997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

AEM water/methanol kit FAIL!! please read

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 12:19 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ysfg35
why you did not try DevilsOwn meth systems ??

EPL is a vendor here and they guarantee their product, plus i didn't found any negative comments about aquamist, only possitive

Old 01-29-2011, 11:32 AM
rayman89 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by milou
As some of you here already know for some time now i'm using the AEM water/methanol injection kit. I was pretty amazed how good the metyhanol is, actually it acts as if the car was running on racefuel.

I just want to make clear that if the kit was used as recommended from the manufacturer it would not fail.
The problem was caused ONLY because i did not used the kit as recommended, i used straight methanol in stead of using 50/50 water meth mixture. I believe this was the only reason that caused the system to fail.

I write this for those who might did the same as i did to be aware of possible leaks which might become very very dangerous.

In my case i was lucky enouph to see this early.

Now i need to find a straight Methanol kit Any thoughts?
Hi, I'm completely new to this 'running your car on methanol', we don't deal with it here in england but i am very curious about it, are you running the car completely on methanol? i've heard many vette drivers have it like a aid in straight line speed instead of no5 but can a road car be run on methanol? if so, how does it compare to e85? can't imagine it being very accessable?
Cheers

Rayman

Old 01-29-2011, 12:54 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rayman89
Hi, I'm completely new to this 'running your car on methanol', we don't deal with it here in england but i am very curious about it, are you running the car completely on methanol? i've heard many vette drivers have it like a aid in straight line speed instead of no5 but can a road car be run on methanol? if so, how does it compare to e85? can't imagine it being very accessable?
Cheers

Rayman

I use Methanol as an octane booster. My car runs on pump 100oct and 1 nozzle (on Y pipe) sprays methanol when set boost is achieved and maxes at set max boost again.
This is an alternative to racefuel.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:02 PM
GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by milou
Aquamist on the way
Who is going to do your install, if you don't mind me asking? I'm leaning on the Aquamist HSf-3.

Thanks

Old 01-29-2011, 02:20 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
Tony pls post a thread about the aqua must kit am very interested and pm me the hsf6 price thanks

Old 01-29-2011, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by TwnTurboJ
Who is going to do your install, if you don't mind me asking? I'm leaning on the Aquamist HSf-3.

Thanks
I'll install it myself at my garage, hopefully. I hope the old AEM methanol line will be the same as the Aquamist so i don't have to pass another line from front to back. That is the difficult part. All other parts should be plug and play

Old 01-30-2011, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by yalmutawa
Tony pls post a thread about the aqua must kit am very interested and pm me the hsf6 price thanks

Here is a thread by EPL regarding Aquamist HSF3

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...n-install.html

Old 01-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Please use extreme caution when handling Methanol.
Methanol intoxication can cause severe visual dysfunction (blindness) and death. Indeed, small amounts of ingested methanol fumes are sufficient to produce acute destruction of parts of the central nervous system leading to permanent neurological dysfunction and irreversible blindness.

In addition, methanol is highly flammable and a methanol fire is almost invisible in bright light.

Mixing water with the methanol reduces all of these dangers.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:29 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
As with any flammable solvents, handle under proper safety conditions but the statement below is a gross exaggeration. Ingesting a small amount of methanol fumes will not lead to permanent neurological dysfunction for a normal healthy individual otherwise there would a lot of blind dysfunctional people walking around.

Originally Posted by Tech1_Mike
Indeed, small amounts of ingested methanol fumes are sufficient to produce acute destruction of parts of the central nervous system leading to permanent neurological dysfunction and irreversible blindness.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Ingesting as little as 10cc of methanol, either orally or through the skin, will cause permanent blindness.
This is no ordinary solvent and should be handled with extreme caution

Old 01-30-2011, 01:58 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
That may be but 10 cc of methanol is not going to get through your skin unless you're bathing in it (besides it's a good idea to wear proper gloves). Methanol toxicity is from the days when bootleggers made contaminated ethanol with methanol and yes it will cause blindness. But to state that inhaling a small amound of methanol fumes will give you permanent neurological dysfunction is simply not true.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Do as you wish.
My point is that methanol is extremely toxic and dangerous. My assumption, perhaps misguided, is that the forum members may want to know this.

Last edited by Tech1_Mike; 01-30-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Your assumption is not misguided but some of your statements were. Sorry if you don't like being corrected. There is far greater risk of a physical danger (fire) than health hazard when pouring methanol into a tank from a 5 gallon can.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:21 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
TTDude we all know the fire hazard but my self i was touching the methanol every time i fill my tank and dont know about these risks
Mike its really important to mention what you mentioned i've met a guy 3 days ago in bahrain international circuit he was warning me and mentioned exactly what you mentioned i was about to post the same warnings and hazards

Meth safety requirements this will help :

http://www.vpracing.com.au/MSD/M1NEW.pdf

Old 01-30-2011, 03:57 PM
You're absolutely right yalmultawa, better to be safe than sorry and always wear protective gloves when dealing with ALL solvents, not just methanol. For comparison, attached is the msds for ms109 which contains MTBE. Exposure limits are even more stringent.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ms109 MSDS.pdf (46.0 KB, 84 views)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AEM water/methanol kit FAIL!! please read