997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

TPC/Proto 5" I/C vs 997.2 I/C...It is all over!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:04 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
I am not totally surprised by the results. What surprises me some is that the results are so dramatic on a stock car! I would have expected the porsche units to be more optimized for the stock boost and air flow. To me this says the gains for the Champion units will almost certainly be even further above the stock units as more boost is dialed in with additional mods.
We have seen impressive IAT data for the Porsche units. I have not seen any flow bench data for them though. I wonder if the above difference is more flow related than temp related? If that is the case, them further modding of the test car will show increasing differences between the two intercoolers, imo...

Old 02-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Was boost or anything logged on these pulls? If so will we ever see them?

So stock vs stock w/ TPC intercoolers a 40rwtq gain was seen?

Old 02-14-2011, 09:00 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I thought i/cs couldn't "add" power or tq unless the tune was altered to compensate for higher flow/lower restriction? Yet it seems to show that there is more tq with the Proto/TPC ics. Does this imply that timing was being pulled on the .2tt i/cs? Would be good to see a datalog. What was the ambient temperature for the dyno?

Old 02-14-2011, 09:17 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
There's no doubt that the 5 inchers flow better. All indications seem to say that they cool just as efficiently as well, if not better. I just didn't think one would see that dramatic of a difference with stock power.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:32 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I'm sure the 5 inchers flow better but if the .2tt ics aren't a bottleneck for flow (and they don't appear to be based on Skand and Earl's results) then increasing the flow through the i/c shouldn't make much difference to stock power if the flow isn't the bottleneck.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:36 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
I agree which is why I was surprised to see the rather significant difference between the two. You really need to see the datalogs to figure out what's going on here.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:14 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
I agree which is why I was surprised to see the rather significant difference between the two. You really need to see the datalogs to figure out what's going on here.
You are correct. A dyno can not demonstrate thermal efficiency, which is the primary function of an intercooler.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:42 AM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Awesome results! ...though this dyno looks vaguely familiar

Any comments on why this stock .2 only made 385 awtq (its the only .2 ever to dyno this low, btw), while this stock one did 450 on the same dyno (and almost the same day)?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2825921

Note what happens when you compare the more realistic stock .2 run vs the post-IC install run...

But yeah, some great transient gains (maybe), lets see the IATs!

Last edited by earl3; 02-14-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:44 AM
jjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant future
Don't put too much stock on dyno graphs. It's not hard to heat soak a car and then keep the graph and compare it to a run with a different IC when the car isn't heat soaked. The heat soaked car will lose power while the other run won't, causing what looks like a "power increase".

p.s. I'm not saying that this is what happened.

-Jose

Originally Posted by earl3
Awesome results! ...though this dyno looks vaguely familiar

Any comments on why this stock .2 only made 385 awtq (its the only .2 ever to dyno this low, btw), while this stock one did 450 on the same dyno (and almost the same day)?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2825921

Note what happens when you compare the more realistic stock .2 run vs the post-IC install run...

But yeah, some great transient gains (maybe), lets see the IATs!

Old 08-07-2014, 01:59 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jjurroz
Don't put too much stock on dyno graphs. It's not hard to heat soak a car and then keep the graph and compare it to a run with a different IC when the car isn't heat soaked. The heat soaked car will lose power while the other run won't, causing what looks like a "power increase".

p.s. I'm not saying that this is what happened.

-Jose
Wow bumping an old thread.

But I just read it from the beginning and lmao. Totally agree with you. Something was screwed up for it to dyno so low on the baseline. No other 997.2 has dyno'd like that.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:54 PM
reisskhan is infamous around these parts
So what is the bottom line is there a big difference between the 997.2 and the TPC cooler especially when you look at the costs difference for the 2?