997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Europipe Stage 1 install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:20 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Just got my EP1 installed today, off came the Cargraphic Export version. I decided to remove the Cargraphic once it started tripping post cat CEL's.

As far as sound goes the Cargraphic was louder buy a decent margin, the EP1 is quiet however it makes itself well heard at full throttle. Subdued at 70 mph cruise, no drone, but throaty at full throttle is quite an achievment and this exhaust should suit the vast majority of Turbo owners. I wish it was a wee bit louder (my turbo is not a daily driver), the EP2 is probably perfect for those who dont mind it louder.

During startup its loud, but on par with the Cargraphic, its common and a requirement to get the cats heated up quickly.

Packaging was fantastic, this exhaust will travel half way around the world and show up just fine. The box alone probably cost $50 or more.

Now on to the good stuff, performance. There is a noticeable difference in how quickly the boost comes on with the EP1 vs. the Cargraphic. The turbo whistle is also considerably louder, music to my ears. With the Cargraphic and EVOMSit flash there would be a 50/50 chance you would hit overboost at lower rpms (you had to be very quick with the throttle stabs) however with the EP1 and their 100 cpi cats the turbos spool up faster and it hit overboost every time I tried it. I thought this was a very interesting difference between the two. I dont think peak power is any different but the boost hits harder, earlier with the EP1.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:20 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Note however that when the car is cold, it does sound close to the video. Loud and raspy. It lasts a few minutes, until things get warmed up, so I guess its just long enough to wake the neighbors! Sometimes it makes me wonder if I would have liked it as loud all the time. That sound is also very intoxicating.
--------
You can stop this cold start raspy/loud problem, by turning off the engine after starting, waiting a few seconds, then restart. The fast idle and tank-like sound disappear. This way you can quietly leave garage and driveway.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:32 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnww
You can stop this cold start raspy/loud problem, by turning off the engine after starting, waiting a few seconds, then restart. The fast idle and tank-like sound disappear. This way you can quietly leave garage and driveway.
When you start your car from cold, you are activating the cold start emissions reduction system. During the first few minutes of startup, your spark is retarded, the idle speed is increased, and engine parameters are altered to assist with the catalyst's warm up time. When you turn the engine off and then restart immediately, you are circumventing the heat up cycle for the cats, and bypassing diagnostic checks.

The fuel system and other diagnostics are finished only after a proper catalyst warm up is performed, after which errors are detected.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...8&d=1308284571

Old 06-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Former Vendor
Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gmoney
Just got my EP1 installed today, off came the Cargraphic Export version. I decided to remove the Cargraphic once it started tripping post cat CEL's.

As far as sound goes the Cargraphic was louder buy a decent margin, the EP1 is quiet however it makes itself well heard at full throttle. Subdued at 70 mph cruise, no drone, but throaty at full throttle is quite an achievment and this exhaust should suit the vast majority of Turbo owners. I wish it was a wee bit louder (my turbo is not a daily driver), the EP2 is probably perfect for those who dont mind it louder.

During startup its loud, but on par with the Cargraphic, its common and a requirement to get the cats heated up quickly.

Packaging was fantastic, this exhaust will travel half way around the world and show up just fine. The box alone probably cost $50 or more.

Now on to the good stuff, performance. There is a noticeable difference in how quickly the boost comes on with the EP1 vs. the Cargraphic. The turbo whistle is also considerably louder, music to my ears. With the Cargraphic and EVOMSit flash there would be a 50/50 chance you would hit overboost at lower rpms (you had to be very quick with the throttle stabs) however with the EP1 and their 100 cpi cats the turbos spool up faster and it hit overboost every time I tried it. I thought this was a very interesting difference between the two. I dont think peak power is any different but the boost hits harder, earlier with the EP1.
gmoney,

Here is the EUROPIPE installed on your 997 Turbo. The EP system is an absolute work of art and the fit and finish is excellent and of the highest quality. Much respect to Stef and Herman. Enjoy the new system gmoney, was good to see you. -B

Old 06-24-2011, 10:26 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
awesome pics!

Old 06-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Former Vendor
stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !
Nice to hear that you enjoy the new exhaust. The turbo whistle becomes more prominent as the boost pressure increases. Driving uphill in a low gear at 2000-3000 rpm is a feast for your ears.
As soon as you release the throttle the exhaust will bark. This barking is much more noticeable on the outside though. So let someone else drive your car so that you'll know how it sounds on the outside.

Cheers from Belgium!

Last edited by stef@europipe; 07-04-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Former Vendor
stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !
Found this tank-like sound can be avoided by turning off the engine for a second before restarting. This slows the engine speed down as well as aborts extra rich gas to air mix causing this tone change. As I remember back, the stock system too sounded a bit louder and different on startup but not so bad.[/QUOTE]

I assume only woman and neighbours don't like a tank-like sound right?

Hope these interrupted cold starts won't cause backfires...

Old 06-24-2011, 08:46 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by stef@europipe
Found this tank-like sound can be avoided by turning off the engine for a second before restarting. This slows the engine speed down as well as aborts extra rich gas to air mix causing this tone change. As I remember back, the stock system too sounded a bit louder and different on startup but not so bad.
I assume only woman and neighbours don't like a tank-like sound right?

Hope these interrupted cold starts won't cause backfires...[/quote]
------
Never thought any harm could come from interrupting cold starts....never get backfiring, but do drive the turbo slow for awhile thru neighborhood. Harm or not, my turbo gets started twice. Hey, I like your EP1 performance/sound on the road. Gives a sound the 997.1 seriously needs, and all this with no flashing engine light! But the cold start in a partially closed garage is even real rough to me. However I keep windows up until the second start.

Last edited by johnww; 06-24-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:45 AM
mat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to behold
Well, I find myself enjoying very much the cold start ups after fitted EP1.

In fact I look forward to it every morning!!!

Old 06-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by RSSbryan
gmoney,

Here is the EUROPIPE installed on your 997 Turbo. The EP system is an absolute work of art and the fit and finish is excellent and of the highest quality. Much respect to Stef and Herman. Enjoy the new system gmoney, was good to see you. -B
These are really nice pictures Bryan and thanks for the compliments.
The respect is mutual!

Cheers from Belgium

Old 07-03-2011, 12:22 PM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
Great choice
Welcome to the Europipe club

Old 07-03-2011, 01:55 PM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
EP2 cold starts FTW ...

Old 07-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Former Vendor
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gmoney

There is a noticeable difference in how quickly the boost comes on with the EP1 vs. the Cargraphic. The turbo whistle is also considerably louder, music to my ears. With the Cargraphic and EVOMSit flash there would be a 50/50 chance you would hit overboost at lower rpms (you had to be very quick with the throttle stabs) however with the EP1 and their 100 cpi cats the turbos spool up faster and it hit overboost every time I tried it. I thought this was a very interesting difference between the two. I dont think peak power is any different but the boost hits harder, earlier with the EP1.
The boost comes on more quickly because of the lower backpressure of your new Europipe exhaust. More boost = more tq/hp at low rpm and midrange = quicker acceleration

The maximum backpressure on your previous Cargraphic exhaust is 0.29 Bar/4.2 psi, with the EP1 the maximum backpressure is 0.18 Bar/2.6 psi

Old 07-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by stef@europipe
The boost comes on more quickly because of the lower backpressure of your new Europipe exhaust. More boost = more tq/hp at low rpm and midrange = quicker acceleration

The maximum backpressure on your previous Cargraphic exhaust is 0.29 Bar/4.2 psi, with the EP1 the maximum backpressure is 0.18 Bar/2.6 psi
Stef....Got a compliment from an outside store employee where I have lunch often. He wanted to compliment me on the new sound of my turbo(now EP1). He says he can hear it as I leave and as I shift up and down for maybe a mile thru the neighborhood after I leave the store, but says it is a "good" sound and wondered how/why he had missed it before. Mentioned to him EP1 install. Still enjoy the enhanced acceleration, decreased turbo-lag, great rumble-sound and no dash lights. Thought maybe some better gas mileage might jump out, but forget that with my constant use of the new enhanced acceleration with accompanying badly-needed new improved Porsche turbo sound.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:42 PM
airmitch is a name known to allairmitch is a name known to allairmitch is a name known to allairmitch is a name known to allairmitch is a name known to allairmitch is a name known to all
I've had my EP exhaust on for about 4 months now. I enjoy it more every time I drive the TTS. I did the install myself, and can't say enough about the excellent fit and finish, and about the outstanding support from Stef.

The only down side- the Belgian chocolates are gone and those damned things are addictve.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Europipe Stage 1 install