997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Mmmm.....orangy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 06:49 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dianic
hey RPM Junkie I think that you missed the comment here. Kinda agressive opening post on a forum dont you think? Especially to a guy with 2000+posts.

The response of Bonehead is on the suggestion of ORANGE calippers on ORANGE wheels. Do YOU understand the word contrast? Orange to Orange DOESNT HAVE ANY CONTRAST even with black porsche script.

Bonehead, nice work, I like. If any orange accents on the car, which I agree, they should be vinyl which you can remove. Nothing permanent.

And on that RS you posted, thats the first car I see where the orange turn signals look decent!! We may have found a market for the orange turn signals everyone is removing. Sell them to European RS owners who get white turn signals but could do with orange ones!!! :-))))
Didn't even see your reply before I made mine, Nick.
As for my 2000 posts, that's irrelevant. Most of it is gibberish anyway What is significant is this idiots ONE post and join date of yesterday.
Regarding your suggestion regarding the turn signals, while interesting in theory, I'll still keep my clears

Old 01-20-2011, 12:41 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
I don't think you have to do anything with the calipers...BUT...if you are compelled to do something I would either go black caliper with orange lettering or silver caliper with black lettering.

Photoshop that and give us a look.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:43 AM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
Looks nice ... and you have the power to make it work ....

Any noticable gains from the HRE's??

Old 01-20-2011, 06:43 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
^^ agree. I dunno ed i think it all gets down to how long you wind up keeping orange wheels on your car. You just never know when the urge comes again to change rim colors. The red or yellow both work perfectly fine with the orange rims imo. Neither color has shown to have been a fashion disaster problem on the RS that has these orange rims so i wouldn't sweat it on the caliper colors. Agree with ruf that black and silver may work fine too but then what happens if one day you get out of bed and say its back to black or silver rims. Yellow and red calipers are after all the signature color for the car...if that helps.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:35 AM
TiDr is infamous around these parts
no to orange calipers. I wish you could do an orange stripe or outline of the window upper edge, kind of like the targa silver stripe that goes over the windows.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:42 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
I don't think you have to do anything with the calipers...BUT...if you are compelled to do something I would either go black caliper with orange lettering or silver caliper with black lettering.

Photoshop that and give us a look.
Originally Posted by speed21
^^ agree. I dunno ed i think it all gets down to how long you wind up keeping orange wheels on your car. You just never know when the urge comes again to change rim colors. The red or yellow both work perfectly fine with the orange rims imo. Neither color has shown to have been a fashion disaster problem on the RS that has these orange rims so i wouldn't sweat it on the caliper colors. Agree with ruf that black and silver may work fine too but then what happens if one day you get out of bed and say its back to black or silver rims. Yellow and red calipers are after all the signature color for the car...if that helps.
Gents, I think I'm in agreement. Letting too many opinions sway my original perception that red on orange looks fine. Yellow would be better, but not worth the hassle of painting them. Thanks for putting me back on track

Originally Posted by TT.BRN
Looks nice ... and you have the power to make it work ....

Any noticable gains from the HRE's??
Thanks!
I haven't done any 'testing' with the car as of yet Now that they're off the car, probably won't get any data with the HRE's vs the RS wheels. I imagine there won't be any world of difference either way, at least in a straight line.

Originally Posted by TiDr
no to orange calipers. I wish you could do an orange stripe or outline of the window upper edge, kind of like the targa silver stripe that goes over the windows.
Think I'm leaving everything as is. I suppose if I were to do any 'accent', it would be orange wing end plates. But only if I could wrap it. Painting anything on the car is a no no given that I have no idea how long I'll be keeping the RS wheels. But thanks for the suggestion

Old 01-20-2011, 01:16 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Hey Ed, I know you probably won’t go this direction...but satin black rims with orange powder coated calipers and black decals. Its just a nice visual from the boys at Champion Motorsports.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by VID997
Hey Ed, I know you probably won’t go this direction...but satin black rims with orange powder coated calipers and black decals. Its just a nice visual from the boys at Champion Motorsports.

Love it, Daren. But I want to keep the orange wheels as is for now. Although, that pic gives a pretty good indication that black calipers would go nicely with orange

Old 01-20-2011, 02:44 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
Um...yes I do and apparently you don't. So you can keep your asinine comments and opinions to yourself as I couldn't care less about what you think looks good or looks 'weird'.
Good first post, by the way. Now go crawl back into your hole and stay out of my thread. Mmmm kay? Thanks.

Ed, you've no idea how much you sounded like Dr. Perry in Scrubs with that reply. He's my all time hero for quick witted put downs! Lovin' it!

Old 01-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by k_ddsl

Ed, you've no idea how much you sounded like Dr. Perry in Scrubs with that reply. He's my all time hero for quick witted put downs! Lovin' it!
Glad you enjoyed it, Karim.
I was having an unusually bad morning, so one of the last things I could tolerate was worthless drivel from an idiot.

And thanks for the comparison. I love Dr. Perry!

Old 02-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Spacers

Offsets on these RS wheels were surprisingly horrible on my car. VID997 has the same setup and his seemed much more aggressive even without spacers. Not sure if it is the addition of the Techart skirts that make the wheels seem more recessed, but it did not look good.

Front

Rears

Added H&R spacers, 7mm front

15mm rear

Much better
Fronts could probably stand to go to 10mm, but I haven't heard anyone doing that, so I won't trailblaze. The 15's are VERY aggressive. At certain angles, it appears that the sidewalls are protruding past the fender. But looking at it directly from behind, I think it's fine. Haven't driven with it yet, but hopefully the rears won't rub

Last edited by bonehead; 02-06-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:00 PM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
I have a similar setup. My rears are 17mm I think (or thereabouts - they came with the car) and I have none at the front. It does look good, yes aggressive, yes tire bubbles out of the fender. Beware of debris from the tire scuffing the lower part of the bumper behind them... its one of the drawbacks. Thankfully, we get good whether. I would be having second thoughts about driving her in winter conditions with these spacers.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
The rears are out def there Ed but it looks a lot better than before! Hope it doesn't rub over bumps . It may pay to have some clear film spats on the gaurds behind your wheels. I had that done to mine as my rears are basically on the limmit.....maybe not quite as much as yours tho....but close. It helps protect from the stones when you stand on the gas .

Btw, offsets for GT3RS.1 rears are: ET51 plus the GT3 also uses a 5mm spacer as well to bring the rim out. The rims are 12 inch wide though (25.4mm) so not sure howthat is actually shared over each side of the rim.
The 997TT uses an 11" rim ET46 but no 5mm spacer and an offset of 46. so there is 10mm there in offset difference (5 + 5) not taking into consideration how the extra 25.4 rim width was shared over the rim.
The fronts use a 53 offset vs the stock 997tt Front 51 so if youve added 7 then youve really got 9 extra over stock. Anymore maybe pushing it.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:16 PM
996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, what a difference...Looks fantastic!

Originally Posted by bonehead
Offsets on these RS wheels were surprisingly horrible on my car. VID997 has the same setup and his seemed much more aggressive even without spacers. Not sure if it is the addition of the Techart skirts that make the wheels seem more recessed, but it did not look good.

Front

Rears

Added H&R spacers, 7mm front

15mm rear

Much better
Fronts could probably stand to go to 10mm, but I haven't heard anyone doing that, so I won't trailblaze. The 15's are VERY aggressive. At certain angles, it appears that the sidewalls are protruding past the fender. But looking at it directly from behind, I think it's fine. Haven't driven with it yet, but hopefully the rears won't rub

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.