997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 Turbo Cab Construction - Project Not Ours

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Alright... Update time!

We took on this project knowing what our kit could already do based on my 6spd car. But the underlying factor here was the tranny. The tranny needed to support the horsepower or the power would be worthless. After all our research online, we were going to go with the way all others do simply with using additional MB discs. But everyone is so secretive about what is done (keep reading, not that much of a secret). But instead we took on an opportunity with a company who makes DSG discs for other cars like the GTR. The concept as we talked about above was to add more discs and more material. Our problem with this really ended up with R&D and experience since we were here in AZ and the builder was not. Not afraid to be honest, we burnt up 2 sets just driving normally. This was because of spacing, not material we believe. So to not hold up the project anymore, we dove back into our research. What is in these tranny's from MB? Call Porsche, they dont know. Call Mercedes, "you got a VIN?". Making connections with the right people, we learned alot to build a successful strong Tiptronic tranny.

You really only need 5 things to have a successful Tiptronic: New Discs and Spacers, Solenoid Valves, TCU to increase line pressure, upgraded Torque Converter, and larger diameter line. Upgrading the K2 and K3 clutch baskets you have to order parts from a SL55 AMG. This includes new discs and new spacers which is key. You need 2 kits for 1 car and then it is all about measuring. If the spacers are to tall, then you have disks that will not engage and if they are to close, disks bind up and burn. The goal as we already discussed was to increase pressure and that is done with the upgraded Solenoids and a TCU flash while improving flow with a larger steel braided line. The TCU is really there to improve the shift points. With the pressure up'd, the clamping force allows for the increased discs to hold together under peak torque. We did not upgrade the valvebody. Will post pics of the upgraded parts later. We are going to re-investigate the Kevlar disc upgrade though, no eta right now.

So the results...
We strapped the convertible down to our Mustang AWD dyno and with the existing 93octane the car had, we begin to do some runs. Granted it is 100F in the room, we were expecting some ok numbers. First we wanted to run wastegate pressure only. This was about .9bar. Once we confirmed the car was running ok, our set goal for "pump" gas was 1.35bar We did 2 runs back to back and yielded about 650awhp. The Mustang Dyno in AWD mode is called the Heart Breaker or Dream Killer because it usually shows a 20-25% drivetrain loss. That right there is about 800 crank. We did a couple more runs at that boost level to make sure the tranny was still holding up. Our next goal was to set a race boost level. This was going to be 1.6bar on 109octane. So we slightly dialed in the boost and made run after run as we crept up. Letting the car cool for an hour, we came back to do the glory run.

With traction control on, we let it rip in 3rd gear. At 5200rpm with traction control on, we were still breaking loose the tires. With peak boost only hitting 1.52bar, the dyno correction factor had it putting won 788awhp and 762ft/lbs of torque!!!! We were not able to get the tires to stick anymore. In cooler temps and 1.6-1.7bar, this car is making 850awhp easily In comparison, my 6spd car made 760awhp and 690ft/lbs of torque on 109 at 1.7bar. The difference is the 72lb injectors, 4inch compressor inlet on the GT3076 turbos, and the Tiptronic. The car came to us with a flash, AP Exhaust, AP Headers, and AP intake. It gained over 250awhp! So yes on the dyno, the car felt good, but how would it feel on the street? Next Post coming up....

Reference for Greddy Boost Settings:
Low Boost - Dial 60%, Gain 18%, Set Gain 23%
High Boost - Dial 80%, Gain 18%, Set Gain 23%

Dyno showing Baseline, Low Boost, High Boost

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6-15-2011-scan.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	328328  
Attached Images  

Last edited by vividracing; 02-01-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:11 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
sick!

thanks Dan!

Your mechanics must be sick and tires of pulling out the tranny

Old 06-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
We pulled the tranny in and out maybe 10 times no joke. But its learning. And to the customer, your extended patience will be worth it.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Former Vendor
Here are some pics of what is done to the K2 and K3 sections. Really the work is knowing how to disassemble, measure, find which parts you need, reassemble... If someone wanted the build, we can offer the service. But this just shows parts that you have to change.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Former Vendor
Made a little video... Hope you have enjoyed this project

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5wNbu_ut04

Old 06-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Former Vendor
Link to the Tranny Upgrade for 996 and 997 Turbo is here - http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/v...o-p-87479.html

Old 06-21-2011, 02:47 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Looks a little laggy

Old 06-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Former Vendor
Very usuable power, watch the video

Old 06-22-2011, 06:40 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like boost kicks at around 4000 rpm

What was the 0-60?

Old 06-22-2011, 12:17 PM
atlboy is infamous around these parts
Ok I am confused. I was previously told (by Tom from champion) that the limit of the stock engine is about 675 hp/tq at the wheels. Dan from vivid racing tells me the engine is good for up to 950 crank hp, which he says is about 800 at the wheels.

Can anyone help me figure out which is true. I just want the best turbo kit I can get for my 911 turbo. I'm an old school pushrod engine guy ad new to this Porsche scene.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Former Vendor
800whp on 109oct race gas at 1.5 or 1.6bar with tuning has been done many a times. This includes 700+awhp 996TT and 997TT.

Last edited by vividracing; 02-01-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by vividracing
800whp on 109oct race gas at 1.5 or 1.6bar with Softronic tuning has been done many a times. This includes 700+awhp 996TT and 997TT by Switzer and Protomotive both tuned by or with Softronic.
Thanks Dan. I am really leaning towards your kit. I was just looking for some unbiased opinions from other people with your kit, or others that produce similar power.

I also noticed that there's some of y'all talking about this 60-130 time. What's that all about and how would this power level translate into performance at 60-130. I see the rankings but it don't say which turbo kit the cars have.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Former Vendor
The only verified time I have on my VR825 car is 6.04. Our TX Mile time with this was 206.2mph and our fastest 1/4 mile trap speed was 134mph. Alot of these variables depend on weather and driver too. Its gonna be hard to get users to posts but you will probably get a ton of vendor PM's saying me me me. What I can say is that my Agency Power products have a lifetime guarantee and with the tuning and boost levels for pump and race gas, your engine is safe.

I will put a further guarantee on our parts if need be. There are several GT30 related cars on here with rocket 60-130 times of 5's and stock engines. I am very confident in what we have and do.

Call me back, lets discuss and make things the best way for you!

Last edited by vividracing; 02-01-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:55 PM
bimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to behold
Very nice!

Old 06-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks Dan. Question about those stats. I noticed that the other turbo kit we talked about ran a 5.5 second time in that 60-130 comparo. I thought it made much less power?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo Cab Construction - Project Not Ours