997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tire Pressure: How Low Can You Go?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Car-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond repute
Message Removed

Message Removed

Last edited by Car-Narcissist; 07-02-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:26 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
There's no real problem running 29/35 pressures. If the system doesn't give a warning on low pressure you're OK. If you don't have TPMS consider it a minor blessing.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:45 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Are you running stock suspension? With stock pressures its not that bad. Try some nitrogen... that will help a bit plus controls the inside temps better than just air. Give it a go. Many tire shops have it nowadays.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:56 AM
ExactlyCake is infamous around these parts
Nitrogen would help.

Have you considered dropping down a wheel size and getting a thicker tire? Seems like your roads would warrant that type of peice of mind...

Old 02-12-2011, 07:09 AM
NJR911 is infamous around these parts
I think those tire pressures are fine, but I am wondering about the rear rattle maybe a rear quarter window issue. I remember there being some problems with something loose in that area? A spot weld of something?

Old 02-12-2011, 09:19 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Car-Narcissist
I got my car back from a service today and I noticed they brought the tire pressure up to the psi spec'd on the door. The drive home was much more rough than ever before and the car now rattles quite a bit. It seems like the most common rattle is coming from somewhere near the passenger side rear interior panel. I'm sure I can find it but I'm more concerned with the dramatic increase in harshness. The guy I bought my car from (just last month) said the local dealer told him it was ok to ride on lower tire pressures. That same dealer did the PPI on the car for me and apparently they were ok with 29 in the front and 35 in the rear (when cold).

I've gotten used to driving the car at those pressures. Now that the car has the tire pressures brought up to spec, it's just too freagin' rough on these lousy MD highways.

So a question.. how low can the pressure be and still be safe?
1. Pressure specs on the door (37/44?)= wrong numbers to use. This is way too high and is for a fully loaded car (350 lbs). In fact there is a warning note in yellow color on the same door panel saying "don't use this." (Even with a full load I think 37/44 is too high but that's for another discussion.)

2. 29 front, 36 rear = as mentioned by Ruf_Turbo, this is (roughly) the correct numbers to use for cold tire pressures.

3. Best way to set pressure, IMHO: Your car should come with TPMS standard. Read the manual and set the car to partial load, summer tire.
Then, use the differential reading (should be in the manual), set the car to +0 at all 4 wheels. This should come out to 29-30 front and 35-36 rear more or less and is your baseline. You could vary a little bit around this depending on suspension setup and personal preference. (Using cup tires means you'll have to vary a lot more, like minus 3 or 4 -- but that has nothing to do with your case here.)

4. Overinflated tire (within reasons) improves steering feel, but way too high then ride becomes too rough and traction and cornering stability becomes an issue -- tirerack has a good discussion on this IIRC. Certainly using the door panel numbers bring you to this unsafe area IMHO. For whatever reasons, my car always, always comes back from dealers overinflated , probably because the guys just read the door panel specs without reading the warning note right next to it.

5. OTOH, underinflated tire deforms with cornering (not good) and decreases steering feel. But using the TPMS as mentioned above, you are not in this range, meaning, you are not underflating at 29/36 cold.
Good luck and hope this helps.

Last edited by cannga; 02-12-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:38 AM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
Are you running stock suspension? With stock pressures its not that bad. Try some nitrogen... that will help a bit plus controls the inside temps better than just air. Give it a go. Many tire shops have it nowadays.
Never could understand this as "air" is 78% Nitrogen anyways.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Nitrogen has no effect on temperature stability, ride comfort, or saving the whales.

Benefits:
It is relatively "dry", meaning you will have a TINY bit less water vapor in your tires. Commercial nitrogen is only about 95% pure, so you really only step up to 95% from 78%.
Nitrogen molecules are also slightly larger than oxygen molecules and leak through the tire more slowly, so you will lose 2.5 lbs less air pressure per Year.

Just so you know, all gases expand at the same rate except for that tiny amount of water vapor. It's called Avogadro's Law. Pure science. no marketing BS.

Without question, this whole Nitrogen thing is a pet peeve of mine. It is brilliantly marketed to the uninformed. Some shops charge $80 or more for a fill, claiming every benefit known to mankind.
Nitrogen is just an inert gas. Invest half that $80 in a good tire gauge, and spend the rest on a nice bottle of Chardonnay.

Or choose helium instead and your car will be lighter (just kidding).

Originally Posted by imcarnuts

Old 02-12-2011, 03:28 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tech1_Mike
Invest half that $80 in a good tire gauge, and spend the rest on a nice bottle of Chardonnay.

lol!

b

Old 02-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by imcarnuts
Me neither.....just going by advice of my tire shop. The guy who is owns it is an ex racer so gave me that advice. I assumed he knew what he was talking about. Ive used nitrogen myself in past P's and found it (seemed) to dampen things a wee bit. I used it on my 997s with damptronics in hope of softening it a bit. Maybe its the placebo effect....it could be...as i was looking for anything at that stage to soften the ride. I haven't bothered with it much after the first fill as when you bleed off pressure at the track unless you've got more of it to refill later on then you end up contaminating it with regular air.

Nitrogen has no effect on temperature stability, ride comfort, or saving the whales.

Benefits:
It is relatively "dry", meaning you will have a TINY bit less water vapor in your tires. Commercial nitrogen is only about 95% pure, so you really only step up to 95% from 78%.
Nitrogen molecules are also slightly larger than oxygen molecules and leak through the tire more slowly, so you will lose 2.5 lbs less air pressure per Year.

Just so you know, all gases expand at the same rate except for that tiny amount of water vapor. It's called Avogadro's Law. Pure science. no marketing BS.
Interesting. I'll ask my tire guy again when i talk to him next.....and put it to him he's been BSing me . Altho he's never charged me for it so far so i wont go in too hard.. Ah well...im sure that darn placebo effect has had its way with most of us at one stage in the game.. .

Last edited by speed21; 02-12-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:35 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !

Benefits:

Without question, this whole Nitrogen thing is a pet peeve of mine. It is brilliantly marketed to the uninformed. Some shops charge $80 or more for a fill, claiming every benefit known to mankind.
Nitrogen is just an inert gas. Invest half that $80 in a good tire gauge, and spend the rest on a nice bottle of Chardonnay.

Just returned from a wonderful dinner and really enjoyed a great bottle of Chardonnay although it cost a lot more than 40.00. Thanks for putting the science behind my theory. Bob - Congrats on your Packers.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:03 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Mike,

No disrespect intended.

Benefits:
Air, especially in tires, CAN contain more than a 'TINY' bit of water vapor. Water vapor does cause expansion and contraction with temperature variations. Using a nitrogen purging system removes most (99%+) of the water vapor.

Avogardo's Law states that gases at the same volume, pressure, and temperature will have the same amount of molecules not that they expand at the same rate. If that were the case everything would boil and freeze at the same rate...and that doesn't happen.

I wouldn't use nitrogen either if it was $20 a tire every time but I paid $5 a tire once and my dealer does it free after that so it's worth it to me. And it's for the life of the vehicle, not the tire.

Plus I have found my track tires deviate a lot less when they are filled with nitrogen.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
Avogardo's Law states that gases at the same volume, pressure, and temperature will have the same amount of molecules not that they expand at the same rate. If that were the case everything would boil and freeze at the same rate...and that doesn't happen. Plus I have found my track tires deviate a lot less when they are filled with nitrogen.
So ruffy whats your take on the ride difference? My ex racer tire buddy said it helps hence me using it and it did feel a weeny bit different or....was that just my imagination playing tricks on me .

Old 02-13-2011, 05:09 AM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
No disrespect taken.

Tires DO NOT deviate less when filled with Nitrogen. There is no science to support this claim.
However, the placebo effect of Nitrogen is well documented in these forums.

Science:
No matter what gas you fill your tires with they will expand at the same rate when heated. The exception is the partial pressure of what small amount of water vapor is actually present in the tire. This is usually a TINY amount.
I am well aware that race teams use Nitrogen in an attempt to remove even this tiny variable.

I stand by my first post. And all the previous ones that I have made on this subject. Nitrogen for automobile tires is extremely well marketed but of little value.

Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
Mike,

No disrespect intended.

Air, especially in tires, CAN contain more than a 'TINY' bit of water vapor. Water vapor does cause expansion and contraction with temperature variations. Using a nitrogen purging system removes most (99%+) of the water vapor.

Avogardo's Law states that gases at the same volume, pressure, and temperature will have the same amount of molecules not that they expand at the same rate. If that were the case everything would boil and freeze at the same rate...and that doesn't happen.

I wouldn't use nitrogen either if it was $20 a tire every time but I paid $5 a tire once and my dealer does it free after that so it's worth it to me. And it's for the life of the vehicle, not the tire.

Plus I have found my track tires deviate a lot less when they are filled with nitrogen.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by speed21
So ruffy whats your take on the ride difference? My ex racer tire buddy said it helps hence me using it and it did feel a weeny bit different or....was that just my imagination playing tricks on me .
That was your imagination. You are not going to feel any difference in the ride. Pressure is pressure no matter what gas supplies it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure: How Low Can You Go?