3 holes, it's okay, but it was close to reaching 3 holes.
From Porsche's TSB regarding IRON brakes not PCCBs:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
cracked rotors.pdf (42.0 KB, 186 views)
Old 01-03-2011, 11:47 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
My tt is 2008 model with PCCB, i have 30k KMs on it now. When should i look for brake pads?

Old 01-04-2011, 06:45 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by milou
My tt is 2008 model with PCCB, i have 30k KMs on it now. When should i look for brake pads?
Have you measured the pad thickness? That usually will tell you when to replace.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:19 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
no i havent, i will

Old 01-04-2011, 09:28 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by xseal
I think the main thing to look for, from what I've been told, is to ensure the pad are replaced before they get to 50% wear. Supposedly if you do that, absent hard tracking, the rotors last a long long time.
Great thread, great info. I've read the 50% thing above too.

Could anyone who has looked into this more carefully than I have comment on this? Bob? Fact or rumor?

Old 01-04-2011, 12:22 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cannga
Great thread, great info. I've read the 50% thing above too.

Could anyone who has looked into this more carefully than I have comment on this? Bob? Fact or rumor?
Before tracking my car the 1st time I did a lot of research on PCCB's. I'm not going to get into the whole "they can't be tracked" or "yes they can be tracked". All I'll say is that if you dig deep there is some pretty interesting info. out there.

Now, with regards to pads. This was also part of my due diligence. I spoke to several shops that actually RACE porsche's - TPC, GMG, and the guys at the former Farnbacher-Loles. To a man, they all told me the best way to increase the life of PCCB discs is to NOT let the pads get below 50%.

I was about 50% wear at around 30,000-35,000 miles on my car and changed them out. Reasonable insurance as far as i'm concerned.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:17 PM
jasont is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by E55AMG
Before tracking my car the 1st time I did a lot of research on PCCB's. I'm not going to get into the whole "they can't be tracked" or "yes they can be tracked". All I'll say is that if you dig deep there is some pretty interesting info. out there.

Now, with regards to pads. This was also part of my due diligence. I spoke to several shops that actually RACE porsche's - TPC, GMG, and the guys at the former Farnbacher-Loles. To a man, they all told me the best way to increase the life of PCCB discs is to NOT let the pads get below 50%.

I was about 50% wear at around 30,000-35,000 miles on my car and changed them out. Reasonable insurance as far as i'm concerned.
Are there any good aftermarket ceramic pad manufacturers or did you go OEM pads? I've searched and have been a little confused over the aftermarket pads I have come across so far...

Old 01-04-2011, 04:48 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jasont
Are there any good aftermarket ceramic pad manufacturers or did you go OEM pads? I've searched and have been a little confused over the aftermarket pads I have come across so far...
I went OEM. I've read some conflicting things about aftermarket pads - I would think a more aggressive pad will be harder on the rotor, no? I'm no track junkie so OEM seemed like the way to go.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by E55AMG

I've heard the exact same thing. I don't have anything solid from Porsche, it's all hearsay. On that note, even though the front discs do the lion's share in stopping, the rear's are subject to faster wear. Should probably check both at the same time.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:17 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
When I purchased my 997tt it had 19k miles on it...The dealer told me they replaced the pads on the pccb as part of the cpo process...So I'm not sure if they did it to cpo my car or just because they were worn...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you know the condition of carbon ceramics?