997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Europipe Stage 1 install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 06:17 AM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
So did you just fit it?
No, I just got to download the Pics from the camera!

Old 03-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Former Vendor
stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dianic
finally, the gratuitous shots of the install... fresh off the camera

Do you believe this is a used exhaust with 10k kms on it? Thanks for making it like new again Stef.

My pleasure Nick and thanks for the pictures.

Your mechanic did a nice job, he even removed the temperature sensors !

Cheers, Stef

Old 03-07-2011, 02:44 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Nick,please pm me your phone number to meet...Excellent choice your echaust...Is your car tip or manual?

Old 03-07-2011, 03:00 PM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
Its a tip. PM sent.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:03 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Nick,your car is stock except the exhaust?PM replied...

Old 03-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Yes. Although you and Kostas experiments and experiences are tempting, I have decided it is enough to keep me happy. All I wanted was something more of a soundtrack, my C4S had PSE and it spoiled me.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:49 PM
drvik is a jewel in the roughdrvik is a jewel in the roughdrvik is a jewel in the rough
Nick,

How is are you finding the exhaust a few months down the line?? It sounds quite loud in the clip... do you have any problems with the neighbours?? Any regrets?

Cheers,

drvik

Old 06-07-2011, 03:22 AM
Funny you should ask, I took a friend for a ride the other day and he commented how good the car sounded.
Its very deep, few octaves lower than stock, with low bass notes.
However, when the car is warm it is far from intrusive. On the contrary I would call it very pleasing.

Note however that when the car is cold, it does sound close to the video. Loud and raspy. It lasts a few minutes, until things get warmed up, so I guess its just long enough to wake the neighbors! Sometimes it makes me wonder if I would have liked it as loud all the time. That sound is also very intoxicating.

The car also breaths better, drives better, the tip changes gears smoother. All in all a very notable improvement.

In any event there is no doubt in my mind that this is the best mod I could have done to the car, and one that I recommend to everyone. Anything else, cosmetic or engine wise should come second.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:13 AM
drvik is a jewel in the roughdrvik is a jewel in the roughdrvik is a jewel in the rough
Thanks Nick... your posts have been very useful to me... it sounds like this is the system I will chose if I am unable to find a better electronic valve system....

drvik

Old 06-07-2011, 05:37 AM
This from my favorite mag (UK published) on 911;s, called 911 and Porsche World. No affiliation, really worth a subscription in my view...

Nevertheless, and although I see the merit of the valve systems (having had a PSE) I believe the quality of build, and the customer service you will receive from Stef is unparalleled. At the end of the day, consider when exactly will you drive the system in "low noise"mode? Trust me, very few. I ended up doing the mod on my PSE so it was always on...

Old 06-07-2011, 06:03 AM
Nick how does the EP compare to the PSE... Both seem to be well liked... I wish Stef made a valvetronic version! Imagine, standard EP sound in "closed valve" mode and a muffler bypass sound in "open valve" mode!

Do you have some sound bites to share... I saw yours when you first installed it and 1 or 2 others but they are generally rare...

drvik

Old 06-07-2011, 10:56 AM
DLJ
DLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to behold
+1 Like to know your thoughts on the EP1 vs PSE as well.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:29 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
[quote=dianic;3095968]Installed my new to me europipe 3 days ago, and have been to busy driving to write about it!! In a nutshell, what a spectacular transformation!

But here it goes, from the beginning:

When I got my car last summer, the first thing I noticed and had also read about it, is that the exhaust note of the turbo left a lot to be desired. And when I heard it first hand, I couldnt agree more. My previous 997 C4S had the factory sport exhaust, and I ended driving around with the unplug mod, which basically left the sport exhaust on all the time (just unplug little orange plugin engine compartment and the flaps stay open all the time). I recall that sound fondly! The NA engine sounds great!
So after reading around a lot, and listening to crappy videos with exhaust notes, I decided that as build quality, and sound characteristics, as well as location of manufacture (for customs reasons) Europipe was my manufacturer of choice. But being in Europe means paying a hefty VAT charge, which radically changes the price of the system by a nice +23%, so I decided to look for a used system.

In my search I came across a used stage 2 here in Greece (thank you madsex) and another one in the UK on ebay. So I called Stef at europipe for an opinion and more info. Speaking to him I realized that what I was really after was a Stage 1. He said that as people were trading up to the 997.2, some stage 1 used systems were bound to come to the market. That was back in September or so I think...

Well at the beginning of December, I got an email form Stef saying that one of his clients in Belgium was replacing a TT with a GT3 and he was taking out the Stage 1 from his TT before trading it in. We sent me pictures, cleaned the exhaust (understatement of the year: made it look like NEW) and we struck a deal with the seller. I paid Stef for his installation kit, and shipping, and my exhaust was in the mail like the last gift that Santa was going to deliver!

Took it to the shop for installation this week, and stayed for the few hours it took them to install it. I have the necessary pics, but havent downloaded them - I think they add little value, we have all seen countless exhaust install pics. But the driving experience is worth describing:

First start after the install, and the engine is cold again. And you do recall that even factory exhaust sounds loud when the car is cold. If you are parking in an enclosed garage, that morning startup is an experience. Growl? Howl? LOUD! Gargling! You think you are in a race car. And wake up the neighbors... Super! However, thankfully (I am not looking for a head turner) it quiets down after a few mins. Overall, the exhaust tone just got 2 octaves deeper, with a lot more base. That is why the tiny computer speakers (or even the cam mics to be honest) cant capture it on the vids we have seen! You need a subwoofer to hear that low.
Everyone says you can hear the turbo's more. Thats an understatement as well! 2000-3000 rpm is my favorite range for in town driving right now. That turbo sound spooling is so addictive!
Kickdowns are much smother as well. At ridiculous speeds (which I will not quantify) the kicdown from 5th to 4th is almost immediate, all it takes is small pedal movement. Of course at those ridiculous speeds, the car is moving too fast for the sound of the exhaust to make a difference, but judging from tunnel driving, the car sounds great to those who are being passed! In my stint yesterday I was in a tunnel with a 458 Italia (so much for crisis ridden Greece) as we both dropped to third and accelerated. I cannot say that the sound from my car covered the howl of the Ferrari in a tunnel, but both where clearly audible and distinguishable, as their pitch is so different.

Overall, during in town driving, the car sounds throatier. The throttle response is more imminent, and the car feels stronger. A quick start at a traffic light feels like the car is faster, and it sounds so much better, without it being a head turner which is exactly what I wanted in the first place. Shifting is smoother, and dare I say quicker?

I am 100% pleased with my choice and I absolutely need to thank Stef, who not only guided me a few months ago but also sourced an exhaust for me. Dealing with him was an absolute pleasure, and the exhaust I received, although with 10,000 kms was like new. From screw heads which seemed new, to all hardware and straps on the exhaust was polished to perfection. Packaging was amazing, seemed like a custom made heavy duty cardboard enclosure.

I am now convinced that Santa does exist. It doesnt matter that I paid for my present, santa made it appear just in time for the New Year. So at least someone thinks I was nice last year!!

Have to agree EP1 gave my 997.1 much less turbo lag , better acceleeration and an improved Porsche-exotic sound on the road. Couldn't handle (wife/neighbors) the extra "growl, howl,loud gargling" as you call it on startup in the garage/driveway. Found this tank-like sound can be avoided by turning off the engine for a second before restarting. This slows the engine speed down as well as aborts extra rich gas to air mix causing this tone change. As I remember back, the stock system too sounded a bit louder and different on startup but not so bad.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by DLJ
+1 Like to know your thoughts on the EP1 vs PSE as well.
EP1 has significantly more bass. It is hard to describe. Consider it is going much lower in the frequency range. A subwoofer vs a large woofer. EP1 is a rumble. PSE is a gargle. But as far as hue is concerned, as well as loudness they are similar. The added bonus which i LOVE is that in the PSE there were no turbo's spooling in the background. With the EP1 that sound is just intoxicating.

Sorry for the delay havent been around the boards lately, its been busy...

Old 06-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by johnww
...Found this tank-like sound can be avoided by turning off the engine for a second before restarting. This slows the engine speed down as well as aborts extra rich gas to air mix causing this tone change. As I remember back, the stock system too sounded a bit louder and different on startup but not so bad.
I am not sure you should be doing that when the car is cold... I think it does need thte extra rich gas to air mix at startup... But its a nice trick. Will consider once in a while when I have to sneak out!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Europipe Stage 1 install