997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Akrapovic OR Europipe for my .2 tt PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 04:29 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by split
is there a video anywhere of the akrapovic exhaust on a 997.22tt? i want to hear what $9k sounds like..

this is all i've found so far: [youtube]R2dM0GmcwCo[/youtube]

i'd love to hear an in car video in a tunnel with the windows up. (windows down has too much wind noise for mic's usually)
I concede these youtube clips should be taken with a big grain of salt 99% of the time but to be perfectly honest that car sounds nowhere near as good as my EP....and i mean nowhere near as good. I also noticed the tips look stock so i'm not convinced the system they really had on that car is the Akropvic as they use their own tip which looks much like a drinking straw sitting inside an oval water pipe. I wasn't aware the Akro has the risk of throwing CELs either but if thats the case thats a deal breaker in itself. The 9.5K price tag is another one and i therefore must seriously wonder just how many of these systems are actually sold and on cars???? The whole high $ concept is reminiscent of a "pipe dream"...gone terribly wrong.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:31 AM
_AMG_ is infamous around these parts_AMG_ is infamous around these parts
Cant go wrong with titanium. Akrapovic gets my vote.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:40 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by _AMG_
Cant go wrong with titanium. Akrapovic gets my vote.
So throwing cels is not going wrong? Agree titanium is a nice concept but at 9.5 large...and with cels...and funny straws ....hmm okyay...way you go .

Old 01-07-2011, 04:57 AM
Originally Posted by speed21
So throwing cels is not going wrong? Agree titanium is a nice concept but at 9.5 large...and with cels...and funny straws ....hmm okyay...way you go .
Im not too familiar with the 997 TT, Why does the Akrapovic throw CEL on the turbos? Faulty o2 sensors?
When I said you cant go wrong with titanium I meant you cant go wrong with the lightweight titanium construction, I never said anything about CEL.

Last edited by _AMG_; 01-07-2011 at 05:08 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:06 AM
Banned
Im not too familiar with the 997 TT, Why does the Akrapovic throw CEL on the turbos? Please elaborate.
And when I mean you cant go wrong with titanium I meant you cant go wrong with the lightweight titanium construction, I never said anything about CEL.
That's eally a question you'd be best directing to the manufacturer. The OP may also be able to shed some light as well....needless to say i recall hearing this cel issue on this forum previously. Re the titanium construction. OK i acknowledge there is a weight advantage using titanium....not sure exactly how much difference we are actually talking about here between the EP product but if you've ever seen an EP in the flesh you will understand the true meaning of Art and construction perfection. And then the unique sound is another thing. But best don't take my word for that....see it and hear it for yourself...and then tell me is that weight saving really worth more than twice the price. Then again, if you are in the billionaire club, and don't mind the alleged cel issue here and there, as i said, go for it!!

Last edited by speed21; 01-07-2011 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:30 AM
That's eally a question you'd be best directing to the manufacturer. The OP may also be able to shed some light as well....needless to say i recall hearing this cel issue on this forum previously. Re the titanium construction. OK i acknowledge there is a weight advantage using titanium....not sure exactly how much difference we are actually talking about here between the EP product but if you've ever seen an EP in the flesh you will understand the true meaning of Art and construction perfection. And then the unique sound is another thing. But best don't take my word for that....see it and hear it for yourself...and then tell me is that weight saving really worth more than twice the price. Then again, if you are in the billionaire club, and don't mind the alleged cel issue here and there, as i said, go for it!!
Never seen the Europipe in person but I have heard it on a GT3 and it sounds great. I never said that EP isnt good, im sure its great quality stuff. Would I pay 9.5K for a titanium exhaust? Nope. Then again Akrapovic is one of the best constructed systems I have ever seen (in person). But that still dosent justify the price tag for some weight saving.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:48 AM
Banned
Never seen the Europipe in person but I have heard it on a GT3 and it sounds great. I never said that EP isnt good, im sure its great quality stuff. Would I pay 9.5K for a titanium exhaust? Nope. Then again Akrapovic is one of the best constructed systems I have ever seen (in person). But that still dosent justify the price tag for some weight saving.
Firstly im not advocating EP is the only system anyone with a 997tt should buy as there are many good sounding systems out there for less $ and everyone has their budget and sound preference/tolerance to drone etc. Now are any of them as good sounding as an EP?...well thats personal preference so with all due respect, each to his own on that point. In so far as construction, design, and overall build quality, welding, and materials etc, EP is unquestionably THE best exhaust i've seen period including akropovic (imho). So whilst it may not be the cheapest in the pricing pecking order of the 997tt exhaust offerings, in terms of the value it represents, in comparison to all others i've seen (including Porsches OEM systems) it is without doubt in my mind the cheapest and best value out there. Again just MHO.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:02 AM
Firstly im not advocating EP is the only system anyone with a 997tt should buy as there are many good sounding systems out there for less $ and everyone has their budget and sound preference/tolerance to drone etc. Now are any of them as good sounding as an EP?...well thats personal preference so with all due respect, each to his own on that point. In so far as construction, design, and overall build quality, welding, and materials etc, EP is unquestionably THE best exhaust i've seen period including akropovic (imho). So whilst it may not be the cheapest in the pricing pecking order of the 997tt exhaust offerings, in terms of the value it represents, in comparison to all others i've seen (including Porsches OEM systems) it is without doubt in my mind the cheapest and best value out there. Again just MHO.
I agree with what you are saying. Even though I haven't had experience with EP, it sounds like a great exhuast system.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:30 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Guys,

The OP is talking about the 997.2 not 997.1.
I point that out because the 997.2 stock exhaust is different from that of the 997.1.

Porsche have outsourced the 997.2 tt exhaust system to a German company called Boysen.
The exhaust is designed in Germany and manufactured in china!

The 997.2 tt exhaust is already significantly lighter than the 997.1 system.

The EP system is exactly 600 grams heavier than the 997.2 system but still remains quite a bit lighter than the 997.1 tt exhaust.

Construction quality is second to none and exceeds that of the stock exhaust.

Sound is very civilized and as such may not appeal to those who like it LOUD!
Drone is on par, if not lower than the stock exhaust.

Look for my full review on the EP that I posted on the forum a while back.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 AM
SpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by k_ddsl
Guys,

The OP is talking about the 997.2 not 997.1.
I point that out because the 997.2 stock exhaust is different from that of the 997.1.

Porsche have outsourced the 997.2 tt exhaust system to a German company called Boysen.
The exhaust is designed in Germany and manufactured in china!

The 997.2 tt exhaust is already significantly lighter than the 997.1 system.

The EP system is exactly 600 grams heavier than the 997.2 system but still remains quite a bit lighter than the 997.1 tt exhaust.

Construction quality is second to none and exceeds that of the stock exhaust.

Sound is very civilized and as such may not appeal to those who like it LOUD!
Drone is on par, if not lower than the stock exhaust.

Look for my full review on the EP that I posted on the forum a while back.

Hope this helps.
Can't be said better ..

One more important point though, The 997.2tt ECU throws CEL by default on 100 cells .. That if the ECU is not tuned.
EP systems are very good in terms of quality and build. But if it was a bit louder, it would've been my choice.
Unfortunately EP didn't have the same option when it did on the 997.1 level 1 - 2 and 3.
One system to go ..
and if I'd call a scale of loudness from 1 to 10 where 1 is stock. EP stands in the 3's .. IMO

Old 01-07-2011, 10:12 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Spunky thanks for the endorsement

One thing to note about the Europipe and CEL issue.

The Europipe system is a 100 cell system.

It is the only 100 cell exhaust system (at least that I know of) that will NOT throw a Check Engine Light with stock ECU (i.e. no tune).

But as Spunky mentioned, if you plan on upgrading your ECU tune, then the issue is moot.