997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Couple interesting choices for turbo exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 06:51 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
[quote=Mike/AWE;3161893]Great question.

Size, shape, and the internal baffeling of the resonators or mufflers. This is plays a huge part.

Also, how the system is mounted to the car. That can also play a role on how loud the system is inside the cabin.

Sound is vibration. Since we design and make our Porsche systems on site, we have the luxury of trying multiple prototypes. We can quickly play with and adjust certain variables to achieve a desired result. This is a huge advantage for us.
With other after market exhaust systems, they never mention this sound-vibration issue. I noticed in your installation procedure, a special adjustment is mentioned if vibration or resonance is felt. Most likely this is not the sound vibration you mention above, but is this exhaust-vibration AWE-issue present in other after market systems, but just not discussed?

Old 03-28-2011, 07:07 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by Overdraft
I like the BBI pipe. Installed one on my 2010 TT - not loud at all actualy....until you wail on it...very civil with nice tone on idle. Uses the OEM cats which was important to me. Build quality was superb and it was reasonbly priced. The black quad tips are killer. Europipe and AWE interested me as well after all my reasearch because I liked their sound as well and they were very helpful in my inquiries - and the customers I spoke with were all very pleased with their exhausts. In the end - for me - the BBI tone was one that I like the most.
I had BBI as a choice, but a couple three 6-speeders as I remember said there was some resonance/drone from that system if speed is kept at 55 or so. You find no drone? The sound of the BBI is tremendous.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:15 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
BBI offer a few levels of sound.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Overdraft
I like the BBI pipe. Installed one on my 2010 TT - not loud at all actualy....until you wail on it...very civil with nice tone on idle. Uses the OEM cats which was important to me. Build quality was superb and it was reasonbly priced. The black quad tips are killer. Europipe and AWE interested me as well after all my reasearch because I liked their sound as well and they were very helpful in my inquiries - and the customers I spoke with were all very pleased with their exhausts. In the end - for me - the BBI tone was one that I like the most.
Using your OEM cats, did they just weld the BBI pipes to the cats. Did they even bother to remove the cats?? If they can do that, then they can install another muffler, but I have been told they can't/will not do that, but always replace cats and muffler. Or did you have to buy another set of OEM cats??

Old 03-28-2011, 08:37 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by johnww
Using your OEM cats, did they just weld the BBI pipes to the cats. Did they even bother to remove the cats?? If they can do that, then they can install another muffler, but I have been told they can't/will not do that, but always replace cats and muffler. Or did you have to buy another set of OEM cats??
Only the 997.2 can use the oem cats...

Old 03-29-2011, 05:00 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Johnw, reading your posts it looks like you've done your homework. An audition is now the final piece in the puzzle, but for your criteria you know there are only two options. So throw a coin and let us know when you've got it on. Either will be good.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:21 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
With other after market exhaust systems, they never mention this sound-vibration issue. I noticed in your installation procedure, a special adjustment is mentioned if vibration or resonance is felt. Most likely this is not the sound vibration you mention above, but is this exhaust-vibration AWE-issue present in other after market systems, but just not discussed?
John, good point, I guess not. I have never really examined anyone's install procedure.

If an exhaust is not installed correctly then it will undoubtedly will cause a resonance in the cabin which can equal a drone. For example, install the exhaust, but don't fully tighten any of the hardware. You will start the car and the exhaust will vibrate like crazy, right? It will sound awful. Now tighten things down and make sure the exhaust is mounted correctly. Those vibrations are gone and you have an exhaust that will sound as intended.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:12 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Having had many of the systems mentioned, I would go with a system that has the least amout of clamped joints. Preferably none. No matter how good/big the clamp, they will all eventually loosen/drone on a turbo.
The old dual can tubi, (one peice off the cats) was a really nice system, too bad they went the multijoint/drone route.
Perhaps AWE could make you a solid/1 peice crossover system for the 997.1 with the RSR style tips....THAT would be a nice system!
Just my 47cents

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 03-29-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
I've had many exhaust systems on various cars (B&B, Corsa, Europipe, Magnaflow, never an AWE though) and install was never the source of drone - it was always the design of the system - some have more resonance than others just because of their internal design not the clamping hardware. Vibration from a bad install is fixable, drone from a bad system is not. I've experienced no drone with Europipe or with OEM PSE. BTW, drone is much more prevalent with automatic transmissions.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Overdraft is infamous around these parts
I had BBI as a choice, but a couple three 6-speeders as I remember said there was some resonance/drone from that system if speed is kept at 55 or so. You find no drone? The sound of the BBI is tremendous.

I picked the car up yesterday and went for a drive at highway speed intently listening for drone - or any other sound that was offensive - which pleased to report none was heard. I chose the "quiet unit" (which I can't remember if that was stage 1 or stage 3) but it sounds nice....though may be quiet for some. Will be able to transport my wife or business associates or talk on the cell phone without apologizing for noise - which is good. It is really very civil...

Old 03-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by skeeter

Skeeter is correct - I understand only the 997.2 can use the OEM cats - I like that....and by the way...the tips are killer...

Old 03-31-2011, 05:01 AM
Originally Posted by Car-Narcissist
So no drone when cruising. How's the sound when you're crushing the pedal and any place in between?

Mash it down sounds like my old GT3....on the way up, sounds 'slightly custom'...which was what I was after.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by skeeter
Wonder if the 977.2 cats would fit the 997.1? That would be considerate of Porsche. this would sure make things simplier for warranty purposes.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:06 PM
GT-TT is infamous around these partsGT-TT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mike/AWE
Great question.

Size, shape, and the internal baffeling of the resonators or mufflers. This is plays a huge part.

Also, how the system is mounted to the car. That can also play a role on how loud the system is inside the cabin.

Sound is vibration. Since we design and make our Porsche systems on site, we have the luxury of trying multiple prototypes. We can quickly play with and adjust certain variables to achieve a desired result. This is a huge advantage for us.

Also, the flat six turbo motor in our opinion is not one that needs a switchable system, we also cannot justify the added expense. The Audi R8 V8 an V10 on the other hand respond well to a switch. That is why we incorporated one into those exhaust systems.

Thanks for asking.
just an observation here. Did some tests with custom made exhaust based on GT2 titanium box with 100 cell cats and electronic throttles and the GT1 engine loves this setup. Measured around 200mbar backpressure with the flaps closed and <50mbar with flaps open with over 1.5bar boost. Difference was around 25hp and 50nm on the dyno and on the road you can feel at least that and some.. Also lag is noticeably less, not to mention EGTs. Noise is fantastic too. Having tried 5 different exhasuts on 996 and 997tt this is the best system i ever had.
Mine works with an ECU opening the flaps when boost comes and its a treat. Tried the remote and did not like it and hence installed and on/off button in the car. The remote was just way too cumbersome imo and not user friendly at all.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:39 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
The more seams and weld joints or stretched metals the greater the drone.
The more nuts and bolts loosened clamps the greater the drone and leaks.

The metal PROPERTIES (including alloy mixes) AND the exhaust CONSTRUCTION
AND proper INSTALLATION are all key to high performance systems.

Titanium- HEAT RESISTANCE
GREATER STRENGTH
CORROSION FREE
EXTREMELY LIGHT WEIGHT

It cost more because the metal is EXPENSIVE.
But if you want the BEST system able to drive around salty coastal areas year round, through mud ice and snow, winters and summers... BAR NONE... TITANIUM is what you get what you pay for.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Couple interesting choices for turbo exhaust