997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Europipe Stage 1 install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 01:36 PM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
Europipe Stage 1 install

Installed my new to me europipe 3 days ago, and have been to busy driving to write about it!! In a nutshell, what a spectacular transformation!

But here it goes, from the beginning:

When I got my car last summer, the first thing I noticed and had also read about it, is that the exhaust note of the turbo left a lot to be desired. And when I heard it first hand, I couldnt agree more. My previous 997 C4S had the factory sport exhaust, and I ended driving around with the unplug mod, which basically left the sport exhaust on all the time (just unplug little orange plugin engine compartment and the flaps stay open all the time). I recall that sound fondly! The NA engine sounds great!

So after reading around a lot, and listening to crappy videos with exhaust notes, I decided that as build quality, and sound characteristics, as well as location of manufacture (for customs reasons) Europipe was my manufacturer of choice. But being in Europe means paying a hefty VAT charge, which radically changes the price of the system by a nice +23%, so I decided to look for a used system.

In my search I came across a used stage 2 here in Greece (thank you madsex) and another one in the UK on ebay. So I called Stef at europipe for an opinion and more info. Speaking to him I realized that what I was really after was a Stage 1. He said that as people were trading up to the 997.2, some stage 1 used systems were bound to come to the market. That was back in September or so I think...

Well at the beginning of December, I got an email form Stef saying that one of his clients in Belgium was replacing a TT with a GT3 and he was taking out the Stage 1 from his TT before trading it in. We sent me pictures, cleaned the exhaust (understatement of the year: made it look like NEW) and we struck a deal with the seller. I paid Stef for his installation kit, and shipping, and my exhaust was in the mail like the last gift that Santa was going to deliver!

Took it to the shop for installation this week, and stayed for the few hours it took them to install it. I have the necessary pics, but havent downloaded them - I think they add little value, we have all seen countless exhaust install pics. But the driving experience is worth describing:

First start after the install, and the engine is cold again. And you do recall that even factory exhaust sounds loud when the car is cold. If you are parking in an enclosed garage, that morning startup is an experience. Growl? Howl? LOUD! Gargling! You think you are in a race car. And wake up the neighbors... Super! However, thankfully (I am not looking for a head turner) it quiets down after a few mins. Overall, the exhaust tone just got 2 octaves deeper, with a lot more base. That is why the tiny computer speakers (or even the cam mics to be honest) cant capture it on the vids we have seen! You need a subwoofer to hear that low.
Everyone says you can hear the turbo's more. Thats an understatement as well! 2000-3000 rpm is my favorite range for in town driving right now. That turbo sound spooling is so addictive!
Kickdowns are much smother as well. At ridiculous speeds (which I will not quantify) the kicdown from 5th to 4th is almost immediate, all it takes is small pedal movement. Of course at those ridiculous speeds, the car is moving too fast for the sound of the exhaust to make a difference, but judging from tunnel driving, the car sounds great to those who are being passed! In my stint yesterday I was in a tunnel with a 458 Italia (so much for crisis ridden Greece) as we both dropped to third and accelerated. I cannot say that the sound from my car covered the howl of the Ferrari in a tunnel, but both where clearly audible and distinguishable, as their pitch is so different.

Overall, during in town driving, the car sounds throatier. The throttle response is more imminent, and the car feels stronger. A quick start at a traffic light feels like the car is faster, and it sounds so much better, without it being a head turner which is exactly what I wanted in the first place. Shifting is smoother, and dare I say quicker?

I am 100% pleased with my choice and I absolutely need to thank Stef, who not only guided me a few months ago but also sourced an exhaust for me. Dealing with him was an absolute pleasure, and the exhaust I received, although with 10,000 kms was like new. From screw heads which seemed new, to all hardware and straps on the exhaust was polished to perfection. Packaging was amazing, seemed like a custom made heavy duty cardboard enclosure.

I am now convinced that Santa does exist. It doesnt matter that I paid for my present, santa made it appear just in time for the New Year. So at least someone thinks I was nice last year!!

Pics and vid to follow soon. I am traveling to Doha this week, (Nasser is your ride ready??) so more on Friday.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:02 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Great write up and review dianic!!. Very wise choice on the ep1. Enjoy in good health

Ps did Costas sell his grey tt with the ep2?

Old 01-17-2011, 02:16 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Congrats Nick. Excellent choice and Stef, in my opinion, has got to be one of the most upstanding guys I have had the pleasure to deal with.

Your Porsche deserves the EP treatment!

Old 01-17-2011, 02:38 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by k_ddsl

Your Porsche deserves the EP treatment!
Well thats what i would have thought Karim but for all of that it seems like quite a few 997tt owners are now wising up to the fact that the EP is the better if not THE best system out there for the 997tt, period. Its certainly one of the best all round value for money mods you can stick on your tt as it actually does something other than sound good...and, actually looks like it belongs on the car as well....something which cant be said for the greater majority of others.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:56 AM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
I just put an EP2 in my 997.1tt. Do it once ... and do it right. Sounds great and seems to be getting better the more I drive it.

great write up.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:31 AM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21

Ps did Costas sell his grey tt with the ep2?
Hmmm not sure... He just bought that one a few months ago!
Will give him a call when I am back to check...

Old 01-18-2011, 02:25 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by dianic
Hmmm not sure... He just bought that one a few months ago!
Will give him a call when I am back to check...
Just wondering as you mentioned he was elling an EP2 and, that was fitted on his latest car.....unless he has another ep2 laying about he wants to quit.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:47 AM
Oh no, you misunderstood. He offered it to me before he installed it on his car. We bought our cars within a week of each other, from the same dealer.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:51 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by dianic
Oh no, you misunderstood. He offered it to me before he installed it on his car. We bought our cars within a week of each other, from the same dealer.
OK. Now i understand. It seemed odd that he would sell his EP2 if he had it on his new car so you got me thinking what was he going to replace it with.
Anyway all clear now. Thanks.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:27 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Well thats what i would have thought Karim but for all of that it seems like quite a few 997tt owners are now wising up to the fact that the EP is the better if not THE best system out there for the 997tt, period. Its certainly one of the best all round value for money mods you can stick on your tt as it actually does something other than sound good...and, actually looks like it belongs on the car as well....something which cant be said for the greater majority of others.
ditto paul to everything you said, did you install the IC yet .

Old 01-19-2011, 07:41 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by cgng30
ditto paul to everything you said, did you install the IC yet .
You are cheeky ronnie. Hey when is your tune happening?? and no...haven't done my coolers yet.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:31 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
You are cheeky ronnie. Hey when is your tune happening?? and no...haven't done my coolers yet.
now thats a word i havent heard for a while. my baby is in hibernation for the winter, so i will be getting the tune in spring, right after i change my brake fluid...

Old 03-05-2011, 04:55 PM
finally, the gratuitous shots of the install... fresh off the camera

The tool kit that europipe sends out with the exhausts

Do you believe this is a used exhaust with 10k kms on it? Thanks for making it like new again Stef.

nekkid bum

new in place

and tips

and the first crank after install...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx6vGD2vEC0

Old 03-06-2011, 03:53 AM
Banned
So did you just fit it?

Old 03-06-2011, 05:37 AM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
best choice !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Europipe Stage 1 install