997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Champion Motorsport Gen 2.5 Intercoolers Released

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by K24F
The GT2RS runs the same parts than the 997.2TT (which I thought running 1 bar, I will check...) and it runs 1.6Bar, do you think its IC's are designed for low boost?

Check your information. The stock .2 turbo makes .7bar of boost stock.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:57 PM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Check your information. The stock .2 turbo makes .7bar of boost stock.
Ok, why not for the .2 turbo...
But isn't the GT2RS running 1.6Bar with the same Ics?

Old 01-28-2011, 03:00 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
As mentioned previously Skandalis is running ~1.6 bar, actual boost, not requested.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by K24F
Ok, why not for the .2 turbo...
But isn't the GT2RS running 1.6Bar with the same Ics?
I'm not sure about the GT2RS. We haven't seen the car yet so we haven't had an opportunity to explore what hardware it comes with. Our first GT2RS is scheduled for delivery in 2 weeks, so you can bet that we'll do some research as soon as it arrives.

Originally Posted by TTdude
As mentioned previously Skandalis is running ~1.6 bar, actual boost, not requested.
That seems strange, because in his datalog the boost figure is strangely rounded off. Typically actual boost reading will be a number like 1239, 1987, 2126....not a nice round number like 1960, 2350, 2390....etc. I have never seen such perfectly rounded ACTUAL boost figures, which is why I questioned his data. I can't speak for the validity or accuracy of his data because I'm not sure how it was collected, and because of the reason above. It may very well be true. And I stated all along, the .2 coolers ARE great in terms of cooling efficiency.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:10 PM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
gt2 rs use same.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:18 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
That seems strange, because in his datalog the boost figure is strangely rounded off. Typically actual boost reading will be a number like 1239, 1987, 2126....not a nice round number like 1960, 2350, 2390....etc. I have never seen such perfectly rounded ACTUAL boost figures, which is why I questioned his data.
Again, not true. Here's a datalog of my boost.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:49 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Again, not true. Here's a datalog of my boost.
I had not noticed you were running 1.5 bar...

Race gas?

Old 01-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by MBailey
I had not noticed you were running 1.5 bar...

Race gas?
Both race and 93 octane tunes run 1.5 bar but with different timing. Have not had any issues.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
As I mentioned in my original post, we are in the process of testing right now. We only anticipate a very slight increase in performance over our original Gen2 design, which can be viewed at the video link at the bottom of my post.

Testing is taking place as we speak.
Whilst they do appear "nice" it seems rather odd that you would even think of putting these to the market prior to testing and at the very least pitching the performance up against the likes of the .2tt coolers especially given skands recent and controversial intercooler performance thread. I mean it was a given you were going to get some questions there.

Skands car has one of the fastest 60-130 times on record. It doesn't matter if the vtg is stock or upgraded because his system is obviously making outstanding power. Actually, with stock vtg's his compressor map should be less efficient than with your upgraded vtgs so the ICs would have to be working even harder in his case.

I don't expect you or anyone else to do road tests up to 150 mph. You seem to be missing the entire point. I'm not doubting that you have good ICs. My point is how much better are your ICs compared to the .2 ICs because there is a several thousand dollar difference in price. Until you guys do a head-to-head comparison by whatever testing methods you use, you can't claim that your ICs are superior. You can claim it but you have no proof.
You sure hit the nail right on the head with that one TT!!

Earl did everyone a great favor by establishing a benchmark with the 997.2 ICs in both performance and price. How much better is a $3500 IC over the $1000 OEM, if at all? Under what conditions is it better, etc....While all this nice work is being done, it's the performance that matters. Sorry for the cliche but can't judge a book by its cover.
So very true. Im sure 6 speeders need to get some quality answers and data. Why pay three and a half large for IC's that just look pretty.....and even then they get tucked away out of sight after install.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Alzaabi is infamous around these parts
Thats correct , the GT2RS running 1.6 bar.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by speed21
Whilst they do appear "nice" it seems rather odd that you would even think of putting these to the market prior to testing and at the very least pitching the performance up against the likes of the .2tt coolers especially given skands recent and controversial intercooler performance thread. I mean it was a given you were going to get some questions there.

You sure hit the nail right on the head with that one TT!!

So very true. Im sure 6 speeders need to get some quality answers and data. Why pay three and a half large for IC's that just look pretty.....and even then they get tucked away out of sight after install.

If you read my first post you'll see that they're not new. All we did was change the top tank to a billet tank. We've had these intercoolers on the market for over a year, and provided plenty of testing that you can see if you'll watch the video.

If you're happy with your .2 intercoolers, then great. These are simply not for you. But the 50+ people who ARE running our intercoolers in high horsepower upgraded turbo applications seem to be plenty happy.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:48 PM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute

If you're happy with your .2 intercoolers, then great. These are simply not for you. But the 50+ people who ARE running our intercoolers in high horsepower upgraded turbo applications seem to be plenty happy.
I'm happy for those +50 people, but there is no chance I reach them before seeing serious IAT datas...
The 997.2 are probably not the best, bu they are the LONELY we got the proof of their efficience.

Nothing against you Tom, but the internet tool permits that today: we all share all at once, so, easy for good products (and I hope and think yours are), and hard for BS!

Old 01-29-2011, 05:09 PM
We've had these intercoolers on the market for over a year, and provided plenty of testing that you can see if you'll watch the video.
The video is nicely done although there is a question about the flow data you show and validation of the test method. According to the chart (which I pasted below) it shows the .2ICs as the worst performer and CMS ICs the best @ 2 psi. How relevant is that to the real world since it is pretty well accepted now that the .2ICs are superior to the .1ICs? Wouldn't a flow test at ~23 psi be more appropriate?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:05 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
According to this data, on a car that's flowing 34lb of air per turbo (roughly 700bhp), which is 480cfm, there will be a pressure drop of 4psi (assuming that flow/pressure drop ratio is constant, which roughly is) on the 997.2 IC, that's about 0.3bar. Lets assume another 1 psi loss in the piping to the manifold. With a MAP of 1.5bar, and ambient pressure 0.981bar the turbo will work at 2.89 pressure ratio.
With the CMS core, the loss will be 3.5 PSI, and anything else being equal, this lead to a pressure ratio of 2.80.

Depending on the compressor, this could or could not be an issue IMO. With a 3071R compressor, for example, you slighly move on the map, barely into an efficiency of 0.75 rather than 0.77.
Of course this will cause slightly higher temperature at the compressor discharge, about 164°C (997.2) VS 155°C (CMS), in a 25°C ambient temp.
Supposing an 80% efficiency for both, the IAT will be 52°C (997.2) VS 51°C (CMS).

Now, in this last part could be the "node"...In fact I suspect that the 997.2 IC will not be able to maintain a 80% efficiency at those flow rates (we will find it soon on my car I hope), while the CMS IC could very well be able to match the number, so the difference in IAT's could be higher than that.

Guys correct me if I wrote incorrect things or my clculations are off.

Last edited by emadelta86; 01-29-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:50 PM
I like your analyses Em but I think your pressure drops are too high. Efficient ICs will typically have pressure drops < 1 psi. If you're seeing pressure drops of 3-4 psi then it is time to move to a bigger cooler.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Champion Motorsport Gen 2.5 Intercoolers Released