997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

2012 911 turbo S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:12 AM
Yarek is infamous around these parts
2012 911 turbo S

Does anybody know about changes to 2012 Porsche 911 models? Especially turbo version. I want to purchase 2011 911 Turbo S and wondering if I should order it now or wait for new redesign 2012 or 2013 model. What is your opinion?

Old 02-19-2011, 07:40 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Yarek
Does anybody know about changes to 2012 Porsche 911 models? Especially turbo version. I want to purchase 2011 911 Turbo S and wondering if I should order it now or wait for new redesign 2012 or 2013 model. What is your opinion?
I am a little boased because I am waiting for a 2011 Turbo S to be delivered. The 911 Models change from the base up. The Turbo S was just redone and will not be touched until MY 2013-14/ by then I will be ready for a new one or on love enough to not care.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:13 AM
drsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant future
2012 will introduce a new color for the Turbo S (not sure about the Turbo) - can't recall the name, but I was told it would be a metallic version of the old Mexican Blue.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:23 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
There's always a new one around the corner, get the Turbo S now!

Old 02-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Overdraft is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tt gasman
there's always a new one around the corner, get the turbo s now!

+1...

Old 02-19-2011, 06:13 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
Turbos usually are one year later than the newest model change. I would buy it and enjoy the 997 now.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:29 PM
airmitch is a name known to allairmitch is a name known to allairmitch is a name known to allairmitch is a name known to allairmitch is a name known to allairmitch is a name known to all
Wait too long and you're either too old, too poor or too dead.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
Yea and you darn sure don't want to be a "guinea pig" for the first year model...

Old 02-19-2011, 09:44 PM
JayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Yarek
I don't think there is a 2012 Turbo S model because that's what I was told by Porsche USA when I bought my 2011 Turbo S. Could be yes or no. I don't know but that's what I was told. Usually Turbo S model only runs for one year only...

Old 02-20-2011, 07:47 AM
llngoc is infamous around these parts
I agree with the first year model theory. I never buy any German cars when it first comes to market. IN fact, the first and only MBZ I owned, it was still a piece of crap even though I waited until the 5 year. I owned a 740iL a few years ago and it was supposed to be a very problematic car but mine was the last one before the model refresh, it has solid reliability and lasted us over 8 years until we got tired of it. Another example is the Cayenne which was the 2009 model after a mini refresh and even though I heard a lot of negative comments on the 2005-2006 Cayennes, ours is also solid like a rock.

With that said, I have my Turbo S on order for May delivery for the same reason plus I do like the interior of the current model much better than the Panemera look. Also, the current new Porsches seem to be going bonker with rear end logos/markings. (i.e. P O R S C H E <model name>) In addition, I don't think we'll get a redesigned Turbo at least until 2013/2014 and realistically, how much more HP/Torque can you use/need for a DD? (Also, by 2013/2014 my older son will probably be too tall to get into the back of the car so we can no longer use it as a family car. and my wife will definitely reject it. )

Old 02-20-2011, 09:19 AM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
Thumbs up

Agreed... There is really no way they can have everything figured out until they get it out into the mass market for a period of time, too many new parts, OEM partners, etc... Just take the "Sport" steering wheel for the PDK's as an example, they were almost all bad out of the factory and have needed, or still need, to be replaced. This was because of an out sourced partner's manufacturing design flaw. Think about it, anytime they change the whole design it requires a ton of new parts, a lot of which have no real world test time until we get a hold of them. Albeit better than it used to be, there have been too many examples of first year issues when Porsche has released a car. Furthermore a lot of these issues you never hear about due to Porsche's tight lips. For instance I know for fact there have been changes to the '11 Panamera and Cayenne motors to help deal with very premature carbon build up issues, intrinsic to the DFI motor, due to only driving short distances. I have seen no mention of this on these boards, or anywhere else for that matter. Look at the early 996's with 2nd gear "pop out" issues and RMS problems. It's just nature of the beast when you're building/changing a high performance race car for the masses. The issue is, if you get one of these cars new, and one of these issues raises its ugly head later down the road, then it could severely affect your resale value even if Porsche fixes the problem. The only way to buy a brand new model I feel is to lease it, then you don't have to worry about it

It's not always best to be the first kid on the block. The 997 has a pretty good track record at this point, lots of time to get things worked out. This makes it a more stable investment at this point.

Last edited by Ted; 02-20-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:58 AM
stvs911tts is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JayTurbo
I don't think there is a 2012 Turbo S model because that's what I was told by Porsche USA when I bought my 2011 Turbo S. Could be yes or no. I don't know but that's what I was told. Usually Turbo S model only runs for one year only...
That's what I was told, too.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:08 AM
llngoc is infamous around these parts
This is interesting. Can someone confirm this piece of info? Was it really from PCNA?

Old 02-21-2011, 01:18 PM
drsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant future
My friend just put a deposit down on a '12 S. Porsche dealership stated that since they would be last production (i.e. June or July) they would rolled into the 2012 MY (they are getting two of these 2012 Turbo S).

Old 02-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Ted
Yep, anything built after April of this year, Porsche sports car of any type, will be MY12 however there is still question of how many "S"'s, if any, will actually be built after this date. Without disclosing names, this person I spoke with would absolutely know this information. There won't be many though and I doubt there is any changes whatsoever, just Porsche milking the system with the 997 as much as they can

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 911 turbo S