997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Bilstein saga continiue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 05:22 PM
slawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
With gmg's, mine is at 26.2 front/26.75 rear. A 20mm drop. Also aftermarket wheels with a different offset.
With Bilsteins I have 26 in front and 26.75 rear

Old 04-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by slawek
Speed21 you also need to take in to the account my aftermarket wheels HRE.Comp. there off- set is wider then stock (don't remember exactly how much ) and this has an impact on the camber.
I don't believe that GMG and Eibach springs have the same drop My car after installation of the springs (measured from the ground to the top of the fenders) was 25.5 " in front and 26.25" in rear, that is more then one inch drop from my stock F- 27 and R-27.25. I actually mesured the car before installation.
Thanks and noted on the AM rims Slawek. Although from what i recall HRE's offset changes are minimal and are mainly to accomodate for changes in rim widths. Correct me if im wrong here. Btw do you know your rim widths and offsets?

With gmg's, mine is at 26.2 front/26.75 rear. A 20mm drop. Also aftermarket wheels with a different offset.
OK Thanks Chris. Im interested why you actually went for tarretts and cup arms if you were able to achieve that much neg without them. Also ,how are they set? All adjustment from top? Or do the arms share with some shims? You may know i currently have 997 cup arms on with shims (very little) so im interested to find out all the facts on the diff seal vulnerabilities when a car is lowered and so on. When P did my last alignment they reset the shims and the tower positions and assured me everything is perfectly fine with the diff but after hearing Slawek and GT TT's account i really want to find all the facts just to be sure. Im doing another alignment soon as well. Also what rims are you running? Widths, offsets too f you have them.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:38 PM
slawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond repute
The wheels are 19" HRE Competition C20 three piece they were made specifically for my car front 19/8.5 rears 19/11.5 ,don't know the off- set(there are no numbers on wheels) but after installation the difference was very noticeable. On attached pictures car had stock suspension

Attached Images   
Old 04-24-2011, 04:23 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
The wheels are 19" HRE Competition C20 three piece they were made specifically for my car front 19/8.5 rears 19/11.5 ,don't know the off- set(there are no numbers on wheels) but after installation the difference was very noticeable. On attached pictures car had stock suspension
No worries Slawek. Offset doesn't affect camber settings anyway but i was curious what your rims had. Your set up and ride height look good though going by the pics. Looks close to stock ride height. Rear 3/4 shot is a good one.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:35 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
No shims, but I have the adjustability should I need it. I may move to some motons soon anyway. 1.9 was the max, just from the top, problem is that the alignment is constantly shifted with DD street driving, bc it's maxed out. The LCAs allow one to use both the top and bottom for alignment adjustments, neither at it's max. I think a good max for the stock setup with springs would be -1.5-1.7 and -1.0 without springs.
My rims are champion rg5s with sport cups.
I recently drove a car with motons, difference was amazing, waaaaaaay better than bilstens, or my fav gmg spring arrangement.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:01 AM
Banned
No shims, but I have the adjustability should I need it. I may move to some motons soon anyway. 1.9 was the max, just from the top, problem is that the alignment is constantly shifted with DD street driving, bc it's maxed out. The LCAs allow one to use both the top and bottom for alignment adjustments, neither at it's max. I think a good max for the stock setup with springs would be -1.5-1.7 and -1.0 without springs.
My rims are champion rg5s with sport cups.
I recently drove a car with motons, difference was amazing, waaaaaaay better than bilstens, or my fav gmg spring arrangement.
So why the 996 arms then? Did they say how the length of those compares with the stock arms? Anyway, maybe as youve got the arms on you should consider sharing between top and bottom. The setting really shouldn't be changing from movement unless there is a weakness in the design of the top mounts.. Maybe these tarretts don't hold on as well as the oem gt3 top mounts? For 1.9 neg and being able to get 1 deg neg on top without the tarretts you really only needed to find an extra .9 on the bottom. Thats really not much at all. On the motons, how do they ride? If stock ride is rated say 10 where would you place the motons for street DD use? I assume the motons don't have the dual setting?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Former Vendor
HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !
Every HRE wheel theoretically could be differently spec'd.

Our recommended configuration usually are flush with the fenders and tend to be more aggressive than the OEM fitment. But it all depends on our customers requests.

If you want to find out, the serial number information is on the backpad. You will need to pull the wheel off to see the numbers.

PM me if you have any questions about your particular wheel.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:30 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
The 996 LCAs are a lot less expensive than the 997 parts. They are nearly identical, that's why most shops use the 996 parts at this time.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:59 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
bingo, they are waaaay cheaper. the taret part is an adapter on the bottom so you can use stock trailing arms.
I got -1 with all stock configuration . Anything more needed springs. I plan to let the top/bottom share the load.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:55 PM
Guys, here are pictures of car after Bilstein installed

Attached Images    
Old 04-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
The 996 LCAs are a lot less expensive than the 997 parts. They are nearly identical, that's why most shops use the 996 parts at this time.
I transferred mine off my last S so i only paid the once plus if you buy them off P Motor Sports they are way cheaper than buying the same 997gt3 ones off P parts. Much cheaper pricing structure! Im pretty sure i only paid @ 800 for the pair over here and i was told they are the same thing.
bingo, they are waaaay cheaper. the taret part is an adapter on the bottom so you can use stock trailing arms.
I got -1 with all stock configuration . Anything more needed springs. I plan to let the top/bottom share the load.
So the taret doesn't go on the top of the strut?
Guys, here are pictures of car after Bilstein installed
Looks nice. An avatar change perhaps?