997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

DME Report - Your Thoughts On This One

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Car-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond repute
Message Removed

Message Removed

Last edited by Car-Narcissist; 07-02-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:04 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Car-Narcissist
I just got the DME report for the car I'm scheduled to buy on Saturday. What do you guys think of this...

Range 1 Ignitions: 15719
Range 2 Ignitions: 4160
Range 3 Ignitions: 677
Range 4 Ignitions: 10
Range 5 Ignitions: 0
Range 6 Ignitions: 0

If my math is right, this is 134 seconds at 7000 rpm, 11.5 seconds at 7200 rpm, and 5.5 seconds at 7,400 rpm.

Also, what is the DME function name that tells you if the car has been re-flashed?

Any one? Any one? Bueller? Bueller?
Your math is wrong, at least for Range 1 - 15,719 ignitions at 7,000 rpm is about 45 seconds - 3 ignitions every revolution times aboout 117 revolutions per second = 351 ignitions every second. Divide that into 15,719 and you get about 45 seconds. The DME readout should tell you if these are recent or not based on hour of last occurrence compared to toal hours. Don't know the answer to your last question. I wouldn't characterize these readings as "a lot of abuse"...but that's me. You have to make the decision.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:32 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Range 3 and 4 occured same time,possibly from a missed shift...Readout is not so bad...Number of programming operations will show you if the DME is reflashed at dealer...

Old 01-13-2011, 04:56 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
It seems that the previous owner did a fair number of 60-130 runs, is it excessive or does it constitute a lot of abuse? It could be. If he was doing a lot of high performance runs on a flashed ecu with low octane gas then that would not be good and considered abuse, imo. If the person was using MS109 all the time then probably OK. It just all depends and how comfortable you are with risk. I would also be concerned about the history of the car, previous mods, what's on there now, etc...I have heard of situations where cars are upgraded to 700 hp, then stripped of the mods for resale and stock parts put back on except the upgraded vtg turbos which remained.

Last edited by TTdude; 01-13-2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 01-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Abby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura about
That's quite abit of over rev with only 6000 miles on the clock.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:02 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Car-Narcissist
Also, what is the DME function name that tells you if the car has been re-flashed?

Any one? Any one? Bueller? Bueller?
A reflashed car may be detected by the number of programming operations. Any number >0 indicates a reflash - either a factory authorized one by the service department or an aftermarket one.

I also tend to agree with Abby997TT. 15K over revs (while probably safe) is a lot for a car with only 189 hours of use. A possible explanation for this has already been given - many high speed runs or multiple high rev downshifts. Another (less pleasant) explanation is drag racing - multiple high RPM clutch drops.

bob

Last edited by bbywu; 01-13-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:29 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
If the ECU was reflashed, any rev over 6850 will be clocked as a over-rev, just by bumping up the RL. I wouldn't worry, but I would use it as ammunition for a discount, esp if it has been flashed, bc any warranty is history.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:34 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Chris...I had talked to a few programmers out there...a few ECU flashes like FVD will raise the stock limit, but also shift the rev limits accordingly. I know my Ruf tune did that as well.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:16 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Bob,last week I had a DME scan on a RUF chipped 997TT...Rev limiter was raised to smt like 7100rpm and it had many range 1,2 and 3 ignitions...I havent seen a car with raised OEM rpm ranges,yet....And I dont think it is doable...
On the other hand my 997TT is tip with stock rev limit,and it has a few range 1,fewer range2 and 6 range 3 ignitions...Weird eh?You see when you go full throttle with 1st gear even with stock rev limit inertia turns the motor faster than rev limit...for a very short time...

Old 01-14-2011, 08:09 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Some tunes don't raise the flash count in the dme - Proto for example.

I had a flash count of 2 on my car when I bought it and presumably it was Porsche upgrades b/c the car was cpo-ed.

The overrevs were supposed to be shifted up with the higher rev limit on my flash too but I don't think it works correctly. Not a big deal since I rarely hit that high of an rpm anyway.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:36 AM
jasont is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TTdude
I have heard of situations where cars are upgraded to 700 hp, then stripped of the mods for resale and stock parts put back on except the upgraded vtg turbos which remained.

That does sound familiar... Oh, that's because it is mine

I still have the upgraded VTG's, have a fabspeed exhaust ready to install, will slap on a set of IC's and GIAC is going to re-tune the car with the same flash as before.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:42 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jasont
That does sound familiar... Oh, that's because it is mine

I still have the upgraded VTG's, have a fabspeed exhaust ready to install, will slap on a set of IC's and GIAC is going to re-tune the car with the same flash as before.
I had forgotten about yours but it happened on a 996tt that I know about. Will the original tuner reflash back for free in such cases?

Old 01-14-2011, 10:34 AM
jasont is infamous around these parts
I don't know about all of them, but in this case, yes. Austin @ GIAC is being very helpful and will reflash it for no cost provided it is the same program. If I decided to change the mods then he would have to re-tune and charge for that.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Cool. Kinda like a getting a 200 hp bonus.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by skandalis447
Bob,last week I had a DME scan on a RUF chipped 997TT...Rev limiter was raised to smt like 7100rpm and it had many range 1,2 and 3 ignitions...I havent seen a car with raised OEM rpm ranges,yet....And I dont think it is doable...
On the other hand my 997TT is tip with stock rev limit,and it has a few range 1,fewer range2 and 6 range 3 ignitions...Weird eh?You see when you go full throttle with 1st gear even with stock rev limit inertia turns the motor faster than rev limit...for a very short time...
I am told by Ruf engineers that their ECU upgrade is not a rewrite/reflash of the stock OEM unit, and the piggyback chip has a different range limit. Are you sure that your scan did not detect over revs that accumulated prior to the reprogramming (how many hours when the over revs occur?)

Here was Scott Slauson's response to the same question.

Just for some info the Softronic flashes can have the limiter raised or not. Now once it is raised it will index as the stock file does when the engine reaches the hard limiter. Basically if you floor the car and bounce of it it will index while driving. You would not gain in the over revs if you do not do this. As an example it could be raised to 9k in which is very high and it would not index unless you run into it at 9k. This would apply to any variable from stock and above.
<!-- / message -->

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.