997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

buy 997Turbo pdk or wait for 991Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 02:26 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thebland
OK...fastest acceleration in a straight line from point A to point B!
Still relative...

(Point taken)

Old 03-02-2011, 02:41 PM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Still relative...

(Point taken)
You know, we had a let up in the weather here in Detroit toda, so I took it out for a spin. So, even though I am taking it easy with the high RPMs, it was almost down right frightening when I hit the gas and really let it fly. My gosh, the accelation is powerful. Coming from a Carrera 4S, I didn't expect a huge difference... but the difference is HUGE!

Old 03-02-2011, 02:47 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thebland
You know, we had a let up in the weather here in Detroit toda, so I took it out for a spin. So, even though I am taking it easy with the high RPMs, it was almost down right frightening when I hit the gas and really let it fly. My gosh, the accelation is powerful. Coming from a Carrera 4S, I didn't expect a huge difference... but the difference is HUGE!
Agreed. Hopefully the OP will heed this, and experience the TT S for himself.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Brian GTS is infamous around these parts
I could see waiting 6 months or MAYBE stretching to 12...but no way 2 years!!! I would definitely get one now. Who knows what could happen by that time.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
No matter when it is it will still be a first year model with entirely new parts. I've been burned too many times by this scenario... There is simply no way to rectify this issue except for passage of time. In other words you will always be a Guinea pig in this case unless you lease of course...

Old 03-03-2011, 10:43 AM
zdimic is a jewel in the roughzdimic is a jewel in the roughzdimic is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Ted
No matter when it is it will still be a first year model with entirely new parts. I've been burned too many times by this scenario... There is simply no way to rectify this issue except for passage of time. In other words you will always be a Guinea pig in this case unless you lease of course...
Don't forget with current 997.2, this is a first year for this engine in a Turbo guise.

When 991 comes, it's likely to have this same engine, with some enhancements, and body would be only new. In my mind there is less risk in the first year of 991, than this 997.2 Turbo.

I'd say wait for 991...

Old 03-03-2011, 12:23 PM
europeankar has a spectacular aura abouteuropeankar has a spectacular aura abouteuropeankar has a spectacular aura about
991 turbo

Old 03-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Dr. G has a spectacular aura aboutDr. G has a spectacular aura about
I would say buy now if you can. Next turbo may not be out until 2013 or even 2014. I have the first allocation slot on the next gen turbo at my dealer. The only reason is that I just paid off $170K in high interest debt due to issues with my business (I will buy my turbo outright - no financing). Although the next turbo will probably be a monster (not that the current S isn't) why put off the gratification if you can get into one now?

Old 03-03-2011, 12:56 PM
zdimic is a jewel in the roughzdimic is a jewel in the roughzdimic is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Dr. G
I would say buy now if you can. Next turbo may not be out until 2013 or even 2014. I have the first allocation slot on the next gen turbo at my dealer. The only reason is that I just paid off $170K in high interest debt due to issues with my business (I will buy my turbo outright - no financing). Although the next turbo will probably be a monster (not that the current S isn't) why put off the gratification if you can get into one now?
Buying today and 991 in few years will make some serious dent in your account, as they depreciate quite a bit, but if you can afford it, go for it...

Old 03-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by zdimic
Buying today and 991 in few years will make some serious dent in your account, as they depreciate quite a bit, but if you can afford it, go for it...
Somewhat of topic, but if you keep R8 as a daily car, GT3 would be hell of a toy. That things is soulful, but of course no torque of Turbo

Old 03-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Dr. G has a spectacular aura aboutDr. G has a spectacular aura about
...and the depreciation curve on a GT3 isn't as steep as a turbo.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Bluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud of
Just traded R8 for a TT-S. Without a doubt, go for it. Better car.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:09 PM
pirateoc is infamous around these parts
I would definitely go for TS, and maybe consider 911 turbo in its second production year.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:07 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
Don't care for the R8...go TT

Old 03-04-2011, 10:44 AM
BlackTTCab is infamous around these partsBlackTTCab is infamous around these parts
Dude you could be dead in 2 years. Go for the TTs, one of the best cars on the market right now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: buy 997Turbo pdk or wait for 991Turbo?