997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

RING time under 7mins by 'true' production car....sorry it's NOT a GT2 RS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 02:17 PM
_AMG_ is infamous around these parts_AMG_ is infamous around these parts
Thats unbelievably fast. Not too fond of the looks though.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:52 PM
thebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by GT-TT
only brake steer, electronically controlled and apparently very effective but... it steals the driving pleasure of an lsd with controllable slides etc etc.
Had 911s with and without lsd and i know which one i liked more.. (a lot more).

Have a deposit to get one in the fall and thats my only dilemma.
Check out the power slides that Chris Harris is putting the McClaren through in the new EVO video before you slag off the electronic LSD McClaren has designed into this car. I doubt once you drove it on track you'd give a monkey's about whether it has a 'real' lsd.

Bish

Old 02-28-2011, 08:51 PM
997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mini George
It's not true. The real time was over 7:20.
quote the source steve sutchliffe (well respected auto journalist) on an Autocar blog stated that the boyz from Woking hinted a time UNDER 7mins! (google it) y would both parties go out on a limb to be proven wrong later bet ur time didn't come from McLaren execs. probably came from Ferrari salesperson

Last edited by 997tt RS 2.7; 02-28-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:16 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997tt RS 2.7
quote the source steve sutchliffe (well respected auto journalist) on an Autocar blog stated that the boyz from Woking hinted a time UNDER 7mins! (google it) y would both parties go out on the limb to be proven wrong later bet ur time didn't come from McLaren execs. probably came from Ferrari salesperson
Your scrutinizing another member's info when yours comes from a blog from a guy who heard "hints" from some other guys? 3 words...pot...kettle...black.

I think I'll wait for an independent review before I judge the McLaren because I for one can't drive the Nurburgring under 7 minutes...or 7:20...or 7:30...or 8:00 for that matter. I'm going to go out on a limb and say no one else on this thread can do it either.

Last edited by bbywu; 02-28-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:13 PM
997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of
[quote=bbywu;3137152]Your scrutinizing another member's info when yours comes from a blog from a guy who heard "hints" from some other guys? 3 words...pot...kettle...black.

I think I'll wait for an independent review before I judge the McLaren because I for one can't drive the Nurburgring under 7 minutes...or 7:20...or 7:30...or 8:00 for that matter. I'm going to go out on a limb and say no one else on this thread can do it either.[/quote

with all due respect sir 'blog' in this case was a topic of interest (look it up) PRINTED online, AGAIN by a respected journalist on Autocar's website. NO ONE reads hard copy anymore. i guess the 2RS time was independent with NO Porsche technicians downloading on there laptops
i too will go out on a limb and say the 12C does it in 7mins DEAD as quoted on my SOURCE

Old 02-28-2011, 11:12 PM
RUF QTR is just really niceRUF QTR is just really niceRUF QTR is just really niceRUF QTR is just really nice
The new pirelli Corsas directionale (N1 for porsche) are NOT outdated. They are actually pretty amazing for traction..
Thanks for correcting me , i was misleaded by a reputable source that it was replaced by the Trofeos and Porsche are no longer using them

Old 03-01-2011, 05:32 AM
GT-TT is infamous around these partsGT-TT is infamous around these parts
Yes the new corsas are very difficult to find currently as mass production literally just started. Got a set couple of weeks ago after a 6 month wait and was quite impressed with the traction. They are an improvement vs the already very good previous version and Pirelli is also working on the 2rs sizes which will get the n rating soon. (the rear 325 already exist with n rating)

Old 03-01-2011, 05:50 AM
Originally Posted by thebishman
Check out the power slides that Chris Harris is putting the McClaren through in the new EVO video before you slag off the electronic LSD McClaren has designed into this car. I doubt once you drove it on track you'd give a monkey's about whether it has a 'real' lsd.

Bish
I hope you are right but I for one can't be convinced -apparently neither Chris Harris or Ratcliff- check their very recent articles on evo magazine etc. Also Hamilton's video trying to get some fun oversteer on jalopnic got me worried that this one of the reasons this car while being the most efficient and fast car by some margin is getting comments for being dull.
Break steer via electronics is an advanced tool that can make the car faster in certain conditions ane mainly for a larger envelope of drivers. But at the exprense of the unique feeling you have when you also have an LSD and you can control the slide, feed the power yourself and be even quicker. Those 20kgrs saved were a good marketing point but for a cost for experienced drivers that have used both systems.
Btw on those slides Harris was getting on that wet track I think the lack of LSD was quite obvious.. Hopefully a retrofit at some point will be possible (r version?) as this car is an amazing achievement..

Old 03-01-2011, 05:59 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I hope you are right but I for one can't be convinced -apparently neither Chris Harris or Ratcliff- check their very recent articles on evo magazine etc. Also Hamilton's video trying to get some fun oversteer on jalopnic got me worried that this one of the reasons this car while being the most efficient and fast car by some margin is getting comments for being dull.
Break steer via electronics is an advanced tool that can make the car faster in certain conditions ane mainly for a larger envelope of drivers. But at the exprense of the unique feeling you have when you also have an LSD and you can control the slide, feed the power yourself and be even quicker. Those 20kgrs saved were a good marketing point but for a cost for experienced drivers that have used both systems.
Btw on those slides Harris was getting on that wet track I think the lack of LSD was quite obvious.. Hopefully a retrofit at some point will be possible (r version?) as this car is an amazing achievement..
I think car companies that pride themselves in performance will keep the performance options... How many people who have the money to purchase this car will take their cars on powerslides everywhere they go? And how many of those people will showboat to their friends about how fast it can go in a straight line?

For example... Look at Ferrari only offering a DCT in some of their cars, Porsche Turbo S only in AWD & PDK, GT-R only in AWD & DCT, etc... These companies don't give the option of less performance (for the very few who want fun (this was made apparent to me when I said something about the 1-series M Coupe being too heavy).

Old 03-01-2011, 07:34 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997tt RS 2.7
with all due respect sir 'blog' in this case was a topic of interest (look it up) PRINTED online, AGAIN by a respected journalist on Autocar's website. NO ONE reads hard copy anymore. i guess the 2RS time was independent with NO Porsche technicians downloading on there laptops
i too will go out on a limb and say the 12C does it in 7mins DEAD as quoted on my SOURCE
LOL...

I couldn't care less about a 7 minute time. Or the GT-R's 7:20 time, or the GT2RS's 7:18 time. To me, the Nurburgring has become a marketing tool and serves no purpose other than to start threads like this. But I guess I shouldn't ridicule someone else's information despite the lack of video evidence, datalogs, or GPS telemetry.

Since I can't drive anywhere near that skill level, I'd prefer to see actual data from a known driver in the same conditions before treating it as gospel. I'll wait for an independent review to put it in context. I'm not content to chase phantom numbers without telemetry.

Last edited by bbywu; 03-01-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:59 AM
I really think this car with an LSD would be faster, but also more handful for most drivers. Also it would have added 15-20 kgs of weight and weight reduction was at the core of the design and marketing of this car. At the end it probably came to a compromise on the above parameters.
But this left out of the equation those who do want the advantages, feel and speed of non electronically controlled dynamics. And this is I think what all reviewers have tried to convey in their reviews. Its not for parking lot theatrics but the essence and feel of driving.
Having said all that I would still probably buy this car (and hope for a retrofit together with the sport seats that should negate the weight gain..)

Old 03-01-2011, 09:19 AM
vrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bbywu
I think I'll wait for an independent review before I judge the McLaren because I for one can't drive the Nurburgring under 7 minutes...or 7:20...or 7:30...or 8:00 for that matter. I'm going to go out on a limb and say no one else on this thread can do it either.
LOL...

I couldn't care less about a 7 minute time. Or the GT-R's 7:20 time, or the GT2RS's 7:18 time. To me, the Nurburgring has become a marketing tool and serves no purpose other than to start threads like this. But I guess I shouldn't ridicule someone else's information despite the lack of video evidence, datalogs, or GPS telemetry.

Since I can't drive anywhere near that skill level, I'd prefer to see actual data from a known driver in the same conditions before treating it as gospel. I'll wait for an independent review to put it in context. I'm not content to chase phantom numbers without telemetry.
I completely agree.

In reference to this and your previous post just above, since 99.9% of us can't think of approaching those times, what does it really matter?

Seriously guys, these are just cars.
This hobby is supposed to be fun, not an intense debate riddled with aggressive vitriol.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:56 AM
thebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to behold
I really think this car with an LSD would be faster, but also more handful for most drivers. Also it would have added 15-20 kgs of weight and weight reduction was at the core of the design and marketing of this car. At the end it probably came to a compromise on the above parameters.
But this left out of the equation those who do want the advantages, feel and speed of non electronically controlled dynamics. And this is I think what all reviewers have tried to convey in their reviews. Its not for parking lot theatrics but the essence and feel of driving.
Having said all that I would still probably buy this car (and hope for a retrofit together with the sport seats that should negate the weight gain..)
Whilst McClaren can perhaps be accused of being too technical or clinical by certain members, they more than anyone here probably know that having a car go around a corner sideways is the slow(er) way to navigate a road course; even if the pilot feels great doing it. So they've designed the car to be as fast and safe as they know how. IF they felt the car would be truly faster, safer and more 'fun' to drive with a mechanical LSD I don't think the addition of 20kgs would have changed their mind.

Anyway as I mentioned, if you have the means to buy one of these cars I would encourage you to drive one in the heat of the moment before you determine it's not for you simply because of the LSD 'issue'.

Bish

Old 03-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
To get a production car with the power/weight of the Mclaren around the Ring in under 7min without racing slicks would be a huge achievment. It sounds a bit too fast to me.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:03 PM
MI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to behold
gotta somewhat chuckle at a lot of the above posts - curious to know how many here have ever been to the Nurburgring.. not many, I'd guess - and yet this stirs-up so much drama - go figure, me.....(and by the way - yes I've been there - years ago but hope, someday, to return and I'd sure like to be "taxi'd" by Sabine..and maybe even have a meal at Sabine's Momma's restaurant - a Steak on a Stone - their especialitate (yeah, my German isn't so good)..)

Last edited by MI55LE; 03-01-2011 at 05:12 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RING time under 7mins by 'true' production car....sorry it's NOT a GT2 RS