997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

AEM water/methanol kit FAIL!! please read

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
My concern about Methanol is the insidious way that it injures the body:
Like ethylene glycol, methanol is relatively non-toxic; however, it is metabolized by the body into HIGHLY toxic compounds that are responsible for the acute acidosis and blindness characteristic of methanol poisoning.
This metabolism occurs somewhat slowly over a 12 to 24 hour period. Many hospitals have trouble diagnosing the problem until permanent damage has occurred to the retina.
Death and blindness have occurred in cases of 6cc (about a teaspoon) of ingestion or absorption (methanol is quickly absorbed through the skin) in a normal sized adult.

So, by the time you even realize that you have been injured by the chemical, (and even forgotten about the exposure) you could be on your way to permanent blindness and other severe health consequences.

As TTDude wisely stated, the use of liquid-proof gloves in a well-ventilated area are the prevention methods that work.

Sorry to make such a big deal about this, but CH<sub>3</sub>OH is a VERY dangerous liquid that is often treated nonchalantly by those unaware of the danger.

But it is a wonderful, high-octane fuel (114-116).

Mike

Last edited by Tech1_Mike; 01-30-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Former Vendor
SpoolnV8 is infamous around these parts
alkycontrol modify's the pumps to handle 100% meth. Ran it in my old car for over a year with no issues. The Snow kits pump went bad in under 6 months with straight meth.

Luckily in the 997 if you run out of Meth the ECU will detect the lower octane and adjust... rite?

Old 01-31-2011, 04:38 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tech1_Mike
My concern about Methanol is the insidious way that it injures the body:
Like ethylene glycol, methanol is relatively non-toxic; however, it is metabolized by the body into HIGHLY toxic compounds that are responsible for the acute acidosis and blindness characteristic of methanol poisoning.
This metabolism occurs somewhat slowly over a 12 to 24 hour period. Many hospitals have trouble diagnosing the problem until permanent damage has occurred to the retina.
Death and blindness have occurred in cases of 6cc (about a teaspoon) of ingestion or absorption (methanol is quickly absorbed through the skin) in a normal sized adult.

So, by the time you even realize that you have been injured by the chemical, (and even forgotten about the exposure) you could be on your way to permanent blindness and other severe health consequences.

As TTDude wisely stated, the use of liquid-proof gloves in a well-ventilated area are the prevention methods that work.

Sorry to make such a big deal about this, but CH<sub>3</sub>OH is a VERY dangerous liquid that is often treated nonchalantly by those unaware of the danger.

But it is a wonderful, high-octane fuel (114-116).

Mike
Mike,

over a week age i had my hands full of Methanol for about 15-20mins. I was collecting it from my cars front with a cloth. It's been over a week now and i didn't had any problem so far. I spit it on my hands a lot of times before also

Old 01-31-2011, 09:29 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by milou
I spit it on my hands a lot of times before also
LOL. Next time wear some disposable surgical gloves, latex ones will work or nitrile if you're allergic to latex. It will also help prevent drying out your skin so you don't have to spit on them.
Also don't use methanol near anything electrical that could cause a spark.

Last edited by TTdude; 01-31-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:46 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
LOL ,i pour it on my hands many times by mistake as well

spit = cracheur
regards

Old 01-31-2011, 11:07 AM
valex is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Racin Jason
AN interesting water injection bit from my friends site:

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/waterinjection.html
just for those 'work people' you may want to note that the link is not work safe.. NWS!

Who would have thought, but scroll down, you'll see it, haha.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:06 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry i wanted to say pour not spit

Old 01-31-2011, 02:40 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by milou
Sorry i wanted to say pour not spit
A real man would spit!

Old 02-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Blackout713 is infamous around these parts
Ahh brings back memories... my aem methonal nozzle got.stuck or.something only after 2k miles on my porsche. Unfortunately cost me my block