997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Ticket in Kings Point-Great Neck, NY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 06:17 PM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Ticket in Kings Point-Great Neck, NY

Does anyone have any advise on getting out of a ticket I recieved today for a Stop Sign.

I really want to avoid the points (3) right now I have zero points. I know there are some LI members here and I am hoping someone might know someone who handles these things over there for a living (esq.) or better yet, knows someone on the inside.

I am expecting the S in a 2 months and will be shoppping insurance just prior to landing, this won't help I am sure!

Thanks

Last edited by JSF721; 01-06-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:52 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I've been tagged in GN b4. I went to court, at pretrail the prosecutor will try and plead you down to a non moving, 99% of the time.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:53 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Was it Nassau Cty. PD or village police? Nassau would be better as they will plea, not sure about the village. I have a lawyer who has helped me out on some in the past if you're interested.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:49 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I've been tagged in GN b4. I went to court, at pretrail the prosecutor will try and plead you down to a non moving, 99% of the time.
This was Kings Point Villiage Police. Do they plea down to no points?

Old 01-07-2011, 04:49 AM
Originally Posted by E55AMG
Was it Nassau Cty. PD or village police? Nassau would be better as they will plea, not sure about the village. I have a lawyer who has helped me out on some in the past if you're interested.
No it was the Village of Kings Point Police Department.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:19 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The last thing they want is an actual court case, just plead not guilty; they'll give you a date, show up and the prosecuter will approach you before and give you the deal. All they want is a nice, tidy closure and a check. Always good to have a PBA card in your wallet, give it to the cop with your license. Once they start writing it up as a moving violation they can't go back, if they see the card first they will hook you up 9 of 10 times. Of course, this is my anecdotal experience, results may vary.....

Old 01-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Former Vendor
Kai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant futureKai@ELITEMS has a brilliant future
If you need a good lawyer in the area, shoot me a PM.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
The last thing they want is an actual court case, just plead not guilty; they'll give you a date, show up and the prosecuter will approach you before and give you the deal. All they want is a nice, tidy closure and a check. Always good to have a PBA card in your wallet, give it to the cop with your license. Once they start writing it up as a moving violation they can't go back, if they see the card first they will hook you up 9 of 10 times. Of course, this is my anecdotal experience, results may vary.....
PBA card was returned as fast as I gave it. I slipped it behind the License. She took 2 steps, spun around and handed it back to me.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:07 PM
ouch

Old 01-07-2011, 07:29 PM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
Plead not guilty by mail. When you get a Court date simply appear and attempt to plea bargain the ticket with the Village prosecutor. When I used to live in KP that's how things worked. If you have a clean history with no recent moving violations, IMHO you have an excellent chance of a low point or no point plea. Just don't be a dick head and be standup about it and odds are you'll be OK. My 2 cents and yes I've been tagged in KP with my TT's over the years.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by tortesq1
Plead not guilty by mail. When you get a Court date simply appear and attempt to plea bargain the ticket with the Village prosecutor. When I used to live in KP that's how things worked. If you have a clean history with no recent moving violations, IMHO you have an excellent chance of a low point or no point plea. Just don't be a dick head and be standup about it and odds are you'll be OK. My 2 cents and yes I've been tagged in KP with my TT's over the years.
I just don't want the points at all if possible. if you show up with a Lawyer do you think that increases your odds of a pointless exit? I fully know I will yhave to pay fines and fees but I was hoping for it to be listed as a non moving violation.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:44 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
theres a chance it could be pled to a non moving. Just not sure how the village's work, compared to say Nassau county. I've had a speeder in nassau pled to a failure to signal. I had a speeder upstate NY pled to "parked on pavement" (still dont' knwo what that means ) for no points.

there are lawyers, llike the one I gave you that this is all they do - they know everyone. I had one speeder in suffolk that when the lawywer saw the ticket, he said "hey, that's Mike; I went to his wedding!" (It sounds like i get tickets every week, but these are over several years LOL).

not saying you can't do it on your own but if i can pay someone to go take care of it for me and get the best deal i can get, i'd rather do that.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:20 AM
The answer to the query of whether one should retain counsel is not so simple. Whenever I receive a local ticket I send my law firm partner to do the negotiating. The truth is that most successful business people I have met are much better negotiators than the average attorney out there. So if you are comfortable negotiating you don't need an attorney. That being said, if you really want to feel that you are giving it your best shot at resolving this matter, I strongly suggest that you do retain a local Nassau County based attorney who specializes in traffic tickets and is familiar with the KP Village Justice Court. There are attorneys who have to deal with a commercial trucker who received 10 separate tickets for a plethora of moving and non-moving violations when they make an unfortunate wrong turn on Middle Neck Road or East Shore Road and end up getting stopped by KP police. That is the type of attorney you should seek out. I wish I could handle this for you, but our boutique practice is limited to plaintiff side negligence. Good luck with it.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by E55AMG
theres a chance it could be pled to a non moving. Just not sure how the village's work, compared to say Nassau county. I've had a speeder in nassau pled to a failure to signal. I had a speeder upstate NY pled to "parked on pavement" (still dont' knwo what that means ) for no points.

there are lawyers, llike the one I gave you that this is all they do - they know everyone. I had one speeder in suffolk that when the lawywer saw the ticket, he said "hey, that's Mike; I went to his wedding!" (It sounds like i get tickets every week, but these are over several years LOL).

not saying you can't do it on your own but if i can pay someone to go take care of it for me and get the best deal i can get, i'd rather do that.
Kind of my thoughts, just not sure if I should give it a wack first?

Originally Posted by tortesq1
The answer to the query of whether one should retain counsel is not so simple. Whenever I receive a local ticket I send my law firm partner to do the negotiating. The truth is that most successful business people I have met are much better negotiators than the average attorney out there. So if you are comfortable negotiating you don't need an attorney. That being said, if you really want to feel that you are giving it your best shot at resolving this matter, I strongly suggest that you do retain a local Nassau County based attorney who specializes in traffic tickets and is familiar with the KP Village Justice Court. There are attorneys who have to deal with a commercial trucker who received 10 separate tickets for a plethora of moving and non-moving violations when they make an unfortunate wrong turn on Middle Neck Road or East Shore Road and end up getting stopped by KP police. That is the type of attorney you should seek out. I wish I could handle this for you, but our boutique practice is limited to plaintiff side negligence. Good luck with it.
Thanks, I am torn between trying to plead myself (I negotiate all day for a living (read sales) so i am comfortable). Just not sure if the old boys club is a better avenue. I wonder what the down side of pleading Not guilty, trying the plea, if its points then hire a esq?

Old 01-08-2011, 11:33 AM
I suggest that you plead not guilty (generally by mail for a Village Court or Nassau District Court). At your initial appearance, attempt to negotiate a plea with the Village prosecutor. If you are unsatisfied with the offered plea bargain, simply ask the Judge for an adjournment (of the trial date) so you may retain counsel. I see no downside as it is very rare that a bench trial will occur on your first appearance. Just remember to be respectful to the prosecutor and Judge. Do not disparage the police officer to the prosecutor as he or she knows the officer very well and will be inclined to believe them. The old adage that you get more with honey than vinegar is a truism in all Courts. BTW I have violated my own cardinal rule of never providing counsel to a non-retained client on the telephone or internet. Anyway, go kick so butt TT style !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.