997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Yet another 911 variant - 911 Black Edition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 04:27 AM
morecarl is infamous around these parts
Yet another 911 variant - 911 Black Edition

911 Black Edition

Old 01-25-2011, 05:50 AM
bosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to behold
Just what we need...must be alot of spare parts laying around the factory

Old 01-25-2011, 06:28 AM
beepbeep is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bosco42
Just what we need...must be alot of spare parts laying around the factory
No, just lots of spare time in the marketing department. After a week of shooting paper clips at one another, they needed to come up with something. God forbid it should be worthwhile. See Dilbert on marketing.
http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2010-10-20/
Cheers

Old 01-26-2011, 01:01 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow that's so stupid, I can't muster the correct words to describe it. So basically it's black which is a factory available color anyway, next black interior, also factory available. So basically you're going to pay extra to have black instrument dials, 911 logo on the rear and "Black Edition" door sills. Welp, now that there is just Jeeenyus :P

This has to be the dumbest "Special Edition" car Porsche has ever come out with. At least only 1,911 people will fall for it.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:29 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
does nothing "special" for me

Old 01-26-2011, 07:34 AM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
They're going after the GTR "Black Edition" and trying to use up 997 parts. Pretty stupid... 911 sales are really quite soft these days and have been for a while.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:47 AM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
I wonder what colors you can get it in .....

Old 01-26-2011, 12:07 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xseal
I wonder what colors you can get it in .....
Well if it's anything like the Mercedes CLK 63 Black Edition, Silver Yeah I never quite understood that one either lol

Old 01-26-2011, 01:55 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Appreciate the link to dilbert, just killed some time.

No comment on yet another 911 variant that serves no real purpose.

Originally Posted by beepbeep
No, just lots of spare time in the marketing department. After a week of shooting paper clips at one another, they needed to come up with something. God forbid it should be worthwhile. See Dilbert on marketing.
http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2010-10-20/
Cheers

Old 01-29-2011, 04:11 PM
ClutchMan is infamous around these parts
Stating the obvious ... One more kick at the can before the 991 ...

Last edited by ClutchMan; 01-29-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
Boy they must have a lot of extra 997 parts. They're still allocating Turbo "S"'s as we speak. My dealer just got another one for build today. I thought that was over months ago...

Old 01-29-2011, 07:53 PM
dma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond repute
In the history of specials, this is one nobody will remember. Speedster, GTS, yes, this, not so much.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:14 AM
Originally Posted by dma550
In the history of specials, this is one nobody will remember. Speedster, GTS, yes, this, not so much.
Totally agree. Homologation cars will always truly be special such as the original 911R, Carrera RS/RSR, 993 GT2 or the 996 GT3/RS and extremely collectible. Special cars just to make something different can be cool like the ones you just pointed out like the 911/964 Speedsters, the GTS (debateable), heck I can even understand "milestone" type specials such as the 25th anniversary 911SC's or the Millennium Edition 996 even though it was really nothing then a normal 996 just loaded with options and with 911 on the decklid rather than Carrera 2/4. But This isn't Porsche's first foray into meaningless specials. Can anyone remember the Weissach Edition 911? Nice looking car and at only 406 produced, definitely exclusive, but what really made it special? Nothing. I'd file this one in the meaningless pile. It certainly is a beautiful car and I'd LOVE to have one, but it's not special, there's not homologation reasoning for it's existence nor is there any uniqueness about it such as the Speedster. It's just a VERY nicely optioned Carrera S in reality, which I'd love to have, I'm not saying it's not a nice car, just not really worthy of Porsche putting a limited production moniker upon it. In all honesty due to the low production numbers relative to other manufactures such as Toyota, almost all of them are "special" cars. I mean, i see things in ads all the time like 1979 911 SC For Sale: Ultra Rare (insert color name here). Only 1,461 came from the factory in this gorgeous color that has to be seen in person to be appreciated. Ok now that sounds ultra rare, until you realize there were only approximately 9,000 SC's produced that year in total which is a low number on it's own but doesn't make that particular color rare to 911's of that year. Anyway, I guess I'm rambling, time to go to sleep and for Porsche to only leave Special Editions to cars that truly deserve it. Now a Special Edition Clubsport Twin Turbo Lightweight Cayman RSR to be homologated for a certain class of racing...THAT WOULD DESERVE A SPECIAL EDITION TAG!

Old 01-30-2011, 08:24 AM
keeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by handdoc
does nothing "special" for me
I am kinda suprised to hear that you folks believe that Porsche would actually invest in a project that will not yeild their desired results and that too because they have "lots of 911 parts lying around" I dont know a better way to say this but that is really the dumbest comment I have heard....specially when Porsche works extensively on SAP JIT inventory control and there are almost never spare parts lying around...!

Some people enjoy "blacking out" their car themselves, here Porsche is doing it for you and you dont need to spend time PM-ing vendors on the forums to get their "special pricing" and then spend hours installing it...so if this caters to one's taste why not? I am pretty sure that the 2,000 of these special ones available will be gone in no time, just like the new frozen gray M3s, people knocked that model and color on the forums to no end lol ....its like every other luxury car manufacturer trying to attact a customer niche, just because it doesnt work for your taste you can knock Porsche for putting it out there...and personally I like it .....

Last edited by keeperofbeasts; 01-30-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:08 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
It's nothing special, just a black on black S model??? At least the 40th had some performance enhancements, but it didn't help, many went unsold to auction...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Yet another 911 variant - 911 Black Edition