997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Service due now message 997.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 11:39 AM
JG-00 is infamous around these parts
Service due now message 997.2

Getting a message that service is due now. Purchased the car in May and has only 3600 miles on it. Nothing about service in the manual until the first oil change at 6000 miles. Anybody else seen this or have an idea what service would be due?

Old 03-06-2011, 11:52 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
When was the build date? Sometimes the clock on the service reminder light does not reflect time correctly - my 997TT showed a service due light after 6 months.

bob

Old 03-06-2011, 12:15 PM
CaptnCrash is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JG-00
Getting a message that service is due now. Purchased the car in May and has only 3600 miles on it. Nothing about service in the manual until the first oil change at 6000 miles. Anybody else seen this or have an idea what service would be due?

This is one thing that really pisses me off about P cars. That reminder is total BS most of the time [ all the time in my personal experience ]. It's just IMNSHO another way to force you to the dealer to extract some more $$$ from your wallet.

That warning comes on even if you have ***no codes***, and with the last P car I never could figure out what the timing was, time or miles, I suspect it was time but nothing concrete there.

In previous models Durametric was able to reset those. I don't know if their v6 Beta version can do it yet or not on a 997.2 but I sure hope so because I'm expecting to see one of those on my wifes 997.2tt this year sometime.

Durametric is an almost invaluable tool to have if you own one of these. It'll pay for itself first time you need to hook it up.

--CC

Last edited by CaptnCrash; 03-07-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:48 AM
SVTHorsnake is infamous around these partsSVTHorsnake is infamous around these parts
I don't think there's a Porsche conspiracy. Either it's thrown a code, in which case you have a warranty, or it's calling for a routine service, in which case you can verify its necessity against the owners' manual.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by SVTHorsnake
I don't think there's a Porsche conspiracy. Either it's thrown a code, in which case you have a warranty, or it's calling for a routine service, in which case you can verify its necessity against the owners' manual.

Well lets see -- past experience,

**No codes -- again, NO CODES
**Not near any service mileage
**Counts down from 20 days then stays on
**Need computer / tester via OBDII port to turn it off

Many other manufactures have something similar, MB, BMW, even my Dodge, BUT, in all those cases it can be cancelled by some combination of user accessible controls, no need for a tester and the OBDII port.

Yes, I would call that a conspiracy, it's simply a method of driving $$$ to the dealer service department. It's tacky, and ridiculous.

--CC

Old 03-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Mikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to behold
This is more like a countdown date clock. I change my own oil and my local dealership would reset the service light for free. Just drive by and ask them nicely but remember that the reminder won't be on again until 12 months later.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:19 PM
SVTHorsnake is infamous around these partsSVTHorsnake is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CaptnCrash
Well lets see -- past experience,

**No codes -- again, NO CODES
**Not near any service mileage
**Counts down from 20 days then stays on
**Need computer / tester via OBDII port to turn it off

Many other manufactures have something similar, MB, BMW, even my Dodge, BUT, in all those cases it can be cancelled by some combination of user accessible controls, no need for a tester and the OBDII port.

Yes, I would call that a conspiracy, it's simply a method of driving $$$ to the dealer service department. It's tacky, and ridiculous.

--CC
I charge you for turning off the light too... kidding. I understand you frustration.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Hoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to all
Maybe the dealer set this notification when they first got the car instead of when it was sold. Dealer can turn it off for you.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:04 PM
The first item on the intermediate maintenance 997.2 / turbo list is reset the maintenance interval :

"Diagnosis system: Read fault memory; reset maintenance interval/Read and record range information on R.O."

So I suspect you can never disable it, you just have to keep resetting it. I've been using Durametric for years to do this. I just think it's asinine to do it where only a P tester or 3rd party software can reset / turn it off.

--CC

Old 03-10-2011, 12:52 PM
JG-00 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the feedback guys. It does appear to be a nuisance issue rather than anything real. It certainly does not correspond to anything other than an approximate date of one year after the dealer could have received it.