997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Suspension upgrade recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 08:26 AM
tclayj is infamous around these parts
Suspension upgrade recommendations

I am deciding between Bilstein pss10 or 9 coilovers and KW varient 3. Suggestions ? Also will I need to change out the toe and drop links ?

Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 AM
vpmick is infamous around these partsvpmick is infamous around these parts
I would suggest you call the guys at TPC and discuss your requirements. I have their Stage 3+ suspension upgrade and it has drastically improved the handling of my 997.1 TT. They are good guys and won't steer you wrong. I noticed you have the APR tune ( as I do as well ) and with improved suspension you will be amazed how much better you can lay the power down. Good luck.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tclayj
I am deciding between Bilstein pss10 or 9 coilovers and KW varient 3. Suggestions ? Also will I need to change out the toe and drop links ?
So are you looking to disable your PASM via the PIWIS, or just do not care about having a PASM fault on the dash?

The 10's and 9's are for non-PASM cars. Since your car has PASM, you should focus on the Bilstein B16 Damptronics. Those are PASM compatible and work just like your current setup only with improved spring rates and dampening.

Email me if you want to talk further.
Mike@AWE-Tuning.com

We are a master distributor for both Bilstein and H&R. We also have vast knowledge of the suspension on that car. We will also be straight with you and advise on if you really even need monoball parts such as toe links and upper control arms.

Last edited by Josh/AWE; 02-03-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Z06
Z06 is infamous around these parts
Do a search before you do anything, B16's are an easier install drive, but the KW-3 is a better product which will need to be setup due to the shock adjustment....but you do have some choices.

I have the Cargraphic Bilstein DA Race shocks, they were very easy to get setup because Cargraphic did the work, some went with the Manthey KW-3 you have Manthey show you how to set it up. By setup I mean spring rate and the settings of the shocks..bump and rebound. TPC may very well have something as well.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:11 PM
dr john is infamous around these parts
If this is primarily a street car, stay w/ adjustability it is a great thing to have. TPC does all my suspension work on race and street cars. They can revalve your stock shocks and upgrade the springs for a cost effective option. Once you get to set ups that adjust compression/rebound etc be prepared to spend alot on the hardware and you could also spend alot of time getting the shocks dialed in.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Z06
Z06 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dr john
If this is primarily a street car, stay w/ adjustability it is a great thing to have. TPC does all my suspension work on race and street cars. They can revalve your stock shocks and upgrade the springs for a cost effective option. Once you get to set ups that adjust compression/rebound etc be prepared to spend alot on the hardware and you could also spend alot of time getting the shocks dialed in.

Setting up shocks that are off the shelf is very difficult as you said but if yuo get a tuned..pre tested and dialed in package it's very easy.

My Cargraphic bilsteins DA were a no brainer, it was a matter of slight changes to suit my driving. There is another forum member who has the Manthey KW-3 and he is as happy as can be with them.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
tclayj,

You there?

Old 02-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Skip Bilstein... Read this and be intrigued
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/r...o-p-62140.html

Old 02-05-2011, 11:37 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
A good alignment, R cmpnd tires, stiff springs, adjustable sways and toe links makes a killer reliable setup.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:55 PM
GT-TT is infamous around these partsGT-TT is infamous around these parts
rear toe links, control arms with solid thrust arms, dog bones. In that order of priority. Obviously stock suspension/sways have to be replaced, B16s or any derivative of those is a solid trouble free choice. New Corsa 2s will simply blow your mind in combo with the above.
Have tried all those components 1 by 1 and they simply transform the car. So will lighter wheels for that matter as they can significantly increase the efficiency of your springs and shocks.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Do a search here for CANNGA's writeup on suspension...it's extremely thorough.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Daniel Leung is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by vpmick
I would suggest you call the guys at TPC and discuss your requirements. I have their Stage 3+ suspension upgrade and it has drastically improved the handling of my 997.1 TT. They are good guys and won't steer you wrong. I noticed you have the APR tune ( as I do as well ) and with improved suspension you will be amazed how much better you can lay the power down. Good luck.

Hi,

may I asked you guys that the improvement on the handling after suspension up grade is for regular street driving or track only. do you think the stock suspension is good enough for street driving especially the sport mode make the suspension stiffer ?

Thanks
Daniel

Old 02-06-2011, 07:44 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
If I never went to the track I would leave the stock suspension in place as is.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:48 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Daniel Leung
Hi,

may I asked you guys that the improvement on the handling after suspension up grade is for regular street driving or track only. do you think the stock suspension is good enough for street driving especially the sport mode make the suspension stiffer ?

Thanks
Daniel
I think it depends on how you use your car and what is important to you. Will it be a daily driver? how are the roads near you? A properly set up ("properly" being the key word; many set these cars up, but few really know how to do it right) car with suspension upgrades is not punishing at all - at least not for me.

My car is NOT my DD and i'm not exactly a track junkie. I am much happier with the modded suspension than how it was stock. It's just much more fun to drive.

See if there is someone in your area who would be willing to take you for a ride in their car so you can see it.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Daniel Leung is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by E55AMG
I think it depends on how you use your car and what is important to you. Will it be a daily driver? how are the roads near you? A properly set up ("properly" being the key word; many set these cars up, but few really know how to do it right) car with suspension upgrades is not punishing at all - at least not for me.

My car is NOT my DD and i'm not exactly a track junkie. I am much happier with the modded suspension than how it was stock. It's just much more fun to drive.

See if there is someone in your area who would be willing to take you for a ride in their car so you can see it.
I drove this car to work from North Jersey to Manhattan every day. with the snow tires, I pow through the snow without any problem. road condition has not been that great with all those pot holes. I don't plan to do any track run at all. I always want to get improvement but not sure what is proper. just like the GMG exhaust system that I have put in, I wasn't that happy with it bcuz the droning sound is really annoying. however, you won't notice it until you did it. yes, it will be a great idea if I can ride someone's car who has done the up grade and feel it but not easy to find though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suspension upgrade recommendations