997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Center Lock Wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 01:23 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Center Lock Wheels

More Porsche models are now coming standard with center lock wheels and even the after market people are offering them. So what is the advantage? As I understand it they add to the unsprung weight. They may allow a faster wheel change during a pit stop, but in the majority of racing done here, if you have to change a wheel you're toast anyway.

I don't see the need for center locks for a car driven primarily on the street.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
they are mostly for marketing because they look very cool...actually they are more practical for a street car since you don't have the wheels off very often...anyone who tracks regularly will be removing wheels often for inspections, replacement of brake pads, suspension changes, new tires...etc...that person will find them a huge pain in the butt because of the torque and special tools necessary to remove them and put them back on along with the greasing procedure recommended by Porsche...agggghhhhh....forget it

Old 01-15-2011, 09:54 AM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
they are mostly for marketing because they look very cool...actually they are more practical for a street car since you don't have the wheels off very often...anyone who tracks regularly will be removing wheels often for inspections, replacement of brake pads, suspension changes, new tires...etc...that person will find them a huge pain in the butt because of the torque and special tools necessary to remove them and put them back on along with the greasing procedure recommended by Porsche...agggghhhhh....forget it
Thanks for your input Chuck! Suspicions confirmed. Just more unnecessary eye candy. Now I'm wondering, can center locks be a no cost delete option?

Old 01-15-2011, 10:33 AM
CaptnCrash is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by HUMMM 3
Thanks for your input Chuck! Suspicions confirmed. Just more unnecessary eye candy. Now I'm wondering, can center locks be a no cost delete option?

In the 2011 Turbo S they are a no charge exchange for regular lug bolts. Not sure about the other models.

No way would I want those things on a street car either. Check around and you'll find that many, many tire shops don't have the necessary tools either May look cool, but from a practical point of view, definitely IMONSHO have no place on a street car.

--CC

Old 01-15-2011, 11:44 AM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
When we got our Turbo S I felt "cheated." Going from Turbo II to center locks is a 3,835.00 option on the Turbo but you don't get any credit going from center locks to Turbo II wheels on the Turbo S. After reading more about the center locks, I'm glad we don't have them. They do look good though.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:20 AM
ExactlyCake is infamous around these parts
Unconventional car that has unconventional attributes. In my opinion, if you have a vehicle of that pedigree, you should expect things to be more advanced. You wouldnt take your car to a Honda dealer to get serviced would you? You'd take it to the place that has the knowlage AND tools to properly service the car, why is the thoughts on center locks any different?

In my experience enthusiastic people notice three things immediately about a car, the car its self, the wheels/brakes and the owner. Center locks look so amazing, how could you take them away?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by ExactlyCake
Unconventional car that has unconventional attributes. In my opinion, if you have a vehicle of that pedigree, you should expect things to be more advanced. You wouldnt take your car to a Honda dealer to get serviced would you? You'd take it to the place that has the knowlage AND tools to properly service the car, why is the thoughts on center locks any different?

In my experience enthusiastic people notice three things immediately about a car, the car its self, the wheels/brakes and the owner. Center locks look so amazing, how could you take them away?
Apparently you've never experienced a flat tire in the middle of nowhere. With center locks you'll be looking for a flatbed and then you'll be lucky if you can get your car on it without serious (expensive) damage. I couldn't care less what "enthusiastic" people think.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:39 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HUMMM 3
Apparently you've never experienced a flat tire in the middle of nowhere. With center locks you'll be looking for a flatbed and then you'll be lucky if you can get your car on it without serious (expensive) damage. I couldn't care less what "enthusiastic" people think.
Could not agree with you more. After following this and the other center lock thread, I am happier now than ever that we don't have them on our Turbo S.