997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

embarrassed moment with my cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:33 AM
986WANG is infamous around these parts
Paul:
There are still a few hardcore car guys in Taiwan and China. A few of my friends actually own race teams and personally participate in the Asia Porsche carrera cup events racing 997 GT3 RS cars every other months. It doesn't get any more hard core than doing competitive racing on the weekend....

Exotic cars are very common in cities such as Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, and Taipei. Believe it or not. China is the second largest market for Ferraris and Lambos for the past three years and 30% of these exotic cars are bought by women (based on the latest Ferrari marketing research). Went to shop for a Ferrari 458 Italia with my friends a few weeks ago only to find out the 458 is sold out for the next 4 years and the authorized ferrari dealer is no longer accepting new orders in Taipei until further notice.

Lack of quality race track and traffic congestion is the reason why we can't enjoy our sports cars' performance envelope. I take my Lotus and Porsche to the mountain roads on the weekend only to share the somewhat congested twisty road with guys riding sport motorcycles and road bicycles. Driving on American / Australian highway is truly a luxury. Many exotic sports car owners see cars as an art collection, something that looks beautiful even standing still. There's a lot of money being thrown around in this area. Luxury purchases (fancy homes, fine jewelry, and exotic cars) come naturally during economical boom time. Veyrons, Zondas, Enzos, and Carrera GTs are the it cars of the moment. I guess people buy cars for various reasons. To each his own

Old 02-12-2011, 10:01 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
^^So what you are saying is its poseurs paradise in taipei......style over substance....bling city.....the land of the long lost ****** etc. OMG!! Then if that is truly the case then i would definately sell up the cars and put the coin in the bank....use it to make more money to escape to somewhere else. Catch public transport and smile..
No...YOUR saying that...by making generalizations when you have lived in Taipei. I guess we can't all live in wide open spaces.

Last edited by bbywu; 02-12-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 986WANG
Paul:
There are still a few hardcore car guys in Taiwan and China. A few of my friends actually own race teams and personally participate in the Asia Porsche carrera cup events racing 997 GT3 RS cars every other months. It doesn't get any more hard core than doing competitive racing on the weekend....

Exotic cars are very common in cities such as Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, and Taipei. Believe it or not. China is the second largest market for Ferraris and Lambos for the past three years and 30% of these exotic cars are bought by women (based on the latest Ferrari marketing research). Went to shop for a Ferrari 458 Italia with my friends a few weeks ago only to find out the 458 is sold out for the next 4 years and the authorized ferrari dealer is no longer accepting new orders in Taipei until further notice.

Lack of quality race track and traffic congestion is the reason why we can't enjoy our sports cars' performance envelope. I take my Lotus and Porsche to the mountain roads on the weekend only to share the somewhat congested twisty road with guys riding sport motorcycles and road bicycles. Driving on American / Australian highway is truly a luxury. Many exotic sports car owners see cars as an art collection, something that looks beautiful even standing still. There's a lot of money being thrown around in this area. Luxury purchases (fancy homes, fine jewelry, and exotic cars) come naturally during economical boom time. Veyrons, Zondas, Enzos, and Carrera GTs are the it cars of the moment. I guess people buy cars for various reasons. To each his own
Understand, and didnt mean to offend. Cant say ive ever been one much for the pose as my focal point.....prefer to be able to enjoy the tools rather than just look at them. Own these types of cars just to pose in them....well thats not me. But as you say...each to their own....and i agree....just making my own observation on the facts provided.

And btw, so i guess all of that is what led you to moving to Cali?

Originally Posted by bbywu
No...YOUR saying that...by making generalizations when you have lived in Taipei. I guess we can't all live in wide open spaces.
Thanks for pointing that out Bob....no offense intended. And the wide open spaces? Well sadly to report Sydney is not one of those "wide open spaces". Just another big congested speed camera soaked city which one makes the best out of wherever one can....and as i (try to) do....like anyone else who owns this type of car does.....well i hope so anyway. Altho that doesn't discount the fact there will always be posers who need the attention and constant stroking to survive. Thankfully i don't have an identity crisis But again....each to their own....yes everyone needs different things to keep them going in this crazy world .

Old 02-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by europeankar
Thank you!
Paul, It is Asia, things are pretty different. Oh well. Ummm..
Sorry EPC. Didnt mean to be rude and, by missing your posts.

Anyway the fact that you are constantly having difficulty with the car and continually pose the same question time and time again, asking for advice and hoping to recieve a magic answer to your dilemna is indicative its time for you to sell the car. So bite the bullet....move on.....cash it in. At one point its going to have to go so best sell it whilst its worth something. Given the description of your circumstances the car is clearly not for you so no point continuing to labor over other car alternatives which you say you are unable to presently afford without liquidating both cars. You have clearly stated the benz is more suited to the daily grind with its auto box and you evidently wish to retain the use of private transport. The 997tt will always have insufficient pose value against a backdrop of flashy lambos, ferraris etc whist crawling along in the smog and haze. With the new 991 only a matter of a few months out from official press i would put the TT up for sale right now as the price will only weaken once the new model hits press. Put the money in the bank or better still use it to turn some more dollars and at the end of the year take another look at things. It may well be the case the new 991c2S pdk will be "new enough" to satisfy the immediate pose value and for all you know may be as quick as you'll ever need. If you find thats the case after driving one then sell the benz and buy it. Just my 2 cents....but somethings got to give in your life. You cant keep continually asking the same old question and coming up blank....resorting to heavy drinking. Im sure you know what is best....so just get on with it and do it!

Old 02-12-2011, 10:34 PM
europeankar has a spectacular aura abouteuropeankar has a spectacular aura abouteuropeankar has a spectacular aura about
Thank you paul you have been very thoughtful for me
I am going to sell the tt and follow your route. It comes pretty close of my final decision.
yeah sometimes in life I gotta give and take

Old 02-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Banned
Thank you paul you have been very thoughtful for me
I am going to sell the tt and follow your route. It comes pretty close of my final decision.
yeah sometimes in life I gotta give and take
Glad to hear you've got it all finally sorted .... and yep its so true that sometimes you gotta lose a bit to gain a bit more....spend a bit to make a bit more (although that rule never seems to work with cars ). The only real downside is doing without the P in the interim, but time soon goes... Plus there is always "the 6" to get your P car jollies while you wait for your next one.

Last edited by speed21; 02-12-2011 at 11:52 PM.