997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Couple interesting choices for turbo exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:27 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
There are many good exhausts. The new awe crosspipe looks interesting. As far as euro exhausts, look no further than EP. Tubi no longer makes the single can system, the multi-piece system will drone. If you can find a early tubi, that would be good, pm brownan, he might have one.
The Ak has a CEL issue that needs to be resolved. The Cristo one has some rough looking tips, I wouldn't go with either. FVD, TA and 9ff also have switchable exhausts.
GL
c
I've been in contact with TechArt and FVD folks for awhile with no mention of a remote.....will check again. Still in contact with 9ff. Speedart has a electrical hookup to change exhaust tone which means a hole somewhere in the turbo for a wire
Hopefully with the remote-Cristo, one can stay with OEM or AWE tips, but can Cristo-tips look that "rough?" I can understand the negative feelings on the Ak, but have you found or heard any problems with Cristo besides just the rough tips??

Old 03-25-2011, 06:42 AM
Porsche GT3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by johnww
I've been in contact with TechArt and FVD folks for awhile with no mention of a remote.....will check again. Still in contact with 9ff. Speedart has a electrical hookup to change exhaust tone which means a hole somewhere in the turbo for a wire
Hopefully with the remote-Cristo, one can stay with OEM or AWE tips, but can Cristo-tips look that "rough?" I can understand the negative feelings on the Ak, but have you found or heard any problems with Cristo besides just the rough tips??

What about Fabspeed?

Old 03-25-2011, 08:34 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
There are many good exhausts. The new awe crosspipe looks interesting. As far as euro exhausts, look no further than EP. Tubi no longer makes the single can system, the multi-piece system will drone. If you can find a early tubi, that would be good, pm brownan, he might have one.
The Ak has a CEL issue that needs to be resolved. The Cristo one has some rough looking tips, I wouldn't go with either. FVD, TA and 9ff also have switchable exhausts.
GL
c
TTsurgeon...You're correct on the capristo "rough-lookng tips"...very black but can be ordered non-blackened. Again the key question, are you aware of any other issues with the Capristo system? Checked with 9ff and their unit is cable fed to change exhaust note.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:35 AM
teolax is infamous around these partsteolax is infamous around these parts
GL
c
I have the Tubi street from Brownan Just got it installed this week and it's a huge improvement over stock. Quite honestly, I didn't have enough time with the stock exhaust to notice a huge difference in performance, but the sound is much improved and was just what I was looking for. Not overly loud on idle or normal driving around town, but really wakes up when you get on the throttle. Thank TT for the intro a few months back to Brownan.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
Johnww,

Give me a call or send me a pm. We have a valved version for you...

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

Old 03-25-2011, 01:05 PM
[quote=Rhonda@FVD;3159280]Johnww,

Give me a call or send me a pm. We have a valved version for you...
I"ll sure do that, but I am sure your system has a cable leading to the valved-exhaust device , what I am looking for is an absolute remote with no cables, wires leading to the exhaust...no holes to drill.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:52 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
You know, there are several holes used for other wires in the 997. really no need to drill a bunch of holes at all. Personally, I would trust a more direct system, rather than a remote.
I know nothing of the cristo system, other than the tips. i believe a member here had it installed a while back and quickly got rid of it......perhaps he'll chime in.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:42 PM
You know, there are several holes used for other wires in the 997. really no need to drill a bunch of holes at all. Personally, I would trust a more direct system, rather than a remote.
I know nothing of the cristo system, other than the tips. i believe a member here had it installed a while back and quickly got rid of it......perhaps he'll chime in.
You may be right on the exhaust remote. I understand the main problem cropping up with these exhaust valves in both direct and remote systems is premature failure under the intense heat combined with corrosive gases existing in the pipes.
On that firewall-hole issue, never had any luck...tried with my laser difuser and finally ended up with the Cheetah remote unit which saved a lot of work and grief. Thought I would try the same with these exhaust regulators.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:18 AM
I found cgng30 threads on Capristo. Ronnie had hell with the system. No feedback from him yet, but it looks like he finally went EP. From that mess, I'm back with EP or AWE. Appreciate the cautionary remarks, they saved some precious time/$. The abiliity to change exhaust sound sounds great, but not worth so much grief.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Car-Narcissist
Like so many others, I have this same exhaust query. Mike, can you explain how it is possible to have a perfect balance without having a switchable exhaust?
Great question.

Size, shape, and the internal baffeling of the resonators or mufflers. This is plays a huge part.

Also, how the system is mounted to the car. That can also play a role on how loud the system is inside the cabin.

Sound is vibration. Since we design and make our Porsche systems on site, we have the luxury of trying multiple prototypes. We can quickly play with and adjust certain variables to achieve a desired result. This is a huge advantage for us.

Also, the flat six turbo motor in our opinion is not one that needs a switchable system, we also cannot justify the added expense. The Audi R8 V8 an V10 on the other hand respond well to a switch. That is why we incorporated one into those exhaust systems.

Thanks for asking.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:31 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
I heard the AWE exhaust for the Panamera and it sounds sexy, cant find post, but its on this forum somewhere.....

Old 03-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Car-Narcissist
But "perfect" for some of us is one when the exhaust is loud when we want it to be and quiet when we want it to be. With the wife in the car or when pulling into my community, I dont want it loud (whether I'm on the pedal hard or not). But out by myself and away from my house, I want some volume. So I cant understand how this is possible to have without a switchable system.
That is exactly how I describe our system. Almost verbatim.

Quiet when it has to be, loud when you want it to be.

At a stead state cruise on the highway, you will be able to speak to a passenger without yelling, able to hear the radio, even able to speak on a cell or hands free.

However, when you go WOT with the windows down, that is where the fun begins.

Again, as I said it the above post, you can use a few methods to control the sound vibrations and volume.

Is it at all possible for you to come to our location for a tour and test drive? This would be easier to show you what I am refering to.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:04 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
I wish that was reallyb true .... I think that can be true only if you live near a popular installer or at least near a big city like maybe Atlanta size.
All you have to do is get with fellow P-car owners and you'll see just about everything.

Join PCA and the local region and you'll get to know many P-car owners than you ever imagined.

What part of FL you in?

Last edited by ruf_turbo; 03-28-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
All you have to do is get with fellow P-car owners and you'll see just about everything.

Join PCA and the local region and you'll get to know many P-car owners than you ever imagined.

What part of FL you in?
Am a PCA member, in northwest Florida with the only late model turbo within hundreds of miles.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Overdraft is infamous around these parts
I like the BBI pipe. Installed one on my 2010 TT - not loud at all actualy....until you wail on it...very civil with nice tone on idle. Uses the OEM cats which was important to me. Build quality was superb and it was reasonbly priced. The black quad tips are killer. Europipe and AWE interested me as well after all my reasearch because I liked their sound as well and they were very helpful in my inquiries - and the customers I spoke with were all very pleased with their exhausts. In the end - for me - the BBI tone was one that I like the most.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Couple interesting choices for turbo exhaust