997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

TPC/Proto 5" I/C vs 997.2 I/C...It is all over!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 12:05 AM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
TPC/Proto 5" I/C vs 997.2 I/C...It is all over!!!!

Here it is on the dyno comparo...no tune on both rans!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload.png
Views:	513
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	143797  
Old 02-14-2011, 12:34 AM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Shotcaller
Here it is on the dyno comparo...no tune on both rans!!!!

So which one is which

Old 02-14-2011, 12:43 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Wowza. I assume red=TPC/Proto, blue=.2ICs? Although the header says .2 vs stock, is that a mistake? If this is correct, then that's a huge difference between the two and first piece of data directly comparing power differences. I'm surprised that TPC/Proto ICs would show that much of an increase over the .2s at stock power levels, no? Not complaining cause I have a set of these on my set-up.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:51 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Yes, a bit of detail wouldn't go astray SC. Like which is which .

Old 02-14-2011, 12:58 AM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Ok lets be more specific here

Blue = Bone stock 997.2 pdk
Red = Bone stock 997.2 pdk with TPC/Proto 5" I/C

Note: With TPC/Proto 5" I/C plus Proto earlier tune the same car on same dynoi made 506/495 whp/tq

Earlier Proto tune review
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-reflash.html

Last edited by Shotcaller; 02-14-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:05 AM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
can I see pictures please

Old 02-14-2011, 01:57 AM
TT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud of
Good dyno graph. Thanks for posting it up.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:19 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Nice one SC! This is a first indeed. Dyno graph looks positive. Proto the clear winner! Love to see a durametric log comparo as a final confirmation. Is that possible or am i pushing it? So the Protomotive coolers with ceramic coating should be better again.....love to see by how much. It's nice to know when dollars are well spent.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:32 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
I think he was simply asking for pictures of the TPC/Proto 5" I/C to see what they look like. Why the hostility? It must be leftover heat from another thread. But I don't think wanting to see what they look like mounted and in a car is out of line. Maybe I'm missing something

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 02-14-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:01 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Outstanding result!
I guess this is a confirmation of my impressions as well. Well done!

Old 02-14-2011, 04:41 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Considering the difference in price between the TPC intercoolers, $4000, and the 997.2 coolers, $940, I don't think the results are worth it.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:33 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by landjet
Considering the difference in price between the TPC intercoolers, $4000, and the 997.2 coolers, $940, I don't think the results are worth it.
You certainly have a point with the price. If you based the current performance improvements in relativity to the price point then the graph would need to show substantially higher to justify the dollars. But for all of that the Proto coolers have clearly shown they have edged out the .2 coolers on performance. So thats quite a step forward from where we were previously with no data. Quantifying just how much the IAT's were actually improved during real time wot driving would be the most telling data, as the cooler the IAT's the better it is for the engine....and that in itself would certainly be worth some dollars. Now how much dollars?...well that would depend on the IAT improvement i imagine and the conditions you are operating under. Improvements are hard to put a price on depending upon your operating environment....such as where Karim is operating in...and the kind of street racing he is doing where he is able to run WOT till top speed in very high ambient temps. So in his particular circumstance then i imagine every degree lower would be worth something
but for many of us that live in far less harsh environments then it would be hard to justify unless you have an extremely high whp HP objective that may warrant the expense.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:49 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
^^^ +1 Paul.

Also factor in one more item into that equation.
Spending money on performance upgrades, when well judged, is mostly a matter of prioritization. Money is spent first on what gives you the highest yield in terms of added performance, and then you go on down the line, unless there are interdependencies between components of course.
With the 997.2 PDK, we have a serious insurmountable obstacle for the moment, the Gearbox limits.
Without that limitation, I might have spent the money that went towards my coolers on upgrading my CTGs for example, before looking at the coolers.
The unfortunate fact is, the PDK box will not hold that power. Clutches slip. So that is not an option for me.
I was perfectly happy then to invest that money in getting the most I can from my car, given that limitation. That meant getting the ICs was a good option towards getting where I want to get in terms of performance, specially with our weather.

My apologies to the OP for going slightly off topic.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:24 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Shotcaller and 997 GT3 RS/TT:

You guys need to stop attacking one another immediately. I'm removing your posts and giving you both a verbal warning. The next time will result in a temp-ban.

Please be respectful.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:27 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Shotcaller
Ok lets be more specific here

Blue = Bone stock 997.2 pdk
Red = Bone stock 997.2 pdk with TPC/Proto 5" I/C

Note: With TPC/Proto 5" I/C plus Proto earlier tune the same car on same dynoi made 506/495 whp/tq

Earlier Proto tune review
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-reflash.html
I'm not surprised by these results. I had these same *TPC Racing ICs on my GT2 and they were awesome.

*The ICs being discussed are designed and produced by TPC Racing, but Protomotive also sells them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TPC/Proto 5" I/C vs 997.2 I/C...It is all over!!!!